My Song 'lifeforms' Is Finished!, Free Download via Bandcamp
Taka Perry
Jan 5 2014, 01:53 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey friends,

A while back I posted a work in progress on this forum on this thread. Today, I've finally finished this song, and I'm very happy with it.

I think I've done all I can in terms of mastering, as I don't have monitors. I know that it's probably not perfect, but I hope there is a lot of improvement from the original drafts I uploaded. Hopefully Tony Miro will see this smile.gif

Anyway, it is a free download from Bandcamp, so I hope you enjoy it, and please let me know what you think of it smile.gif

http://takaperry.bandcamp.com/album/lifeforms

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Jan 5 2014, 02:43 AM
GMC:er
I'm digging it man! What sort of method do you use for tracking your drums? I'm looking for all the suggestions I can grab for methods of writing and tracking drum sequences.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jan 5 2014, 05:39 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Jan 5 2014, 12:43 PM) *
I'm digging it man! What sort of method do you use for tracking your drums? I'm looking for all the suggestions I can grab for methods of writing and tracking drum sequences.

Hey Doug,

Thanks a lot! smile.gif For drums, I used EZDrummer, and programmed all the beats through a piano roll editor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Jan 5 2014, 01:02 PM
Man, this is awesome .
Keep' em coming biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 5 2014, 01:12 PM
Instructor
Great job Taka! You're a very talented young man smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 5 2014, 01:26 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! I like the way you implement electronic music into your compositions smile.gif I am listening right now and got hooked on the groove starting at 0:33.

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jan 5 2014, 03:54 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Nice track! I get some Katatonia vibes in spots. The track remains interesting throughout. Keep it up!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 5 2014, 04:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
really cool, mate. I like that smile.gif
you blend the synths and guitars incredibly well and get solid hooks and melodies. Awesome job dude.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jan 6 2014, 08:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Jan 5 2014, 11:02 PM) *
Man, this is awesome .
Keep' em coming biggrin.gif

Thank you TeoWulf smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jan 5 2014, 11:12 PM) *
Great job Taka! You're a very talented young man smile.gif

Thanks Darius! smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 5 2014, 11:26 PM) *
Hey mate! I like the way you implement electronic music into your compositions smile.gif I am listening right now and got hooked on the groove starting at 0:33.

I thought someone would mention the electronic influences smile.gif I'm a big fan of synths and large instrumentation s.
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jan 6 2014, 01:54 AM) *
Nice track! I get some Katatonia vibes in spots. The track remains interesting throughout. Keep it up!

Thanks DeGroot! Looks like I'll have to check out Katatonia, I've heard of them along the way but never listened to them, where should I start?

QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 6 2014, 02:09 AM) *
really cool, mate. I like that smile.gif
you blend the synths and guitars incredibly well and get solid hooks and melodies. Awesome job dude.

Thanks bleez! I appreciate it smile.gif

Now, I have a bit of a question, more related to mixing at home. As you may know, at the moment I don't have studio monitors, and I've known that I need them for a while. But, the thing is, they are quite expensive here in Australia (US price + $250), and to get the most out of them, I'd probably need acoustic room treatment and that kind of stuff. I'll say first I'm not expecting to get the most professional recordings out there, but I want something that will let me have a bit more reference when I'm mixing.

I'm not too worried about mastering, because I can get that done by people who actually know what they are doing, and are doing that in properly set up environments. But I'd like to be able to get better mixes at home. I know part of this is about training your ears and being comfortable in your DAW, but also I have seen headphones with flat frequency responses making it ideal for mixing. I'm really interested to know if anyone here uses or has used studio headphones for mixing.

I've been looking at a few pairs, but on that caught my attention is the AKG K240 mkii. Runs for about $200. It's said to have a very flat frequency response, much like monitors.

You know, I'll probably end up getting monitors in the future, but at the moment paying $500-600 to get properly set monitors is a bit out of the question. What are your thoughts, friends?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 6 2014, 09:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Jan 6 2014, 07:18 AM) *

Thanks Darius! smile.gif

I thought someone would mention the electronic influences smile.gif I'm a big fan of synths and large instrumentation s.

Thanks DeGroot! Looks like I'll have to check out Katatonia, I've heard of them along the way but never listened to them, where should I start?

