Step Away And Just Play!
Daniel Robinson
Oct 15 2008, 12:27 PM
Instructor
Hello GMC'ers

Following on my topic of songwriting ideas, i would just like to add my two cents on perspective for your playing and writing.

There are things that you as a player can do to become more focused and more unique, some of this you already do...the constant drills, learning lessons from here and learning covers etc.

The problem is sometimes these things can lead you into a rut in your playing. I am not by any means saying you should stop practicing or stop learning all you can. Playing guitar takes all of those things. Having fun with the instrument though is tanamount to the creative process, and sometimes all the practicing gets in the way of this. Your mind goes to a different place when you just play the instrument rather than playing ON it. I have found more times than not that i come up with some of my best ideas if i just let my fingers do what they want and noodle around and just get into what i am doing.

I will use a perfect example of what i am talking about in a student here at GMC. And forgive me Tjchep if i embarass you.

I am sure you have all heard him play his improv's, and if you havent i suggest you take a listen you can find them in the uploads sections.

In alot of ways he is well beyond alot of people his age in his tone control, sound and vibrato, sure he has some timing issues and what not. But the fact of the matter is he has his own way of doing things and likes it like that. It comes across in his playing, his tension building and all around creativity borders on genius from time to time.

What i am really getting at here is that sometimes you have to put down the books and all that and just play! Develop your chops by all means, but don't let your chops be a crutch to the real meat of what it means to be a guitar player. If you can play all the licks from your favorite artist thats great! But.....If i wanted to hear those artists i would go to the source. I want to hear you! The real you, not the artist your hiding behind.

Just pick up your instrument, with no backing track and play something...anything. Just let melodic ideas come to you. Really dig into the magic of the moment and grab something out of thin air. It really is magical when you do this with the proper frame of mind.

Sure, there are things you will do that copy others for now, thats ok. But try as much as possible to think outside of emulation and just focus on what sounds good to you. Some of the riffs and melody idea's you might come up with just might surprise you.

Myself personally sometimes i find backing tracks to be a real hinderance to creative ideas. Sometimes i will write an entire song from just a few melodic ideas i came up with in just a few minutes of just letting myself go on the instrument. Looking to others for inspiration is great! But let it be that...inspiration..and not emulation. The world needs your music, if i want to listen to Steve Vai, or Andy Timmons... i will listen to them. If i want to hear you, i need to listen to you.

Daniel

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Daniel Robinson   Step Away And Just Play!   Oct 15 2008, 12:27 PM
- - audiopaal   QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Oct 15 2008, 01...   Oct 15 2008, 12:40 PM
- - jer   Wow. That was great. Thanks for posting that.   Oct 15 2008, 01:22 PM
- - Toroso   Amen! I always end my practice sessions with a...   Oct 15 2008, 01:29 PM
- - OrganisedConfusion   Jamming is crucial. I spend most my guitaring time...   Oct 15 2008, 01:32 PM
- - TheOldOnes   I don't know if others are the same but I alwa...   Oct 15 2008, 02:16 PM
|- - Daniel Robinson   QUOTE (TheOldOnes @ Oct 15 2008, 09:16 AM...   Oct 15 2008, 03:50 PM
|- - Toroso   QUOTE (TheOldOnes @ Oct 15 2008, 09:16 AM...   Oct 15 2008, 04:08 PM
nnn
- - opeth.db   Very much agree with this Dan. Its amazing how s...   Oct 15 2008, 03:55 PM
- - coffeeman   Awesome thread Daniel , thanks for sharing. I wa...   Oct 15 2008, 03:55 PM
|- - Daniel Robinson   QUOTE (coffeeman @ Oct 15 2008, 10:55 AM)...   Oct 15 2008, 03:59 PM
nnn
- - kjutte   I agree to most, but I think that you can develop ...   Oct 15 2008, 04:05 PM
- - mattacuk   Excellent post Daniel   Oct 15 2008, 04:06 PM
- - jer   Its me too. This is what leads me to "pract...   Oct 15 2008, 04:13 PM
- - coffeeman   QUOTE (jer @ Oct 15 2008, 10:13 AM) Its m...   Oct 15 2008, 04:17 PM
|- - opeth.db   QUOTE (coffeeman @ Oct 15 2008, 11:17 AM)...   Oct 15 2008, 04:29 PM
nnn
- - Bogdan Radovic   All musicians have different influences and there ...   Oct 15 2008, 04:43 PM
- - jer   QUOTE Try it. Pick your guitar and make a melody t...   Oct 15 2008, 04:54 PM
|- - Daniel Robinson   QUOTE (jer @ Oct 15 2008, 11:54 AM) I hea...   Oct 17 2008, 03:14 PM
nnn
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Very nice post Daniel, I agree with your perspecti...   Oct 15 2008, 07:25 PM
- - jer   I smell what you are stepping in Dan.   Oct 17 2008, 06:09 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:46 PM