How Do I Practice?
DarkWaveRiffer
Dec 12 2012, 06:01 PM
GMC:er
This question is directed to Cosmin, but can be answered by anyone. I am working on Stacotto Power Chords, and It's pretty easy, but I am having issue playing with the backing track. I don't know how to sync it up. Its not something I have learned in my year of local instruction. So this leads me to my next question. I notice almost all exercises here have backing tracks. How do I practice with them? I have a GDEC 15 AMP, Guitar Pro 6, and a crappy laptop. I have a HD camcorder for recording.
I was hoping through analysis, I could develop a sound way to practice so I can make steady progress. It's amazing how some excel faster than others, you can attribute it to many things, time, skill, teacher,environment, but if we presume all things equal between two people,but give them different lessons, one will invariably standout, to a lesser, or greater degree. What I believe is it's the bridge lessons that make you better faster. A bridge lesson is a lesson just a little bit outside of your ability, but not so much where you either give up after a time of frustration, or you persevere, you finally get it, but in the mean time you could have learned 2-3 other bridge lessons, and been that much better.

My dilemma is finding those bridge lessons, and incorporating the right way to practice to gain the full benefit of that bridge lesson. The bridge lesson builds confidence in the young (young in playing time) guitarists playing to keep going, and not give up in frustration.I think eventually you reach a point in confidence that gives you momentum to keep going. Some people reach a level of skill where they are a decent guitarist, and don't push themselves much afterwards, and stop bridging. I feel like Mozart in my head, but a 1 year old trying to play stairway to heaven on guitar. One thing I think instructors do very well here is find those bridge lessons, go ahead and coin the phrase if you want. wink.gif

So people don't misunderstand me, I am simply trying to make the most of my lessons, and give people some food for thought. I feel like my confidence in guitar is wavering, and unless I do something to solidify, and build on it, I won't reach that momentum phase. So I realize its all in how I practice.

I look forward to your thoughts.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title: Air Guitarist

Guitarist Title thread

DWR's EPIC Practice Journal l

DarkWaveRiffer's Modern Music Mentored By Cosmin Thread

Lead Mastery Mentored by Gab

Attacking Scales Mentored By Alex Thread

Want to know how to practice for success?? Click here!!

Are you sabotaging your practice? Click here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 13 2012, 09:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Dec 12 2012, 05:01 PM) *
This question is directed to Cosmin, but can be answered by anyone. I am working on Stacotto Power Chords, and It's pretty easy, but I am having issue playing with the backing track. I don't know how to sync it up. Its not something I have learned in my year of local instruction. So this leads me to my next question. I notice almost all exercises here have backing tracks. How do I practice with them? I have a GDEC 15 AMP, Guitar Pro 6, and a crappy laptop. I have a HD camcorder for recording.
I was hoping through analysis, I could develop a sound way to practice so I can make steady progress. It's amazing how some excel faster than others, you can attribute it to many things, time, skill, teacher,environment, but if we presume all things equal between two people,but give them different lessons, one will invariably standout, to a lesser, or greater degree. What I believe is it's the bridge lessons that make you better faster. A bridge lesson is a lesson just a little bit outside of your ability, but not so much where you either give up after a time of frustration, or you persevere, you finally get it, but in the mean time you could have learned 2-3 other bridge lessons, and been that much better.

My dilemma is finding those bridge lessons, and incorporating the right way to practice to gain the full benefit of that bridge lesson. The bridge lesson builds confidence in the young (young in playing time) guitarists playing to keep going, and not give up in frustration.I think eventually you reach a point in confidence that gives you momentum to keep going. Some people reach a level of skill where they are a decent guitarist, and don't push themselves much afterwards, and stop bridging. I feel like Mozart in my head, but a 1 year old trying to play stairway to heaven on guitar. One thing I think instructors do very well here is find those bridge lessons, go ahead and coin the phrase if you want. wink.gif

So people don't misunderstand me, I am simply trying to make the most of my lessons, and give people some food for thought. I feel like my confidence in guitar is wavering, and unless I do something to solidify, and build on it, I won't reach that momentum phase. So I realize its all in how I practice.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Hey mate smile.gif I noticed this one just now... Well, getting to use backing tracks and playing with confidence is usually a thing related to the rhythm and groove. This is a thing that tabs unfortunately can't take care of.

