I Think It's Time To Start Looking For A New Guitar, and sell my Burny
PosterBoy
Feb 7 2014, 06:57 PM
Learning Roadie
After 3 years of owning it (a 1983 Burny Flg-90) and swapping pickups to Bare Knuckle Emeralds, it still has never become my go to guitar.

I had a Gretsch Powerjet before this and never bonded with that.

I'm not sure if it's just the 24.75 scale or 24.75 scale and humbuckers that aren't for me.

Either way it's going to find a new home.

So I'll be looking for something new

My first choice would be

But alas my budget will be around €1000

I'm not metal, I'm at most a hard rocker, but probably more a classic rock, Alt Country type so traditional guitars are my go to

Saying that I'd quite like to try the Ibanez FRM 100TR Paul Gilbert's Production Fireman (it might let me know if I like 24.75 scale at all)

I've got a Tele with seriously hot single coils in it (Bare Knuckle Pile drivers) and a Tyler Burning Water 2K
so I've got a High End Super strat but I quite like the Charvel San Dimas.

What are your suggestions?

Chances are I won't be able to try before buy as Ireland is really bad for guitar shops

If you've got this far, thank you for letting me waffle on

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 7 2014, 08:36 PM
GMC:er
It honestly sounds like you've already sort of answered your own question smile.gif The models mentioned are solid and should do you just fine. I"m a bit more Metal so my guitar tastes pick up around where your's leave off so I don't think I could point you towards much that you don't already know bout. I would of course, suggest that you go and put your hands on anything and everything before making a purchasing.

For a budget of around 1k and your looking for something with p90s or single coils? Something with a tele/strat vibe?

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Feb 7 2014, 12:57 PM) *
After 3 years of owning it (a 1983 Burny Flg-90) and swapping pickups to Bare Knuckle Emeralds, it still has never become my go to guitar.

I had a Gretsch Powerjet before this and never bonded with that.

I'm not sure if it's just the 24.75 scale or 24.75 scale and humbuckers that aren't for me.

Either way it's going to find a new home.

So I'll be looking for something new

My first choice would be

But alas my budget will be around €1000

I'm not metal, I'm at most a hard rocker, but probably more a classic rock, Alt Country type so traditional guitars are my go to

Saying that I'd quite like to try the Ibanez FRM 100TR Paul Gilbert's Production Fireman (it might let me know if I like 24.75 scale at all)

I've got a Tele with seriously hot single coils in it (Bare Knuckle Pile drivers) and a Tyler Burning Water 2K
so I've got a High End Super strat but I quite like the Charvel San Dimas.

What are your suggestions?

Chances are I won't be able to try before buy as Ireland is really bad for guitar shops

If you've got this far, thank you for letting me waffle on

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 7 2014, 08:50 PM
GMC:er
While reading I also thought you'd like a hotter (and maybe noiseless) single in the neck and a thick sounding hum. on bridge.

Both Fender and Charvel has nice options, I'm not sure of the prices but I really liked the newer affordable charvel's I played till now. maybe something like this?

http://www.charvel.com/en-TR/guitars//sear...rtno=2966001509

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 8 2014, 12:51 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm going to give it one more try and string it with 11's since I use 10's on Tele and Strat gauge, we'll see if that makes a difference to me

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 9 2014, 10:09 AM
Instructor
I'd definitely go for the Tele smile.gif It's a guitar I've always liked, even though it's not that playing friendly - oh the sacrifices we are willing to make for the tone tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 9 2014, 11:45 AM
Instructor
| think with this budget You could go for Fender Tele 52 reissue. I was always sceptical about Fenders from the standard series but a had a few 52 reissue in my hands and all where a 100% what we expect from tele. The only thing I would fix (since I'm not a kind of vintage addicted person) is the 3 way switch. There is no neck and bridge tone on the 2nd position. It's only neck pickup again but with full capacitor range cut.

+Quote Post
korblitz
Feb 9 2014, 01:45 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Try a PRS. They use a 25" scale length.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 9 2014, 07:40 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Feb 9 2014, 10:45 AM) *
| think with this budget You could go for Fender Tele 52 reissue. I was always sceptical about Fenders from the standard series but a had a few 52 reissue in my hands and all where a 100% what we expect from tele. The only thing I would fix (since I'm not a kind of vintage addicted person) is the 3 way switch. There is no neck and bridge tone on the 2nd position. It's only neck pickup again but with full capacitor range cut.

My current Tele is fantastic I've just recently had it refretted with Jumbo frets, and it plays and sounds like a dream. Another Tele would need to give me something different so either P90's, Nashville Tele, B Bender or like the above humbucker in the bridge and p90 in the neck.

The thought of building one from parts has played on my mind but I think could cost me a fair bit more than my budget.

I'm going to give the Burny another chance this week no I've restrung with 11's, so we'll see how that goes.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 9 2014, 10:50 PM
Instructor
Ok. I understand smile.gif will think different way smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 10 2014, 08:58 AM
Instructor
Thinking about making it out of separate parts - how about this smile.gif Have you ever heard about Warmoth?

http://www.warmoth.com/

It's a website where you can build a dream guitar out of parts smile.gif Check it out, maybe it will inspire you wink.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 11 2014, 11:14 AM
Learning Roadie
Cosmin I have looked at Warmoth and USAGC etc many times, but I'm very aware of my lack of skills with DIY.

I recently looked at http://mjtagedfinishes.com/

He gets a lot of very good reviews, and he finishes and ages the parts really well, and makes sure the neck pocket and neck go together well. I'd probably go this route if I do a make my own and then go to the guy who did my refret to do a full check and set up on it once I'd built it.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 11 2014, 11:42 AM
Instructor
Interesting stuff! I'm also planning to contract a luthier who builds my own guitar. I was planning to start soon but I'm not sure to be ready to affront it economically, but maybe later this year or the next one.

Check this awesome work:
Attached Image

The guy is called "Jeg" luthier, and it will be definitely my choice. He lives in my city.

more pics and guitars:
https://www.facebook.com/jeg.luthier/photos_all

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 11 2014, 03:01 PM
Learning Roadie
Have you seen the new PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd that has a similar vibe, much cheaper but obviously won't be completely to your specification

http://www.prsguitars.com/se_floyd_custom24/

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Feb 11 2014, 03:12 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
What Tele is that in the picture? :-)
That looks awesome :-)

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 11 2014, 03:34 PM
Learning Roadie
It's a Danocaster made by Dan Strain. He's doesn't make the bodies and necks but gets a company to, to his specs and wood quality etc

One of Keith Urban's main Teles is one of his (the white one without pickguard)

http://www.danocaster.com/danocaster/Home.html

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Feb 11 2014, 03:57 PM
Do you know what they go for?

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 11 2014, 04:31 PM
Learning Roadie
Around between $1800 and $2300 I think

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 12 2014, 08:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Feb 11 2014, 02:01 PM) *
Have you seen the new PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd that has a similar vibe, much cheaper but obviously won't be completely to your specification

http://www.prsguitars.com/se_floyd_custom24/

Played this one - it's really nice, but alas, that Floyd is a nuisance to me, so I would not get it.

But mate - whatever floats your boat - I for one, wouldn't endeavor in building my own guitar because I am VERY non technical person laugh.gif If you invest the money, make sure you can get things done wink.gif The guitars in the site you posted look beautiful! If it's an aged visage you are aiming for, it looks like this is an option.

Gabi - that guitar looks very nice and the building process must be thrilling! You want it with the French Lilly in the 12th fret?

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Feb 13 2014, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the info PosterBoy :-)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 02:53 PM