Argue For Your Limitations, And Sure Enough They Are Yours!, A brief introduction and some thoughts from the windy north....
JensN
Jan 24 2008, 02:05 PM
GMC:er
Hello everyone!

My name is Jens, I’m closing in to 39 years beneath the sun, and with regards to where I live (south of Stockholm , Sweden) I’ve probably seen as much of the moon. Not a bad thing though, since I kinda like late nights (about as much as I dislike early mornings tongue.gif )

I will talk a little of the title of this thread, but first I’d like to introduce myself properly.

My musical background goes back to the middle of the 80’s when I started to learn to play keyboard. My first experience in a band was behind the keyboard and there was this guitarist who, just as me, was more or less self taught. This made things rather complicated trying to communicate musical ideas as we couldn’t understand each other. Instead of doing what we should have done, study musical theory, we decided it was a good idea that he taught me everything he could about how to play guitar. Ever since, I have come back to playing guitar regularly.

However, the two of us started a new band together with two other friends a couple of years later. We found ourselves in a new dilemma. Three guitar players and a drummer, and no one on bass. Anyone been there? wink.gif All of us was about as (un)skilled as guitarists so we draw straw about who would take on the “burden” of playing the bass. I draw the shortest straw, took up the bass and was like “Wow, THIS is my instrument”. I loved every minute of it, still do, and so I became rather good at it. I’ve been playing everything from pop, indie, R`n´B and funk to heavy rock and metal in different bands as a bassist.

All this time I was also composing, arranging and recording my own songs in my little home built studio with a Roland D20 synthesizer, a drum machine, my beloved bass and a borrowed Ibanez Roadstar II (still miss that one, a lovely guitar it was).

Then came family, kids and work and all that goes with that and my instruments became less and less played until two years ago when I got the opportunity to do a couple of gigs with a semi professional band who needed a bass player. That really set my, by that time, tiny musical sparkle into a roaring flame again! biggrin.gif

About a year ago me, my girlfriend (who also sings in a gospel quire and plays the alt saxophone), and a friend who plays drums started a new band together with his wife, also a singer, and another of my friends on bass. So I found myself picking up the guitar thinking I had what it takes, but I very soon realized that I wanted to play and express a lot more then I was capable of, especially since I’ve always been cheating with the theory.

No more!

I’ve come to the point where I really, really want to learn and develop all the skills I need to be able to play whatever I want, whenever I want to, on my guitars.

I need to go back to the basics when it comes to theory and lead guitar. My rhythm guitar skills are quite solid, but I have no doubt those will increase dramatically as well.

For about half a year now, I’ve been searching for books, DVD-courses and whatnot to help me with this task. I bought a couple of DVD-courses that I found really great and that helps me tremendously with the basics of musical theory and my guitar playing in general. During this time I have been lurking the GMC-forums as well, and I think this place looks awesome for many reasons. So yesterday I decided it is time for me to join in the fray, and hopefully I can contribute a little as well.

The road to Greatness Hood is now open! wink.gif

Now about the title of this thread:
“Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they are yours”.

This is something I try to live by in all parts of life.
Why? Because, as long as you think you won’t be able to do something that will most likely be true.
As an example, if you look at a lesson here at GMC and think to your self: “Wow, that’s amazing, but I will never be able to play like that”. Then you are limiting your self and those thoughts will likely hinder you from ever be able to play like that, since you won’t put your soul into even trying properly. So it becomes a truth of sorts.

Please don’t do that.
Don’t argue for your limitations, instead look at what you can accomplish and aim at that.
For a start! smile.gif

I must take the opportunity to send my greatest thanks to Andrew Cockburn for his theory lessons. Great reading, and very, very helpful!

Thank you Andrew!

And to Kris: Yes, I’m ready! Finaly. cool.gif

See you all around and don't let the dogs eat your inspiration...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- JensN   Argue For Your Limitations, And Sure Enough They Are Yours!   Jan 24 2008, 02:05 PM
- - lavendell   Hi Jens, Welcome to GMC! Nice story and I ...   Jan 24 2008, 02:23 PM
- - Andrew Cockburn   Hey Jens! What a great story! I'm so ...   Jan 24 2008, 02:38 PM
- - Smells   great intro post! welcome to GMC   Jan 24 2008, 02:43 PM
|- - Muris   Awesome introduction Jens,welcome to GMC!...   Jan 24 2008, 04:19 PM
nnn
- - Maximus   Welcome to GMC!   Jan 24 2008, 04:24 PM
- - Bogdan   Fabulous story and great advices there !! ...   Jan 24 2008, 05:16 PM
- - Milenkovic Ivan   Hey man, welcome aboard, we are all here for the p...   Jan 24 2008, 05:28 PM
- - coffeeman   HI Jens, I totally agree with you , if you think...   Jan 24 2008, 06:01 PM
- - JensN   Thank you all for a warm welcome! I'm cu...   Jan 24 2008, 06:55 PM
- - Pavel   Welcome and have a good time here at GMC!   Jan 24 2008, 08:56 PM
- - Jerry Arcidiacono   Welcome Jens. Great first post   Jan 25 2008, 12:51 AM
- - Smikey2006   Welcome to GMC great advice i really like it. It ...   Jan 25 2008, 01:03 AM
- - nikolai   welcome to GMC! it's good that you chose G...   Jan 25 2008, 01:20 AM
- - mattacuk   Cool Intro!! Welcome to guitarmasterclass....   Jan 25 2008, 12:33 PM
- - Gus   Hi. Welcome Interesting story   Jan 25 2008, 06:35 PM
- - kyldeee   Hi and welcome to GMC That was the best introduct...   Jan 25 2008, 06:49 PM
- - Juan M. Valero   QUOTE (JensN @ Jan 24 2008, 02:05 PM) Hel...   Jan 26 2008, 12:08 AM
- - JensN   Yeah, well, it got a bit longer then intended, but...   Jan 26 2008, 12:40 AM
- - Juan M. Valero   don't worry, that's your site so feel free...   Jan 26 2008, 12:49 AM
|- - JensN   QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Jan 26 2008, 12:4...   Jan 26 2008, 01:04 AM
nnn
- - Dejan   Nice intro, welcome   Jan 26 2008, 07:01 PM
- - Toni Suominen   Great introduction, welcome to GMC!   Jan 27 2008, 07:31 PM
- - botoxfox   Welcome   Jan 27 2008, 11:13 PM
- - Bondy   Welcome what a great first post   Jan 27 2008, 11:15 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:27 AM