2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Tuning Do You Mostly Play In?
Hemlok
Jul 1 2007, 05:02 AM
GMC:er
My Les Paul is usually tuned to Open E or Open D, and my Jackson is either Standard or Drop D tuning.

Do you guys use different? If so what tuning do you use, and what style of music do you play with it?

Ooh and also, I have ordered a Light Pick as seen in Muris Varjic's lesson. So thats on its way and im excited. smile.gif
Light Picks

- Hemlok

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 1 2007, 05:06 AM

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 1 2007, 05:09 AM
I use a few different tunings depending on the mood. For my band i either play drop c or standard. Standard is very versitile and dropped c is very evil and heavy which is great for metal. Drop D i only use very occasionally. Sometimes tuning to chords is a great way to play errie music or happier tones. Currently to play Opeth or to write my own Errie music i use D minor tuning or E minor. (d minor is better) Its a great tuning and i love being able to play chords without putting any fingers down biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 1 2007, 05:13 AM
cool, im gonna have to try a few of them out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 1 2007, 05:51 AM
Standard tuning all the way. I dont know why, but ive never tried other tunings out. It jsut woudlnt feel right ot me when i play!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 1 2007, 05:55 AM
Standard E usually. When I play with my band I tune it to standard D. And when I practice stuff from my SRV DVDs I tune it to standard Db. Well, to just put it short: Standard tuning.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Jul 1 2007, 09:57 AM
Stratocaster is most of the time in Standard very rare in Eb. I tune this guitar on standard because its good for bluesy stuff and it just fits the tuning.

Schecter C-1+ is mostly tuned a whole step down or drop c. Recently it has been 2 steps down for that In Flames sound.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 1 2007, 10:42 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Standard tuning. If the song calls for drop D I will tune to that, but only then.

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Jul 1 2007, 11:30 AM
Standard, and occasionally drop-D, for me.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 1 2007, 11:43 AM
Instructor
I use only standard tuning. As soon as i get my 7-string i won't need any other tunings biggrin.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 1 2007, 02:21 PM
CGCFAD

Drop C.

Occassionally in standard or drop d.

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jul 1 2007, 03:18 PM
i just have standard tuning most of the time.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 1 2007, 03:28 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 1 2007, 06:43 AM) *
I use only standard tuning. As soon as i get my 7-string i won't need any other tunings biggrin.gif

Hey Pavel, even when you get your RC7, you have to promise to do a regular lesson for us 6 stringers once in a while smile.gif (Although it will be cool to get some 7 string lessons going as I have NEVER seen any elsewhere - another first for GMC!)

BTW, I use Standard E, and have experimented with Drop D a couple of times even though I have never really used it.

FWIW, my Variax guitar can be programmed with any possible tuning and you can then switch to it at the flick of a switch - way cool!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 1 2007, 03:29 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 1 2007, 04:26 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 2 2007, 12:28 AM) *
FWIW, my Variax guitar can be programmed with any possible tuning and you can then switch to it at the flick of a switch - way cool!

That is extremely cool Andrew! I find it alot of fun to change tunings, especially on acoustic. But it is hard sometimes to play in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
icedern
Jul 1 2007, 05:39 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 1 2007, 05:43 AM) *

Ditto! Man, that would be awesome to have some 7-string lessons wink.gif *nudge nudge, wink wink*

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 1 2007, 06:01 PM
standard. probably will use others later on.

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jul 1 2007, 06:19 PM
standard and drop d.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 1 2007, 06:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 1 2007, 04:28 PM) *

Little question here - although your guitar is programmable - you still here the string ringing when playing really quiet, don't you? I mean if you turn off the amp or speakers or whatever - you hear the string ringing?

EDIT: it may sound stupid - of course it does ring!!!

This post has been edited by Pavel: Jul 1 2007, 08:10 PM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 1 2007, 07:14 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 1 2007, 12:27 PM) *
Little question here - although your guitar is programmable - you still here the string ringing when playing really quiet, don't you? I mean if you turn off the amp or speakers or whatever - you hear the string ringing?

"It is not that i don't know about this invention, it is that i would be ashamed to use it" - Chuang Tzu

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 1 2007, 07:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 1 2007, 07:27 PM) *

Yes, the string rings in the original pitch

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 1 2007, 08:09 PM
Instructor
That's what i mean! It sucks to hear the string ringing E and the amp playing D or whatever....unless you are stone deaf. So that's why you can't play Variax on low volumes because you will ALWAYS here the wrong note coming from string ringing!!!

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 1 2007, 08:14 PM) *
"It is not that i don't know about this invention, it is that i would be ashamed to use it" - Chuang Tzu

What was that supposed to mean?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:37 AM