The thing lies in your hearing basically. Let's split things up like this:

- when you hear a song you like, you usually listen to it A LOT, right?
- listening to it A LOT, automatically makes you remember it
- if you can do this - usually - with a vocal line, why not do it with a guitar line or with a drum groove? It's all about listening and reproducing with your voice. Everything is slowed down, here at GMC, so that you can analyze and reproduce yourself. The catch here, is to be able to reproduce in respect to a tempo and a certain rhythmic form or groove.

Here's the process as I see it:

- start off with a simple lesson - a Bear Rose beginner lesson on shifting chords, would be the greatest and best example as it's easy to remember and play!

1) Listen to each part
2) Reproduce each part with your voice while tapping your foot against the floor (in 4ths usually) - you can use the metronome too
3) Pick up the guitar and learn left hand patterns and then the right hand strumming patterns
4) at the slowest tempo where things make sense, try and use your guitar instead of using your voice this time against the metronome

See what happens and remember - your ears will help out! Let's get back into your thread and I will give you a few easy lessons to work this skill out smile.gif Deal?

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Dec 13 2012, 05:41 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 13 2012, 03:16 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif I noticed this one just now... Well, getting to use backing tracks and playing with confidence is usually a thing related to the rhythm and groove. This is a thing that tabs unfortunately can't take care of.

The thing lies in your hearing basically. Let's split things up like this:

- when you hear a song you like, you usually listen to it A LOT, right?
- listening to it A LOT, automatically makes you remember it
- if you can do this - usually - with a vocal line, why not do it with a guitar line or with a drum groove? It's all about listening and reproducing with your voice. Everything is slowed down, here at GMC, so that you can analyze and reproduce yourself. The catch here, is to be able to reproduce in respect to a tempo and a certain rhythmic form or groove.

Here's the process as I see it:

- start off with a simple lesson - a Bear Rose beginner lesson on shifting chords, would be the greatest and best example as it's easy to remember and play!

1) Listen to each part
2) Reproduce each part with your voice while tapping your foot against the floor (in 4ths usually) - you can use the metronome too
3) Pick up the guitar and learn left hand patterns and then the right hand strumming patterns
4) at the slowest tempo where things make sense, try and use your guitar instead of using your voice this time against the metronome

See what happens and remember - your ears will help out! Let's get back into your thread and I will give you a few easy lessons to work this skill out smile.gif Deal?

Cosmin

Great info Cosmin, and everyone. I hope this info helps people, as much as it will help me. I am teaching my daughter Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer, and I have heard that song a zillion times, so the rhythm is automatic with me for that song. So I get what you are saying, if you can hum it in your head, This will go a long way in playing it with the correct rhythm. Thanks!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title: Air Guitarist

Guitarist Title thread

DWR's EPIC Practice Journal l

DarkWaveRiffer's Modern Music Mentored By Cosmin Thread

Lead Mastery Mentored by Gab

Attacking Scales Mentored By Alex Thread

Want to know how to practice for success?? Click here!!

Are you sabotaging your practice? Click here!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 13 2012, 06:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Dec 13 2012, 04:41 PM) *
Great info Cosmin, and everyone. I hope this info helps people, as much as it will help me. I am teaching my daughter Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer, and I have heard that song a zillion times, so the rhythm is automatic with me for that song. So I get what you are saying, if you can hum it in your head, This will go a long way in playing it with the correct rhythm. Thanks!

Haha! Good call buddy! You got a good example in your hands smile.gif Now pieces that are difficult will go a longer way, but the principle is the same wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:07 PM