Guys With V-guitars, Please Look Here!, Comfortable to sit?
mhskeide
Feb 19 2009, 11:39 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
In my quest for a new shredaxe, the Jackson RR5 has crossed my mind

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/pro...duct=2913002877

My question, is it comfortable to sit and play with for hours? I`m already kinda used to play on the "classic way" with the guitar resting on the left foot... but haven`t tried it out with a V guitar.

Because except from that issue...I think I`m in love with the guitar. Stringthrough, neckthrough, SD humbuckers, AWESOME finish and a body that really demands attention! Also...I don`t know, but believes that the neck is a bit thin and great for blazin leads (even if I`m not capable of playing that yet biggrin.gif )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 19 2009, 11:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
It's a great guitar! I'Ve played it and loved it besides the old school look but hey to each their own.
The Neck is thin but not as thin as an Ibanez Wizard Neck; Jackson Necks are very comfortable!

If you're comfortable with the 'classic' way playing then it's no problem, the V shape fits on your right leg and therefore stays in the classic position without even having to hold the guitar. My Flying V plays so comfortable in that position that I can't play my les paul in a normal way anymore...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 19 2009, 11:53 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Feb 19 2009, 11:47 PM) *
It's a great guitar! I'Ve played it and loved it besides the old school look but hey to each their own.
The Neck is thin but not as thin as an Ibanez Wizard Neck; Jackson Necks are very comfortable!

If you're comfortable with the 'classic' way playing then it's no problem, the V shape fits on your right leg and therefore stays in the classic position without even having to hold the guitar. My Flying V plays so comfortable in that position that I can't play my les paul in a normal way anymore...

Wow, sounds great smile.gif

I really like the wizard necks, but I`ve tried so few "shredbrands" except Ibanez, so that`s almost the only neck I know. Therefore it`s hard for me to make up my mind when people are saying think and thick necks. If I hear thin, I immediately think wizard, and vice verca with Les Paul.
I`ll guess I have to try one in some way... don`t know if I want to risk ordering and disliking it even if someone surely will buy it from me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Feb 20 2009, 12:34 AM
GMC:er
Jackson necks are not quite as thin as Ibanez necks. But the RR is a thinner neck than most Jacksons I believe.

I used to have a RR3. I played it sitting just fine. On the right leg. Just as Zakk said.

Or I'd lean back in my chair and have it right where it would be if I were standing. Not good posture, but it worked there too.

QUOTE (jer @ Feb 19 2009, 05:32 PM) *
Jackson necks are not quite as thin as Ibanez necks. But the RR is a thinner neck than most Jacksons I believe.

I used to have a RR3. I played it sitting just fine. On the right leg. Just as Zakk said.

Or I'd lean back in my chair and have it right where it would be if I were standing. Not good posture, but it worked there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag878yvgAkc...feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbrxFPTDrc0

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Aleksander Sukov...
Feb 20 2009, 01:27 AM
Instructor
That axe looks awesome!

I had something like this Epiphone Flying-V

It had a great sound, but was awful for playing when sitting... couldn't wait to get rid of it dry.gif

This post has been edited by Aleksander Sukovic: Feb 20 2009, 01:31 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 20 2009, 01:29 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I had an RX10D which I personally could not get used to in the classical position. For me, playing that guitar with a strap was mandatory. Just a perspective on the other side of the coin. smile.gif If you can, I would suggest that you go to a music store and set down with an "offset V" of any brand and see how you like it. Seemed the shorter horn did make it a bit easier.

It's definitely a quality guitar!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 20 2009, 01:31 AM
Learning Tone Master
I actually meant this position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOcJL7oI-WE

Comfy as hell!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 20 2009, 01:36 PM
Instructor
I was actually surprised how comfortable it was to sit with a flying-v when i tried a friends Dean a few weeks ago.

You have to use the same position as Amott did in the video above this post though, otherwise it's physically impossible smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Feb 20 2009, 05:05 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Feb 20 2009, 01:31 AM) *
I actually meant this position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOcJL7oI-WE

Comfy as hell!

That position I meant as well. I`ll try to find a guitar with the same shape so I can test.
I often want different guitar, but I gotta say that this guitar melted my heart rolleyes.gif

Btw, what an insane amount of gain Ammot used in that vid tongue.gif
wish I could afford a Krankenstein as well, but I`ll guess I`m gonna stick to my plan of getting a combo, either the Engl Screamer 50 or Hughes & Kettner Switchblade

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 20 2009, 05:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Feb 20 2009, 05:05 PM) *
That position I meant as well. I`ll try to find a guitar with the same shape so I can test.
I often want different guitar, but I gotta say that this guitar melted my heart rolleyes.gif

Btw, what an insane amount of gain Ammot used in that vid tongue.gif
wish I could afford a Krankenstein as well, but I`ll guess I`m gonna stick to my plan of getting a combo, either the Engl Screamer 50 or Hughes & Kettner Switchblade

It's a Krank Revolution btw...and his tone isn't the best with Krank amps -.-

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:33 AM