Now, I have a bit of a question, more related to mixing at home. As you may know, at the moment I don't have studio monitors, and I've known that I need them for a while. But, the thing is, they are quite expensive here in Australia (US price + $250), and to get the most out of them, I'd probably need acoustic room treatment and that kind of stuff. I'll say first I'm not expecting to get the most professional recordings out there, but I want something that will let me have a bit more reference when I'm mixing.

I'm not too worried about mastering, because I can get that done by people who actually know what they are doing, and are doing that in properly set up environments. But I'd like to be able to get better mixes at home. I know part of this is about training your ears and being comfortable in your DAW, but also I have seen headphones with flat frequency responses making it ideal for mixing. I'm really interested to know if anyone here uses or has used studio headphones for mixing.

I've been looking at a few pairs, but on that caught my attention is the AKG K240 mkii. Runs for about $200. It's said to have a very flat frequency response, much like monitors.

You know, I'll probably end up getting monitors in the future, but at the moment paying $500-600 to get properly set monitors is a bit out of the question. What are your thoughts, friends?

Hey mate smile.gif I think that a while ago, Todd started a thread on headphones and he knows a thing or two about them - why not write to him? I'm sure he can help out and tonymiro as well - he is the big fish here in respect to sound engineering and he always helps out!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jan 6 2014, 01:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Cosmin. smile.gif sent Todd a message so hopefully he'll see that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 7 2014, 08:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Jan 6 2014, 12:13 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin. smile.gif sent Todd a message so hopefully he'll see that.

Good going mate - I know he mentioned a pair of Senheiser headphones which Darius also knows stuff about.. We'll see who gets here first smile.gif

Anyway, keep up the good work wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2014, 09:47 PM
Hey there! smile.gif I've got a pair of the AKG phones you mentioned and I like them a lot smile.gif For the money, nice and flat, non enclosed so they don't exaggerate bass too much. But still headphones so you are kinda guessing as to the actual stereo field. Such is life mixing on headphones though. Here is the link where we debated the merits of several cool sets of cans and Darius and Mr. Miro had really good posts as well!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=46926

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Jan 6 2014, 02:18 AM) *

Thanks Darius! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jan 8 2014, 04:03 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 8 2014, 07:47 AM) *
Hey there! smile.gif I've got a pair of the AKG phones you mentioned and I like them a lot smile.gif For the money, nice and flat, non enclosed so they don't exaggerate bass too much. But still headphones so you are kinda guessing as to the actual stereo field. Such is life mixing on headphones though. Here is the link where we debated the merits of several cool sets of cans and Darius and Mr. Miro had really good posts as well!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=46926

Hey, thanks Todd! I replied in the thread you linked smile.gif Just had a few questions

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 8 2014, 08:58 AM
Instructor
Hehe - so you too got connected on the subject smile.gif Mission accomplished! Taka, have you decided on something yet?

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jan 9 2014, 01:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 8 2014, 06:58 PM) *
Hehe - so you too got connected on the subject smile.gif Mission accomplished! Taka, have you decided on something yet?

I'm going to go to a music store and try out the different headphones, to see which ones are the right ones for me smile.gif the headphones I mentioned do seem to have a good reputation.

I've had a few comments saying the low end in my song is lacking, so if the headphones make the low end sound lacking, then that's a good thing, right? Flat frequency response smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 10 2014, 09:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Jan 9 2014, 12:12 PM) *
I'm going to go to a music store and try out the different headphones, to see which ones are the right ones for me smile.gif the headphones I mentioned do seem to have a good reputation.

I've had a few comments saying the low end in my song is lacking, so if the headphones make the low end sound lacking, then that's a good thing, right? Flat frequency response smile.gif

Most likely so - but you need to compare them. I for one tried about 4 pairs of studio monitors when I wen to get mine. I didn't exactly know what I was going to buy, but luckily, I was accompanied by a good friend who knows how to select them and what to listen to.

I was thinking that I would leave the shop with the KRK RoKIT8 but they sound too artificial for guitar music, so that's when the Yamaha HS7 set made an entrance. They sound much more organic in comparison to the KRKs.

Let us know what your conclusions are after the visit biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:07 PM