> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

40 Pages V  « < 36 37 38 39 40 >  
Hiimalex's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 3 2022, 04:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 2 2022, 05:16 PM) *
Vibrato
I think the classical vibrato is trickier than the up down one. And have been looking at some other guitarists how they do their vibrato.
Since the classical vibrato is subtle, I feel like I need to move it quite fast in order for anyone to be able hear it. Does it make sense to move it quite fast as I did even with this slow backing track? I remember you said it is important to "rhythmically with the groove of the backing track".

Thanks again in advance for your feedback smile.gif

Regarding the speed, you can go that fast but the ideal is to combine different speeds that are always related to the tempo of the backing track. If you always play at the same speed it can be monotonous, and particularly if you always play at a fast speed you're just going to sound nervous.

Another important thing is that you let the note sound and that the vibrato starts gradually, that it doesn't start instantly.

Some inspiration... it's not very Acoustic... but Satch is always fun to watch...

QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Feb 26 2022, 08:20 AM) *
I hope everything is well with you.
First of all, thank you once again for the kind comments about my progression and dedication. It is always nice to hear.

I agree with you about REC, it is something we should use in the future to share my takes.

Here is a video of me playing the Ear Training Assignment. Ode to Joy, it is actually a really fun melody to play.
I played it over a piano backing track.

Perfect! All the notes are right, and your timing is very good! Well done. smile.gif

What's the next song? What about the vocal melody of a Beatles song?

QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Feb 26 2022, 08:20 AM) *
And a video of some improvising in A Minor using this backing track https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Lead-B...nor-Pentatonic/
I tried to think about the things you mentioned last time. Playing fewer notes and focusing on rhythm.

Here is another take which I think is better. The melody in this take reminds me of the melody in the pentatonic lesson, it wasn't done on purpose smile.gif

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Great, I also think that the second video has a more interesting melodic development. It does have some tempo issues though. I think you're on the right track. For the next post I want you to work on this lesson and record a jam on that backing track.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Lead-B...-Improvisation/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Mar 3 2022, 04:32 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 4 2022, 01:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 2 2022, 05:16 PM) *
Goo Goo Dolls
A new take for this lesson. This sounds tight to me now. And it is a lot easier to play tight when I move my body with the beat. It becomes less thinking and more feeling.

Hi again mate! I don't know what happened with my feedback for this video. I wrote it earlier but it must failed.

You playing here is excellent! Your timing is perfect, but besides that, the energy of your playing and your dynamics control is perfect for this tune. This take is ready for a studio recording, or a live show. You did a killer job!

I think that the fact that you use your body to follow the rhythm helps a lot to give the necessary feeling to your performance.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Mar 4 2022, 11:57 AM
Learning Chord Basher
Hi Mate,
No worries smile.gif Thanks for all the comments.

I will start practicing all parts of the Goo Goo Dolls now and play the entire lesson. As you said, it helps to use my body to follow the rhythm.

Thank you very much for the nice comments about my improvisation. I will check the lesson about melodic improvement.

Yes! Satch is always interesting and fun to watch smile.gif I am going to watch that video and pay attention to the things you said but also try to analyze how satch adjusts his vibrato.

Yess! It sounds like a great idea to do the vocal melody of a Beatles song. By vocal melody you mean to follow the melody of the singer rather than playing the same as the guitar I guess?
It would also be interesting to try to identify chords but maybe that's a later step?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 4 2022, 01:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 4 2022, 07:57 AM) *
Yess! It sounds like a great idea to do the vocal melody of a Beatles song. By vocal melody you mean to follow the melody of the singer rather than playing the same as the guitar I guess?
It would also be interesting to try to identify chords but maybe that's a later step?

Yes! I mean to follow the melody of the singer, but identifying the chords can be cool. You can try both.

I suggest starting with this one.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Mar 6 2022, 08:27 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Excellent! I'm not that familiar with the Beatles but I like the song smile.gif

Do you think Here comes the sun could work instead? I'm a lot more familiar with that one.

