Quick and dirty Jam
fretdancer
Oct 23 2006, 08:04 PM
GMC:er
I decided to try recording a little Jamming to the backing track I posted yesterday.

I just clipped out a couple of minutes from the middle, Hope you enjoy.

This was created with my Variax on '59 strat Bridge pickup setting through a Pod XTL with a dowloaded Floyd patch into Adobe Audition - No editing other than simply slicing a couple of minutes out and mixing down to an MP3. Took no more than 5 minutes including the playing to create.

No Tab - just Improvising with Floydian type licks adapted from a different key on the fly, kind of made up as I went along.

Attached File  jam1.mp3 ( 1.78MB ) Number of downloads: 495

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tank
Oct 23 2006, 08:33 PM
GMC Veteran
You've noodled in some really decent licks there. You can certainly hear David Gilmour influence in your playing, you're getting his ability to hit the home note for the chord change, which I think is a really nice feature of his style, and really makes Crazy Diamond.

One question I'd ask is more about the sound that you're using on your variax. Are you using a chorus on the pod? The speed of it is making your guitar sound slightly out of tune I think. A slower delay, with a nice "just breaking up" sound would really nail that Floyd guitar, without interfering so much with your feel.

Nice one smile.gif

/T

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Red Tie
Oct 23 2006, 08:34 PM
First of all, you'll need to work on your phrasing, the vibrato and bends.
If you nail those parts slighty better you'll have a really nice solo and you'll be able to bend those really high notes and make the solo sound more like a ballad, you know. Make the notes scream!
Another thing, Try to use more hammerons and pullofs instead of only picking each note seperately, that'll make your solo sound much more fluid and that's very much needed for this type of music.

As for good criticism; i think you did a great job on choosing your notes, in a way it didn't became boring, you varied it alot.

Try to work on what i mentioned, and it'll be real good in due time. wink.gif

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Oct 23 2006, 08:57 PM
QUOTE (Tank @ Oct 23 2006, 08:33 PM) *
You've noodled in some really decent licks there. You can certainly hear David Gilmour influence in your playing, you're getting his ability to hit the home note for the chord change, which I think is a really nice feature of his style, and really makes Crazy Diamond.

One question I'd ask is more about the sound that you're using on your variax. Are you using a chorus on the pod? The speed of it is making your guitar sound slightly out of tune I think. A slower delay, with a nice "just breaking up" sound would really nail that Floyd guitar, without interfering so much with your feel.

Nice one smile.gif

/T

Thanks for the overly kind comments, Whilst I am in Awe of Gilmour and do try to emulate that style somewhat I am not sure I nailed it there...lol the Backing track is a bit slower than I would like and I was really conscious of playing the licks slowly, Ideally a few clicks faster would sound better I think.

as for the sound, I did not take much notice of how the sound was made up on the POD to be honest - I am pretty lazy about fiddling with the settings, I just download patches from Custom Tone which has thousands !!! all tweaked slightly differently and it drives me crazy trying to get just the right sound - I should perhaps try to play with the settings more myself but then I find I am simply twiddling buttons rather than playing. There is a chorus built into that patch, its based on a treadplate dual amp thro a 4 x 12 tweed cab , some fuzz pedal, chorus, med hall reverb, Wah - etc etc etc but I dont think its the setup as much as the artist that was at fault !!! I was trying to convert some licks I know into Em on the fly and the "out of tune" sounding bits were me getting half a tone flat, cringing and quickly bending up to tone - ish !!! at least I think thats what it was - when I played it back I did cringe a couple of times with out of tone sounds.

Thanks again for the very helpful and constructive critique.

QUOTE (Red Tie @ Oct 23 2006, 08:34 PM) *
First of all, you'll need to work on your phrasing, the vibrato and bends.
If you nail those parts slighty better you'll have a really nice solo and you'll be able to bend those really high notes and make the solo sound more like a ballad, you know. Make the notes scream!
Another thing, Try to use more hammerons and pullofs instead of only picking each note seperately, that'll make your solo sound much more fluid and that's very much needed for this type of music.

As for good criticism; i think you did a great job on choosing your notes, in a way it didn't became boring, you varied it alot.

Try to work on what i mentioned, and it'll be real good in due time. wink.gif

Thanks for listening.

I agree with the phrasing comment - thats what makes Gilmour THE top man, I would love to come close to his ability to phrase a lick. I thought I had the bending pretty much down pat - I was personaly happy with the bends being on target there. As for hammer on/pulloffs - that was pretty much the most part of the noodling I was doing - virtually every note plucked was hammered pulled or bent !! lol.
I also agree with fluidity - I could be smoother but I did just do a single take - with no editing or adding effects or covering any of it up.

I appreciate the comments though. Thanks a lot of listening and offering your critique, it all helps.

This post has been edited by fretdancer: Oct 23 2006, 08:58 PM

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Red Tie
Oct 23 2006, 09:14 PM
While we're at it, one of the good things was your way of emulating Gilmour.
If you improved what i mentioned it would really sound like the god himself, maybe something to strive after? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 24 2006, 08:43 AM
GMC Founder
Very good constructive feedback - nothing speeds up learning as much a good constructive feedback.

People who are afraid of uploading their recordings...

Do you want to be good? Here is your chance to get to know about the weakest part of your playing. UPLOAD SOMEHTING NOW!!!

No one is goint to make fun of you, just tell you what you need to work on to boost your ability. smile.gif

--Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Oct 24 2006, 01:17 PM
THANKS FOR POSTING! Nice job. That is a slow track and I can see how that could drag a guy down a bit:D
I use a free program called "The Amazing Slow Downer" to slow down things when I'm trying to learn them, but -it also can be used to speed up a track---without changing the pitch. It can also alter the pitch, so, say the song is in drop tuning, and you dont want to retune...you can open the song with the amazing slow downer and adjust the pitch.
I agree with Kris and encourage users to post feedback! We need posts of all levels!
Thanks again!
KEEP POSTING!
-Pick cool.gif

+Quote Post
Red Tie
Oct 24 2006, 01:52 PM
I would love uploading something. Unfortunately i don't know how to record it. mad.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Liam
Oct 25 2006, 02:13 PM
I like it blink.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
Dec 4 2006, 06:09 AM
Ha you slipped the whole Comfortably Numb solo in there, nice job smile.gif

--------------------
Just remember, the last name is pronounced she-we

IPB Image My baby :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:54 AM