> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Basic Rock Guitar: Bending & Vibrato, Lesson By Guido Bungenstock
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
8 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

yoncopin
Mar 24 2018, 04:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Basic Rock Guitar: Bending & Vibrato by Guido Bungenstock

This was a great lesson, I have played it countless times over the past few months every day for a big chunk of my practice. The speed lick at the end was way beyond my ability, but pushing to get it has really taught me a lot about how to approach developing speed in general, so that was incredibly valuable practice. I think I have taken this one as far as I can right now, I need some fresh material for inspiration. I probably can play every phrase of this a bit better, maybe not when that recording light is on, but isn't that always the case :) Thanks Guido for the lesson and to all the instructors who take a listen, I really appreciate it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 24 2018, 08:30 PM
GMC:er
Well played! You've got good control over your vibrato, good control over your muting, and good control over your picking. The bending is good as well. in a bit like this, if you miss one bend, it sticks out quite badly. It's very easy to miss a bend by just a pinch and have it ruin an otherwise fine solo. I can see you put in some time on this one to be sure!!! All of your practice and work is on display here. Each bit of technique you've worked on in Bootcamp and else where is coming in to play. I'm sure you can tell where your practice is paying off, or at least I hope so!!

There is one small niggle I have with the run at the very end. In the original video, he is using a technique where he starts the run slow and then speeds up in the middle of the run to increase the perception of it being played fast by contrasting the slow and fast. Your playing is more linear than his and loses just a pinch of the dynamics of such a lick. Being able change tempo mid stream is not an easy thing. It's work working though. Watch his body language as he plays that lick. It's a mirror image of his intensity and speed through the lick. Like he is starting at the top of a hill rolling slowly down and picking up speed right before the end. I hope this makes sense?

Still I think your version works well and you clearly have this bit down and are ready to move on IMHO, solid 7!!

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Mar 24 2018, 11:28 AM) *
Original lesson: Basic Rock Guitar: Bending & Vibrato by Guido Bungenstock

This was a great lesson, I have played it countless times over the past few months every day for a big chunk of my practice. The speed lick at the end was way beyond my ability, but pushing to get it has really taught me a lot about how to approach developing speed in general, so that was incredibly valuable practice. I think I have taken this one as far as I can right now, I need some fresh material for inspiration. I probably can play every phrase of this a bit better, maybe not when that recording light is on, but isn't that always the case smile.gif Thanks Guido for the lesson and to all the instructors who take a listen, I really appreciate it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2018, 02:17 AM
Instructor
Hi yoncopin!

Your take is really good. I've listened it for the first time and honestly I've found it flawless. Your bending and vibrato is consistent and your timing very precise. Also, your tone first well with the backing track.

Then, I've played the original lesson and noticed some differences regarding dynamics and articulations. I feel that Guido's has more dynamics and a stronger feel thanks to the use of different strenghs but also to an interesting use of articulation. I would dedicate some time to notice these differences and work on them since I think that it will have a good impact in your playing.

Other than that, you rocked this one. Cheers!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 28 2018, 07:04 AM
GMC Founder
I will join to the quire - you are doing a really good job here.

About dynamics: You could probably quite easily come closer to Guido's feel by hitting the strings harder with a bigger movement, when needed. This often requires rakes - which is a really beautiful technique.

Timing: this is trickier, because we are speaking about quite subtle nuances here - your over all timing is already very good. However for us to really get goosebumps from your playing, you would need to pay even more attention to this. You can try to micro analyse Guido's timing - but a faster way is usually to try to play with more groove. Move your head and body - if that makes sense!

Well done, you get an 8 from me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 29 2018, 03:03 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Though exactly the same as Kris right before reading his feedback...smile.gif The timing thing. From one point of view you tned to swing a lot over beats and the timing is not great when we listen unisons with piano but...this is not a kind of playign where the timing makes the job. Little swing is somentihng that gives it life so it won't affect my grade.

This takes sound beautifull. There are no serious isues to complain but let's be honest that from the other side your dynamics response is not comparabl;e to Guido's..YET! I believe that going this path you'll sooner or later get to that point.

Thourgh all the take only little timing issues a pitch (too low) took my attention but...most of all it was the feel that your are at the edge of unwanted noises cutting though the mix. Try to find a solid resting point for your right palm. Having constant rest on low string helps to avoid that. I'm guessing you don't by what I see and what I hear but...I'm not able to make sure remotely.

Any great piece of playing!

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Mar 31 2018, 04:50 PM
Instructor
@yoncopin
Many Thx for covering my lesson! You're on the right way.

Also a big thx to my colleagues here:
It's always very interesting to me how other musicians analyze my style/playing. But to be honest: I never think about all this, I just play... biggrin.gif

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 12 2018, 10:20 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7.75

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:01 PM