Recording Your Rythmn Guitar Parts
Chris Evans
Feb 6 2008, 03:57 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Hi David,

your backing tracks are brilliantly finished, they are crystal clear.

wanted to ask you about the rythmn guitar parts that you record for them especially overdriven guitar tones, its an area that I really struggle to record well with and wondered if you had any tips, mine tend to get a little muddy and "lost".

Do you record a clean guitar with no effects apart from maybe distortion, is this guitar sound a sound that you would say normally use? or is it tailored just for recording?

thanks
Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Feb 6 2008, 03:58 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 7 2008, 09:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 6 2008, 09:57 AM) *
Hi David,

your backing tracks are brilliantly finished, they are crystal clear.

wanted to ask you about the rythmn guitar parts that you record for them especially overdriven guitar tones, its an area that I really struggle to record well with and wondered if you had any tips, mine tend to get a little muddy and "lost".

Do you record a clean guitar with no effects apart from maybe distortion, is this guitar sound a sound that you would say normally use? or is it tailored just for recording?

thanks
Chris

Great question!
For heavier tracks, I use less distortion that I might actually need. It gives the track a clearer sound and helps the guitar to be more present believe it or not..
For clean sounds, I often use loops though.
Hope that helps!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 8 2008, 12:56 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Yes I understand smile.gif I`ve just been experimenting tonight with recording distorted guitars (you may have guessed that my guitar is pretty much set to distortion laugh.gif)

Slightly less distortion and no other effects (except maybe a tiny bit of chorus) its a definate improvement on my efforts before.

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 8 2008, 02:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 7 2008, 06:56 PM) *
Yes I understand smile.gif I`ve just been experimenting tonight with recording distorted guitars (you may have guessed that my guitar is pretty much set to distortion laugh.gif)

Slightly less distortion and no other effects (except maybe a tiny bit of chorus) its a definate improvement on my efforts before.

Thanks smile.gif

Oh and also, the secret is to record 2 tracks of the same exact rhythm part. Once you have these 2 identical parts, pan them slightly right and left, you'll have a much wider sound. :-0
I always do that and it works so well!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 8 2008, 02:50 PM
GMC:er
I fully agree with David. When we record a heavy part we take the distortion down a little and record it many time and have many layers of these on top of each other and it makes it incredibly powerful. Some good tips from David.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:37 AM