I will keep you updated

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Mar 7 2022, 10:41 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 8 2022, 06:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 6 2022, 04:27 PM) *
Excellent! I'm not that familiar with the Beatles but I like the song smile.gif

Do you think Here comes the sun could work instead? I'm a lot more familiar with that one.

I will keep you updated

Yes! Let's go for "Here comes the sun". I love it!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Mar 12 2022, 04:40 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Great!
I have had some pain in the front of my right shoulder so I have taken a break for a few days. I hope to go back to practice as normal in a day or two cause it feels a lot better now.
I haven't done the massages/stretches everyday, maybe that's why I had the pain?

Also I have another question about the improvising/this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Lead-B...-Improvisation/.
I think I heard a couple of years ago when I played electric guitar that it's helpful to do the same call a few times and then add some variations for the same call. So listeners recognize the melody.
Is it something I should keep in mind when improvising?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2022, 09:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 12 2022, 12:40 PM) *
Great!
I have had some pain in the front of my right shoulder so I have taken a break for a few days. I hope to go back to practice as normal in a day or two cause it feels a lot better now.
I haven't done the massages/stretches everyday, maybe that's why I had the pain?

Hi Alex! I'm sorry about this. I can't be sure what the reason was but it is very important to do the massages and stretches at the beginning and end of each of our practice sessions. Try to get used to doing it.

QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 12 2022, 12:40 PM) *
Also I have another question about the improvising/this lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Lead-B...-Improvisation/.
I think I heard a couple of years ago when I played electric guitar that it's helpful to do the same call a few times and then add some variations for the same call. So listeners recognize the melody.
Is it something I should keep in mind when improvising?

It is a way to do it, but it is not the only one. As I recommended with vibrato, the best thing you can do is listen to your favorite guitarists improvise and see how they develop their phrases. Even if you repeat the phrases, the concept of call & response can be used since you would repeat the "call" and just give a different response.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Mar 17 2022, 07:47 AM
Learning Chord Basher
Hi Gab,

How are you doing?
I have been doing the stretches and it feels slightly better so I have been able to practice.

I have some new videos.
Travis Picking
Last time you told me to be more relaxed and improve dynamics.
Here is a new take

Ear Training
I think it's challenging to play the vocal melody.
I can hear now that there is quite many wrong notes, but I just wanted to know if I am on the right track with this one?

Vibrato
We have talked a bit about vibrato. To have some variation depending on the feeling of the song and let the note ring first before applying vibrato.
I think I could and should add more variation. Sometimes slower and sometimes wider.

Improvisation
I have looked at this course as you told me to do. And I used the backing track in that lesson. I also used the call and response concept

Thank you for your feedback smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 18 2022, 03:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 17 2022, 03:47 AM) *
Hi Gab,

How are you doing?
I have been doing the stretches and it feels slightly better so I have been able to practice.

Hi Alex!! Cool! It is important that from now on you never forget this warm-up!

Some feedback!

Travis Picking: Very good. Your hands look more relaxed and I can hear you experimenting with dynamics. I think that now the next thing is to continue practicing in this way so that you can have more control of the dynamics and that you can gradually adjust the tempo that some problems have in this video.

Ear training: Well, I love that we work this song. I play it every morning. smile.gif. Let's go well little by little.... Here comes the sun. The first sentence continues 4 notes. The first (Here) is not right, look for that note. And then you can work on that phrase at 00:08 that is off scale.

Vibrato: Excellent! I assure you that you are going to thank yourself very much for this hard work you are doing on vibrato. This technique is usually omitted by beginners and yet it is one of the most necessary and used. You are on a very good path, your standard vibrato is starting to be more consistent, and the classic vibrato even more so! I see that now if you let the note sound and then gradually add it. It would be interesting if you work on a GMC lesson that has vibrato so you can emulate the instructor... do you have any ideas?

Improvisation: Perfect! This is the work you have to do. Did you do the improvisation test using the video in which I record the call and you have to play the response? I would really like to see you doing that to see what happens. If you do that you will have more ideas on how to improve your phrases in terms of rhythm and melodic content.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Mar 18 2022, 03:38 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Mar 18 2022, 08:24 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hi Gab,
Thank you for the feedback! Yes, I have realized the importance of warm-up now so it's something that will be part of my routine. I have a couple of questions.

