What Happened?
gstan
Jul 11 2007, 11:12 PM
GMC:er
All of a sudden it seems most of the tabs esp the new ones are plauge with L's.... does this signify something or is a boo boo.... wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 11 2007, 11:19 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (gstan @ Jul 11 2007, 06:12 PM) *
All of a sudden it seems most of the tabs esp the new ones are plauge with L's.... does this signify something or is a boo boo.... wink.gif

I guess it is because everyone is using Guitar
pro to do their tabs - Guitar Pro uses Ls to signify tied notes, but I don't think its too clear, especially when you paste it into the forum, the alignment ususally seems to suffer.

I suspect that this is because although people use the Courier font, the spaces don't seem to be fixed width like the rest of the characters are.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 11 2007, 11:20 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
gstan
Jul 11 2007, 11:22 PM
hey andrew thanks....So it's just a tie? no sweat.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 11 2007, 11:24 PM
QUOTE (gstan @ Jul 11 2007, 06:22 PM) *
hey andrew thanks....So it's just a tie? no sweat.

Yes smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 11 2007, 11:25 PM
GMC Founder
Any suggestions on how we should go about this to make it more clear?

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 11 2007, 11:26 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 11 2007, 06:25 PM) *
Any suggestions on how we should go about this to make it more clear?

smile.gif

I guess the easiest way would be to replace the ASCII tabs with GIF or JPG exports from Guitar Pro ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
gstan
Jul 11 2007, 11:27 PM
Not sure but boy is it irritating.

Hey kris your site is awesome....

me and my 15 year old thanks you.

Kris....I have a question I would like to discuss with you about my kids playing... where shoud I post it.

+Quote Post
Speedeh
Jul 12 2007, 05:11 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 11 2007, 11:26 PM) *
I guess the easiest way would be to replace the ASCII tabs with GIF or JPG exports from Guitar Pro ...

But I'm a chronic text highlighter. How will I highlight the section I want to focus on if it's in .jpg form. Think of the children sad.gif

+Quote Post
gstan
Jul 12 2007, 01:39 PM
QUOTE (Speedeh @ Jul 12 2007, 12:11 AM) *
But I'm a chronic text highlighter. How will I highlight the section I want to focus on if it's in .jpg form. Think of the children sad.gif

YOU could always print it

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 12 2007, 01:56 PM
GMC Founder
We will have to think more about it!

Gstan thank you smile.gif - post on the main board in the forum!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 02:06 PM
Here are a few more thoughts:

Obviously the TAB is a hugely important part of the lesson, and each format has its drawbacks:
  • ASCII tabs have no timing information
  • Not everyone reads music
  • JPG tabs can't be highlighted
  • GP tabs can't be read without buying a program
So here is my suggestion:

1. Require all instrucors to have GP5 (or maybe GMC could buy a copy for instructors that don't have it)
2. Standardise on GP tabs for all lessons
3. Once a GP tab exists, it is simple to export to ASCII, JPG and Powertab
4. Provide all 4 of the above with each lesson

That should cover all bases, and isn't a huge amount of extra work for the instructors once they have tabbed it in GP which most do anyway.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 12 2007, 02:07 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 13 2007, 10:36 AM
GMC Founder
Thanks for the ideas - I hope we can give the lesson tempalte som epriority and shape up quite some things in there! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:58 AM