Joel Hoekstra, This guy is no slouch
PosterBoy
Jun 21 2016, 10:21 AM
Learning Roadie

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 21 2016, 11:59 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 21 2016, 11:21 AM) *

Very cool staccato:ish stage show off! Interesting strobe lights as well wacko.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jun 21 2016, 12:49 PM
GMC:er
Anyone know how he's getting that staccato sound?

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 21 2016, 12:57 PM
Learning Roadie
I think its just an 8th note or dotted 8th delay set with 1 repeat and some decent palm muting.

Think of Nuno's Flight of the wounded bumblebee, it's a similar thing

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jun 21 2016, 12:59 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 21 2016, 01:24 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (AdamB @ Jun 21 2016, 01:49 PM) *

The key is a distorted sound with lots of attack. If you just slap on a standard hi-gain distortion stomp box you usually even out all the dynamics, and you won't be able to get this effect. You need an initial volume peak, in the attack part of the sound.

I get this by using the Kemper's built-in control for "pick" volume. But many amps have this as a marketing feature, hopefully some people with experience form this can chime in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdamB
Jun 22 2016, 08:34 AM
OK I'll see whether I can figure it out, I see malmsteen doing this kind of thing sometimes and it sounds really cool.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 22 2016, 08:55 AM
GMC Founder
Another way to do this would be a compressor after the preamp.

It needs to be a fairly configurable one - so that you can set the attack time to ~20-50 ms . Basically what will happen is that the compressor will "pull down" the volume after the attack time, so the beginning of each note will be perceived as louder.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jun 22 2016, 09:22 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (AdamB @ Jun 21 2016, 03:49 AM) *

If you are talking about the section between the 45 sec mark up until about 1:01. I would have to say that Posterboy has the answer with a delay effect. Van Halen has used it too, in Cathedral although in a slightly different way using volume swells.

Also check this video at the 2:06 mark

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 23 2016, 09:15 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jun 22 2016, 10:22 AM) *
If you are talking about the section between the 45 sec mark up until about 1:01. I would have to say that Posterboy has the answer with a delay effect. Van Halen has used it too, in Cathedral although in a slightly different way using volume swells.

Also check this video at the 2:06 mark

For sure it uses the same kind of delay as Nuno's flight of the bumble bee.

But is also uses a sound that allows you play legato with palm muting - and make it sound extremely staccato - just like Nuno, Rick Graham etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 25 2016, 10:43 AM
Learning Roadie
Just found another great solo by Joel on the latest Michael Sweet album. Michael Sweet still has killer pipes at 53 and gets bonus points for mocking the state of modern country music.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 25 2016, 06:08 PM
He's got quite a few Lesson vids available on YT too!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2016, 11:23 PM
NICE!! He reminds me a bit of JOHN SYKES who was also an amazing player. There is another player that
reminds me a bunch of this guy, DOUG ALDRICH who has gotta be one of the most under rate players ever wink.gif
The guy is just a badass. His playing is so natural and fluid.

For some reason I HATED stryper in my youth. These days I really appreciate them and their contribution.
And yeah, he still has the pipes at 53!!! It's impressive. Clean living eh? Rob Halford's voice
on the other hand, as well as Dave Mustaine's has suffered steady decline due to previous driinking
and drug abuse. Stryper are the poster boys for clean living and they are one of the few acts from the 80s
that don't look like they are 100 years old. The poor bass player from Pantera looks like he's 150 sad.gif
Attached Image

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 25 2016, 05:43 AM) *
Just found another great solo by Joel on the latest Michael Sweet album. Michael Sweet still has killer pipes at 53 and gets bonus points for mocking the state of modern country music.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:59 AM