When you say improve dynamics, do you mean to make all notes sound about equally loud? For example right now, the higher strings doesn't sound as much.

I love that song as well smile.gif It makes me happy everytime I listen to it. Sounds good to break it down into smaller steps, I will keep on working.

Thank you very much, I thought my vibrato was ok before but I have noticed a drastic improvement in my vibrato. It adds a lot of feeling and soul to the playing. It sounds good to work on a lesson, here is my suggestions:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ibrato-Workout/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Satria...de-Easy-Ballad/
Do you have any other ideas? Or which one do you think suits me best?

I have done the improvisation test multiple times. Here is a video

Take care!

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Mar 21 2022, 10:22 PM

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Mar 26 2022, 03:56 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hi Gab,

Congratulations to your wedding!
I am very happy for you and I hope you had a good time smile.gif

For "Here comes the sun"
I think the notes of the first phrase is
----------
----------
-4-6-8--4-
----------
----------
----------

And here is my first full take on Goo Goo Dolls.
A lot needs to be polished but I wanted to post a take to get some feedback and also to go back in a few months and look at it smile.gif
I notice that dynamics and timing needs to be improved in several places.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 28 2022, 04:27 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex! How are you?

QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 18 2022, 04:24 PM) *
Hi Gab,
Thank you for the feedback! Yes, I have realized the importance of warm-up now so it's something that will be part of my routine. I have a couple of questions.

When you say improve dynamics, do you mean to make all notes sound about equally loud? For example right now, the higher strings doesn't sound as much.

No, I don't mean that all notes should be equally loud. What I notice is that the volume with which you play each note is irregular and not related to the rhythmic figures you are playing. The idea is that you have more control of the dynamics and that you can, in principle, emulate the dynamics that the original guitarists plays with. Pay attention to the volume of the notes, which ones are accentuated and which ones are not, to try to emulate it. Start out simple, perhaps just accentuating the notes that are loud and playing softly at the same volume all the others. You can then go further and handle other intermediate levels of dynamics as the instructor does.

Thank you very much, I thought my vibrato was ok before but I have noticed a drastic improvement in my vibrato. It adds a lot of feeling and soul to the playing. It sounds good to work on a lesson, here is my suggestions:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ibrato-Workout/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Satria...de-Easy-Ballad/
Do you have any other ideas? Or which one do you think suits me best?

I would go for the Satriani Ballad!

I have done the improvisation test multiple times. Here is a video

Take care!

Great! Keep practicing this, but first, try to copy a bit more of the rhythm I use for my phrases. (as you did at 00:54). Before we work on the choice of notes, we need to make sure that you can create good sounding phrases of tempo, and rhythm. Once you can play tight, we're going to put more focus on note choice. Do you think it's OK?

QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 26 2022, 11:56 AM) *
Hi Gab,

Congratulations to your wedding!
I am very happy for you and I hope you had a good time smile.gif

Thanks a lot mate! I've seen that you could follow it on my insta stories. smile.gif

----------
----------
-4-6-8--4-
----------
----------
----------

mm no! do you want me to write the right answer?

And here is my first full take on Goo Goo Dolls.
A lot needs to be polished but I wanted to post a take to get some feedback and also to go back in a few months and look at it smile.gif
I notice that dynamics and timing needs to be improved in several places.

Yes, you are right, there are things to improve, but I love the energy and groove here. It's not easy to achieve, so congrats my friend! Now, it's time to adjust details to keep this energy but make it sound with the perfection of some older takes. Are you in?

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Mar 28 2022, 04:15 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Mar 28 2022, 08:25 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Hi Gab,
I am fine, how are you?
I will actually get married in a month smile.gif So there is a lot of planning going on at the moment.

I agree to everything you said, it sounds perfect.
Thank you for your kind comments.

Regarding the ear training, I have listened to the "Here comes the sun" sentence quite a lot tonight.
I would like to figure it out on my own but some clues might be necessary smile.gif
To me it really sounds like it is 2-4-6--2 on the G string. (A-B-C#--A).

