Overuse Of Pinky
shellshock1911
Jul 29 2007, 04:29 AM
GMC:er
Hi, I understand that TONS of people have problems using their pinky when playing. But I have an unorthdox problem, I use my pinky too much. Like I see instructors on here using their first three fingers and only using pinky when it requires stretching. I don't have problems using the middle and ring finger as well, it's just in licks like this, where there is only 2 or 3 frets seperated, I ALWAYS use the pinky because it feels more natural for my finger to come vertically to touch the fret instead of from the side, like this...

This is the lick (Master of Puppets solo)

E--------------------17p15p14--------------------------------------------------------|
B-------17p15p14--------------17p15p14-------------------------------------------|
G---------------------------------------------16-14----------------------------------|
D--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

In this type of lick, it feels more natural for my hand to fret the frets like this

................____
...............| | |
E--------------------17p15p14--------------------------------------------------------|
B-------17p15p14--------------17p15p14-------------------------------------------|
G---------------------------------------------16-14----------------------------------|
D--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Instead of like this
.................___
................/ | \

So I was just wondering, should I work on improving my other fingers so I use pinky less often, or continue playing what feels natural?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Jul 29 2007, 04:31 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:01 PM