Ibanez Guitar Necks, Jem/Wizard/Ultra/etc..
Todd Simpson
Oct 11 2012, 11:28 PM
GMC:er
I'm a big IBBY fan as you guys know smile.gif I often get questions about what the heck all the different nomenclature means on their necks. Theres the Original WIZARD (My fave) Wizard II, Wizard III, Jem, Ultra, etc. In short, The WIZARD series has similar neck profile. Thin/fast but II and III are bit thicker as the original Wizards would snap under heavy gauge strings during too much dive bombing since they had 1 MILLIMETER of wood separating the truss rod inside the neck from the rest of the world. That's just crazy.

Jem necks (Steve Vai had a hand in these and they are pretty darn brilliant IMHO) have a flatted back which makes them a bit smoother/faster in general. (But of course, Yngwie plays a baseball batt e.g. fender strat, and does fine)

Ultra necks are more traditional and rarely used outside the custom shop. They feel more like a les paul neck to me. Here is a pic from Ibanez from waaay back in the day that I found online that may help.

Attached Image

These necks, heck these guitars ARE NOT EVERYONE"S CUP OF TEA, SOME FOLKS HATE EM! YNGWIE FOR ONE! but some folks dig em quite a bit. Like me smile.gif They don't pay me to say nice things about them, I have no relationship with them. I'm just a fan.

??????QUESTION??????

*WHATS YOUR FAV GUITAR MAKER AND WHY?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:07 AM