The scale is A major right?

Update 29/3:
I listened more tonight. Today it sounded like it starts at a note then it goes lower then higher than the first note and then back to the first note again. If this is true then my guess above is incorrect.
Maybe 2-1-4--2 on G String ? (A-G#-B--A)?

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Mar 30 2022, 06:54 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 31 2022, 03:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HiimAlex @ Mar 28 2022, 04:25 PM) *
Hi Gab,
I am fine, how are you?
I will actually get married in a month smile.gif So there is a lot of planning going on at the moment.

Wou!! Congratulations my friend!! I can assure you that it will be the happiest moment of your life. Enjoy it!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Apr 2 2022, 07:26 PM
Learning Chord Basher
Thank you very much smile.gif I appreciate it. I look forward to it even if I am nervous.
I am sure it will be great and one of the happiest moments of my life!

Thanks for the help with the ear training. It was easier with just the vocals.
My new answer for the ear training, the first phrase of "Here comes the sun" 6-4-6-2 on G String. (C#-B-C#-A) smile.gif

Is there any plan to start doing video respon again? They were really great

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Apr 2 2022, 10:48 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 6 2022, 06:30 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex!! how are you mate?

Wedding answer: Yeah! It will be. It has been for me! smile.gif Share some pics!

Ear training: YES! That's the right answer. Well done mate! You can continue with the song.

Video responses question: Not for now but I hope to be able to do them again very soon! I also miss making the videos.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Apr 7 2022, 07:23 AM
Learning Chord Basher
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 6 2022, 05:30 PM) *
Hi Alex!! how are you mate?

Wedding answer: Yeah! It will be. It has been for me! smile.gif Share some pics!

Ear training: YES! That's the right answer. Well done mate! You can continue with the song.

Video responses question: Not for now but I hope to be able to do them again very soon! I also miss making the videos.

Hi Mate, I'm great. How are you?

Wonderful, I will share some pics! smile.gif

Great! Thanks! I think we should take one sentence at a time for now until I get familiar with identifying notes from vocals.

No worries, text responses are fine too smile.gif Do you have a lot of work with your band at the moment?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 7 2022, 12:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Alex! Everything is good here.

I think that taking one note at a time is a good idea. I understand that this work is much more difficult than what we have been doing, but trust that studying the songs of the Beatles will take you to another level. Enjoy the process and don't worry if it takes longer. You are learning every day.

Regarding my time, at the moment I am in a lot of changes regarding my personal life, I have to move, and reorganize myself with my jobs. That makes my time at GMC a little more limited at this point, but our work here is not going to stop or slow down anyway. It's just quicker right now if I give you the feedback in text.

Beyond that, I really appreciate you telling me that you miss my video answers and that they really added value to this work together.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Arvedahl
Apr 8 2022, 11:57 AM
Learning Chord Basher
That's good to hear.
Unfortunately I got a cold yesterday, but I wanted to record two takes to get some feedback.

Ear Training Answer: Yes it is more difficult. I enjoy learning stuff by ear and notice that I'm improving. Thanks for the encouragement.
I have a guess for the next phrase in the song, where he sings "do do do do". I think it is 4-2-4-6 on G String (B-A-B-C#) .

Time Answer: Oh, I understand. No worries. Take the time you need, I know it's stressful for me when a lot of changes happens in the personal life. Take care of yourself. Text replies are totally fine biggrin.gif

At the moment I have paused the Travis Picking practicing, it was fun to do it but I want to dedicate more time to improvising and Ear Training right now. I have started with the Satriani Vibrato lesson as well.

Goo Goo Dolls: Last time, I posted my first full take of this lesson and it was a lot of things to improve. I think the first part had most issues so thats where I have focused my time.
Here is a new take, I am surprised the take became this good. When I have practiced I have always messed up the first part smile.gif

Improvising: Last time you said "Focus on rhyhtm and tempo". I wouldn't say I play tight all the time here but it's better.

Thanks in advance for your feedback smile.gif

This post has been edited by HiimAlex: Apr 10 2022, 01:23 PM

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 36 37 38 39 40 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:25 PM