Samurai Approach To Shred/training
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2012, 07:58 PM
GMC:er
This is really more in the world of Sensei Ben but after watching this KILLER documentary about legendary Samurai Musashi, I was struck by how similar many of this teaching are to what my instructors taught me, and what I try to teach my students. The main thought that stuck with me is a proverb from his Masterwork, THE BOOK OF THE FIVE RINGS.

"THE WAY IS IN TRAINING"

Here is the documentary. Long but worth a watch for any budding Samurai, or Shredder. smile.gif

He took an almost "Bruce Lee" approach, using practical lessons learned as went along instead of relying on tradition alone. A path of learning that I have seen bear fruit with students for years. The Art of the Sword, the "Riddle of Steal" as it were, seems so similar in many ways to the "Riddle of Self" and Art of the Guitar/Axe. The guitar is an extension of who you are. You can hear in it whether a person has dedication, purpose, experience, anger, etc. Just as Samurai spoke with the blade and it told everyone around who they were.

Here is a link to the chapter on The Way.

-------
http://kenpokarate.com/the_way_is_in_training.html

Miyamoto Musashi
The Way is in Training

There are many ways for the beginner to train, as he must first developer strength, coordination and stamina before he can understand what he is learning. One who is too weak to throw or block a punch, can hardly understand the movements, and that prevents him from understanding that a block is also a strike. Even a strong student will find that his body is moving in ways for which he was not trained, and find himself physically weak in those areas. Then too, he may have the strength, but lack the coordination to exercise the move with ease. And even if he has the strength and coordination, he may lack the stamina for the practice required for Kenpo Karate.
As daunting as this may be, still, the beginning student who is without strength, coordination or stamina, will take one step at a time; one move at a time; one technique at a time, and even with his first day of training, when taught by a Kenpo Karate master, he will be on a path to the Way.
Like Musashi's Five Rings, there are five essentials in Kenpo training: Technique, Principles, Perception, Intention and Movement.
The first move the student learns is the last move the student learns, as the student will gain understanding as he encounters the five essentials, which like the Five Rings, are circles of progression. Thus, the student will begin on a path to the Way if the first move does not diverge from the Way. But the student will not know if his move diverges, because he will not even understand the Way of Kenpo.
The first move in Kenpo is the beginning of a technique, just as the first move in Tai Chi Chuan is the beginning of a posture. The first move is repeated a thousand times, in a hundered different ways, in techniques that defend or attack, or which attack as they defend. It is the hundreds of techniques that are done dozens of ways that leads the student to understand the principles behind the techniques. But principles are empty when the student does not know all the techniques he can employ. Thus, one who understands principles will none the less be defeated if he does not know and practice the myriad of techniques required to know the opponent.
The Way requires training by a master of Kenpo, because one who has deviated from the way, or has reduced the training to meaningless theories, cannot possibly lead the student to the Way. A student may learn techniques and principles, but never perceive the Way because of limited training; and one can only be trained in Kenpo, true Kenpo, by one who knows the entire system. The true Kenpo master cannot teach a student. He can only show the student the Way and it is the student who must learn the Way for himself. But he cannot learn the Way unless he is taught the Way. This paradox, like the Zen koans cannot be understood unless one first understands.
In this cycle of training, practicing, learning, understanding and perceiving Kenpo, one begins to understand Intention, and through the cycle again, when knowledge gives way to perception, the student finds that learning many things does not teach understanding. Yet it is only through learning many things that one can come to understand Intention, and perceive that which cannot be seen, and know the opponents Intention before it is transmitted to movement.
Thus, after rigorous training one learns that stamina reaches a breaking point, while endurance pushes beyond to understanding. Thus in the recycling of the Five Rings and Nine Principles, the student will continually gain insight into the five essentials of Kenpo training. And the student who has been taught hundreds of techniques, with hundreds of variations will slowly come to understand the technique principles, and perceive what the opponent can do before he can do it. But this sense of perception can only be obtained by knowing the depths of Kenpo and having a knowledge of all arts.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 27 2012, 07:58 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Todd Simpson   Samurai Approach To Shred/training   Jul 27 2012, 07:58 PM
- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 27 2012, 07:58 ...   Jul 27 2012, 08:27 PM
- - Gabriel Leopardi   Wou! This sounds very interesting to me... tha...   Jul 27 2012, 09:55 PM
- - Azzaboi   Interesting approach, which actually is quite the ...   Jul 28 2012, 12:26 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   Yup! Guitar Bushido Lives! QUOTE (Azzaboi...   Aug 8 2012, 04:36 PM
nnn
- - Nihilist1   Thanks, Todd! This definitely helped me unders...   Jul 28 2012, 02:10 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   I've recently watched this documentary and I a...   Jul 28 2012, 08:28 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   Great to hear Todd. Yesterday I had my first acqua...   Aug 9 2012, 09:17 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   Sounds very cool! Post some pics! Thanks ...   Aug 11 2012, 04:02 AM
nnn
- - Ben Higgins   I think another cool thing with starting a new act...   Aug 9 2012, 09:48 AM
|- - Cosmin Lupu   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 9 2012, 08:48 AM...   Aug 9 2012, 09:59 AM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 9 2012, 09:59 AM...   Aug 9 2012, 10:07 AM
nnn
nnn
- - Cosmin Lupu   Exactly Plus all the excitement involved!   Aug 9 2012, 10:11 AM
- - Dieterle   This might help a bit too ! GOJU RYU !   Aug 9 2012, 11:30 AM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Dieterle @ Aug 9 2012, 11:30 AM) T...   Aug 9 2012, 03:05 PM
nnn
- - Cosmin Lupu   I have another recommendation in what regards samu...   Aug 12 2012, 02:47 PM
- - MonkeyDAthos   i guess that explains this wallpapper   Aug 26 2012, 02:27 AM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 26 2012, 02:27 ...   Aug 26 2012, 10:02 AM
|- - Cosmin Lupu   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 26 2012, 09:02 A...   Aug 26 2012, 11:29 AM
|- - MonkeyDAthos   QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 26 2012, 11:29 A...   Aug 26 2012, 01:51 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - flamen   lol @ paul gilbert excellent hahaha   Aug 26 2012, 05:30 AM
- - Todd Simpson   Samurai Unplugged!   Aug 28 2012, 04:27 AM
- - Cosmin Lupu   It features that nice ABBA cover - 'Dancing Qu...   Aug 28 2012, 10:21 AM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 28 2012, 10:21 A...   Aug 29 2012, 08:17 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 29 2012, 03:17 A...   Aug 30 2012, 10:59 PM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 30 2012, 10:59 ...   Aug 31 2012, 08:51 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Cosmin Lupu   In fact, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman and Mattias ...   Aug 31 2012, 07:28 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 31 2012, 02:28 A...   Sep 1 2012, 12:52 PM
nnn
- - korblitz   There no more youtube video about that japanese sh...   Sep 1 2012, 01:31 PM
|- - MonkeyDAthos   QUOTE (korblitz @ Sep 1 2012, 01:31 PM) T...   Sep 1 2012, 01:46 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 1 2012, 08:46 A...   Sep 3 2012, 10:19 AM
nnn
nnn
- - Cosmin Lupu   Paul Gilbert's wife plays the keyboards like a...   Sep 2 2012, 07:20 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:07 PM