Yjm- Fender High E-string Issues
Anders Karlsson
Jun 3 2016, 06:38 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hi guys, Im having a YJM-fender at home over the weekend just trying it out. But i have some trouble with the high e-string, it slips of the fretboard. I think you need a lighter touch because the scalooped neck, but im not feeling comfortable with it. I goggled it and it seems to be a common issue. Thou, i relly like it because it feels like you have good controll/contact with the string. Do you have any tips how to solve this out or is this kind of guitar this way? Or could you adjust the headstock "sideways" smile.gif

//Anders

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Jun 3 2016, 06:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Mertay
Jun 3 2016, 07:17 PM
GMC:er
The neck must be checked if its making any angle from the neck pocket, even a 1-2 degree angle from the body can cause issues. Shouldn't look like this;

Also check the nut if its fitted perfectly. Wouldn't expect if the guitars new but can happen with used ones.

If you don't want to increase the string size try stainless steel type instead of pure nickel, its a slight difference but it will feel tighter. You can also adjust the tremolo to be slightly angled closer to the body, again slight but will feel tighter (don't forget to adjust intonation after that).

As for playing, yeah a lighter touch would make sense given yjm's style. Using an overdrive to compress to tone should help more than increasing the amp gain by the way.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 3 2016, 07:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Jun 3 2016, 07:39 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 3 2016, 06:17 PM) *
The neck must be checked if its making any angle from the neck pocket, even a 1-2 degree angle from the body can cause issues. Shouldn't look like this;

Also check the nut if its fitted perfectly. Wouldn't expect if the guitars new but can happen with used ones.

If you don't want to increase the string size try stainless steel type instead of pure nickel, its a slight difference but it will feel tighter. You can also adjust the tremolo to be slightly angled closer to the body, again slight but will feel tighter (don't forget to adjust intonation after that).

As for playing, yeah a lighter touch would make sense given yjm's style. Using an overdrive to compress to tone should help more than increasing the amp gain by the way.

Hi there Mertay, you are helpful as always smile.gif
Here is some pics from the fretboard and nut. It seems like the high e-string is near the edges of the frets or what do you think? How do I adjust the fret board?

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Jun 3 2016, 08:09 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 3 2016, 08:55 PM
smile.gif I think that photo is taken by an angle and probably fooling the eye. If not, usually a blot squeezed too tight (can be any of the 4) can cause this. Is the guitar new or has it been serviced before? if new I really don't think the factory would make such mistake with a guitar like this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Jun 3 2016, 09:12 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 3 2016, 07:55 PM) *
smile.gif I think that photo is taken by an angle and probably fooling the eye. If not, usually a blot squeezed too tight (can be any of the 4) can cause this. Is the guitar new or has it been serviced before? if new I really don't think the factory would make such mistake with a guitar like this.

Its not a new one, made -09.I must say i really like it, but im feeling uncomfortable with the high e-string but it probably has to do with my experience regarding scalloped necks. I might just have to get used to it. I think is just a bit tight, is it possible to adjust the angel of the neck, or do you think the guitar is just in order?

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 3 2016, 09:27 PM
QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Jun 3 2016, 08:12 PM) *
Its not a new one, made -09.I must say i really like it, but im feeling uncomfortable with the high e-string but it probably has to do with my experience regarding scalloped necks. I might just have to get used to it. I think is just a bit tight, is it possible to adjust the angel of the neck, or do you think the guitar is just in order?

In my experience losing/tightening the bolts solve the issue %99 of the time, but if it doesn't then a side shim is used (just like the shims ve use onder the neck pocket) but it must be really really thin and you have to take the neck off and place it again to insert it properly. Its best to use new strings after that too.

But taking a good foto can be hard and I feel like its actually not problematic. Give it a day or 2 to see if you can get used to it. Worst case just show it to a luthier he shouldn't charge you anything for just observing.

By the way, I bought a new guitar sometime ago (cheapo jackson) and I prefer a different pick and strings compared to my ibanez I've been playing for so long. Its feels so different (even the string tension is different) it took me a while to figure out what basics made me most comfortable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 4 2016, 12:29 AM
QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Jun 3 2016, 01:39 PM) *
Hi there Mertay, you are helpful as always smile.gif
Here is some pics from the fretboard and nut. It seems like the high e-string is near the edges of the frets or what do you think? How do I adjust the fret board?

Well from the picture it surely looks that way. And if the picture were from an angle, it would seem to be an angle that would make it appear less so if anything. And you say it looks that way to you.

If you look here, you can see that it is not normal for the high E string to be so close to the edge of the frets. This site has a close up facility so you can see that.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN107110?sii...FQ4zaQodXAkLeQ=

I would go to a luthier, preferably one who works on Fenders to give you advise as to a solution. I highly doubt that the fix will be very expensive. But you probably can adjust to it and avoid instances of the string falling off the fret, maybe it is something you can live with for now and get around to dealing with later. I have a guitar that I bought recently that has an issue I can live with, and I will get around to dealing with it when I want to spend the money for a fret job, which will probably be what is required. Little things can bug you at first, but then later you may care less, and eventually care hardly at all.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 4 2016, 12:34 AM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jun 4 2016, 12:30 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I have a YJM myself and do remember the "slippage" problem with the high E when I first got it. It does take a little getting used to.

Judging from your picture though it seems that you high E is closer to the edge than mine. Its easy to slip off that beveled edge. So, probably need to a slight adjustment as Mertay was suggesting to and a bit getting used to. smile.gif Good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2016, 04:54 AM
What he said!! smile.gif That high E is just too close to the edge of the fretboard. It looks like they drilled the holes a bit off and this is the result. Sadly, moving it will probably need to go to a Luthier. As you are only borrowing it, thankfully you dont' have to fix it smile.gif

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jun 3 2016, 07:30 PM) *
I have a YJM myself and do remember the "slippage" problem with the high E when I first got it. It does take a little getting used to.

Judging from your picture though it seems that you high E is closer to the edge than mine. Its easy to slip off that beveled edge. So, probably need to a slight adjustment as Mertay was suggesting to and a bit getting used to. smile.gif Good luck!

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Jun 4 2016, 08:37 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Hi guys, I will call a luthier someone who works with Fender and see if they can solve this problem. I do like this guitar and i can buy it for a descent price. Mayby I can live with this small issue or what do you think??

I update when i have called Fender, thanks for helping.

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Jun 4 2016, 10:30 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Just talked with a vendor who is working with Fender and the technician wasnt really worried about it. I will leave it for adjustment and se how he solves it. If he does, i may buy this one.

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Jun 4 2016, 02:25 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 4 2016, 02:53 PM
QUOTE (Anders Karlsson @ Jun 4 2016, 07:37 AM) *
Hi guys, I will call a luthier someone who works with Fender and see if they can solve this problem. I do like this guitar and i can buy it for a descent price. Mayby I can live with this small issue or what do you think??

I update when i have called Fender, thanks for helping.

If there really is an issue don't worry, its a really easy fix but just a bit tireing thats why I recommend a professional..

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jun 4 2016, 02:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Jun 9 2016, 12:10 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Just got the guitar back after adjustment by a luthier and I must say there is major difference now, so i decided to buy it. have added a photo afterwards the adjustment.

Thanks for helping guys:)

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Jun 9 2016, 12:11 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 9 2016, 01:41 PM
Cool, congrats! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anders Karlsson
Jun 9 2016, 02:25 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 9 2016, 12:41 PM) *
Cool, congrats! smile.gif

Thanks Mertay:) I think the string is okej, feels much better when playing:)

This post has been edited by Anders Karlsson: Jun 9 2016, 02:26 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:46 AM