2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Support The Software Developers
Keilnoth
Oct 22 2009, 10:19 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Nooooooooo, please no debate Microsoft / Apple. We already got a thread closed this week speaking about religion. And the MS/Apple debate will go even worst ! smile.gif

They are different brands, different toys for a different prices and different purposes. It's like comparing an electric guitar with an acoustic guitar.

And we all know that the Palm Pré will beat them all...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 22 2009, 10:38 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Oct 22 2009, 11:19 AM) *
Nooooooooo, please no debate Microsoft / Apple. We already got a thread closed this week speaking about religion. And the MS/Apple debate will go even worst ! smile.gif

They are different brands, different toys for a different prices and different purposes. It's like comparing an electric guitar with an acoustic guitar.

And we all know that the Palm Pré will beat them all...

Hehe well debates are what forums are about, isn't that right? Nothing is more thrilling the following a hot but friendly debate with good arguments.

Speaking of which - I'd like to see more of the later from you! tongue.gif Because to me the "comparing an electric guitar with an acoustic guitar" doesn't cut it in this case - as both companies claim to have the same goals (I still have that commercial about "vista making things easier" ringing in my head).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 22 2009, 11:21 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 22 2009, 10:57 AM) *
Since this discussion has evolved into an apple/microsoft discussion:

If you have seen what an iphone can do (multitrack pocket recording, music sequencing etc) and what you get in terms of quality software/usability vs price with apple's Mac Book Pro series...then I think most people will realise that Good is finally about to triumph over Evil! smile.gif

I definitely agree to that, for us musicians Apple/MAC has always been a better choice in terms of durability, stability and quality, and now when they lowered the price, it's the best choice IF you solely use it for music production. The same goes for the graphics industry, who always used MAC's, but even they have more & more turned over to Windows nowadays. If You use your phone/computer for business purposes, it's a different situation due to compatibility with office environments & programs. Another drawback may be that music software for MAC is even more expensive than to Windows... but Im seriously consider to go for Pro Tools on Mac instead, even that I have to pay more for the software..... I thinl the best solution is to use both - for different purposes. smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 22 2009, 12:32 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 21 2009, 11:22 PM) *
I mainly build systems in C++ and .NET for companies online, and also does a lot of web programming/databases, but one idea I will try to realize in my spare time is to build a guitar trainer software.

//Staffay

That would be interesting stuff for spare time. I am a C++ developer myself, and perhaps I would be interested on helping on that. What about a GMC guitar trainer bundled with the subscription? tongue.gif
I think that would be a nice business model!

This post has been edited by Gus: Oct 22 2009, 12:34 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 22 2009, 01:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gus @ Oct 22 2009, 01:32 PM) *
That would be interesting stuff for spare time. I am a C++ developer myself, and perhaps I would be interested on helping on that. What about a GMC guitar trainer bundled with the subscription? tongue.gif
I think that would be a nice business model!

Oh, well, that sounds interesting. we can have different editions as well. For instance, there can be one "Kris deluxe edition" that only accepts Yngwie backings and one "Muris deluxe edition" that only have metronome tempos from 200 bpm and above..... tongue.gif

Nah, jokes aside, I will try to make a feature list for the project, and there are some software out as well that I have checked, but can be done better. I might as well think that Kris & GMC will be interested in some co-operation if the software is good. I will let You know about my ideas, and we can take it from there, OK ?

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Koopid
Oct 22 2009, 02:10 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 22 2009, 12:21 PM) *
I definitely agree to that, for us musicians Apple/MAC has always been a better choice in terms of durability, stability and quality, and now when they lowered the price, it's the best choice IF you solely use it for music production. The same goes for the graphics industry, who always used MAC's, but even they have more & more turned over to Windows nowadays. If You use your phone/computer for business purposes, it's a different situation due to compatibility with office environments & programs. Another drawback may be that music software for MAC is even more expensive than to Windows... but Im seriously consider to go for Pro Tools on Mac instead, even that I have to pay more for the software..... I thinl the best solution is to use both - for different purposes. smile.gif

//Staffay

It's not that black and white anymore though. Lots of professionals are switching from Mac to PC for both Graphics and Music even though its a slow process. When it comes to the iPhone noone thought Motorolas worldwide domination on the mobile phone market would ever be even considered but we all know what happened there. The iPhone is too good on all areas, not just the music production or the gadgets, to be taken out of the equation.

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Oct 22 2009, 06:29 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 22 2009, 11:38 AM) *
Hehe well debates are what forums are about, isn't that right? Nothing is more thrilling the following a hot but friendly debate with good arguments.

Speaking of which - I'd like to see more of the later from you! tongue.gif Because to me the "comparing an electric guitar with an acoustic guitar" doesn't cut it in this case - as both companies claim to have the same goals (I still have that commercial about "vista making things easier" ringing in my head).

We will find many connections between the two companies as you will find many connection between an electric and an acoustic guitar. Their goal is not to make things easier. Their goal is to make money. tongue.gif

But the fact is I still cannot play video games on a Mac. That, by itself, means that Mac is not a tool for me. smile.gif

And more than that, Mac is not a tool for me because :

- There is no way to customize a Mac. For example, did you already try to change the graphic card of your Mac ? smile.gif
- The first price for a Mac Pro is $2,499.00 and with that amount you won't even have a screen ($899). That's not cheap at all. I can buy 1 PC and an iPhone with that much money. smile.gif
- The only company producing Mac is Apple. It's a closed market. Price will never decrease and Mac users will have to deal with that. That's probably the main reason why the market is so small.

I am a developer and I've always been able to deal with the small problems I encountered on my PC during the last 14 years. I didn't install Vista and that by itself avoided me many problems. smile.gif The last time I've reinstalled my PC was about 2 years ago and it still works like a charm because I know how to take care of it. smile.gif

But, half the computers in my company are Mac because they are easier to use and they provide great tools with a good ergonomic. I understand why people are using Mac as I understand why I am not. smile.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 22 2009, 11:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Koopid @ Oct 22 2009, 03:10 PM) *
It's not that black and white anymore though. Lots of professionals are switching from Mac to PC for both Graphics and Music even though its a slow process. When it comes to the iPhone noone thought Motorolas worldwide domination on the mobile phone market would ever be even considered but we all know what happened there. The iPhone is too good on all areas, not just the music production or the gadgets, to be taken out of the equation.

I very well know that the graphics business have almost switched to PC's nowadays, since I work from time to tome with graphics. But what I was pointing out, was that this debate of whether Apple should finally have some success in taking over some market shares from Microsoft, have I heard for the past 20 years or so, and it still hasn't happen... even that I think it would be a good thing for us customers. The problem herein lies in what Keilnoth also states in his post: Apple are branding themselves out of the market since they are not letting third-party developers co-operate.

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Koopid
Oct 23 2009, 06:17 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 23 2009, 12:39 AM) *
I very well know that the graphics business have almost switched to PC's nowadays, since I work from time to tome with graphics. But what I was pointing out, was that this debate of whether Apple should finally have some success in taking over some market shares from Microsoft, have I heard for the past 20 years or so, and it still hasn't happen... even that I think it would be a good thing for us customers. The problem herein lies in what Keilnoth also states in his post: Apple are branding themselves out of the market since they are not letting third-party developers co-operate.

//Staffay

When it comes to the actual computer market, I totally agree with you, the cellphone market I think they will be able to be a real competitor.

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 24 2009, 01:41 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 22 2009, 02:58 PM) *
Oh, well, that sounds interesting. we can have different editions as well. For instance, there can be one "Kris deluxe edition" that only accepts Yngwie backings and one "Muris deluxe edition" that only have metronome tempos from 200 bpm and above..... tongue.gif

Nah, jokes aside, I will try to make a feature list for the project, and there are some software out as well that I have checked, but can be done better. I might as well think that Kris & GMC will be interested in some co-operation if the software is good. I will let You know about my ideas, and we can take it from there, OK ?

//Staffay

Nice.

That's a deal!

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:36 PM