Stretching And Timing, Need Help on Stretching and Timing
Ken Slocum
Feb 27 2016, 08:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Since my journey started a few years ago in learning to play the guitar, I have picked up a few bad habits along the way. I need a lot of help in many areas. but I would like to tackle my weaknesses in Timing and Stretching.

How do you handle these two areas/subjects? Can you recommend any exercises or lessons that may help me? I have a difficult time stretching my index finger and pinky/little finger down/up the frets. And I really need to improve on my timing with the beat. I would love any help.

You guys are the best! Thanks GMC.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ken (a.k.a. starman4) sends...............................keep making music.

Ken Slocum
Fender Strat
Variax JTV-59
Line 6 AMPLIFITT
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 27 2016, 11:29 PM
GMC Founder
For timing I would definitely recommend this course which is extremely thorough and comprehensive:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...eginner-Rhythm/

It will explain what you need to think about and then show you the exercises to fix your timing issues.

---

For stretching - I assume there is a lesson/riff/chord that is giving you problems? My general advice would be:

* slow down whatever you are playing with 50%, as this will allow you to think of the following:

* relax you arm and whole upper body

* experiment with your left hand thumb position, this plays an important role in stretching. The thumb can either be on top of the fretboard (blues guitar style) or on the back of it (classical guitar style).

Any photos / videos you can show us will help us give you more specific advice.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ken Slocum
Feb 28 2016, 12:37 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 27 2016, 02:29 PM) *
For timing I would definitely recommend this course which is extremely thorough and comprehensive:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser...eginner-Rhythm/

It will explain what you need to think about and then show you the exercises to fix your timing issues.

---

For stretching - I assume there is a lesson/riff/chord that is giving you problems? My general advice would be:

* slow down whatever you are playing with 50%, as this will allow you to think of the following:

* relax you arm and whole upper body

* experiment with your left hand thumb position, this plays an important role in stretching. The thumb can either be on top of the fretboard (blues guitar style) or on the back of it (classical guitar style).

Any photos / videos you can show us will help us give you more specific advice.

Thanks.....you were right on with the thumb position. I notice if I move my thumb behind the neck, I can stretch further. Still is uncomfortable, but I will work on it. Thanks for the recommendation and advice.

--------------------
Ken (a.k.a. starman4) sends...............................keep making music.

Ken Slocum
Fender Strat
Variax JTV-59
Line 6 AMPLIFITT

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 21 2016, 07:51 PM
Learning Roadie
I've got short fingers and have an issue with stretching too. It's hard to do a two tone fingering and still be relaxed to play quickly. John Petrucci has some exercises in Rock Discipline that might help. Also make sure you are warmed up before you try stretching too much.

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Mar 21 2016, 07:51 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 22 2016, 04:50 AM
GMC:er
Pinky work and stretching are important. I always do stretches before practice and it has helped my pinky and reach quite a bit! Here is a video where I show the stretches I do each time. Add these in to your routine!!

You don't have to bend this far, just try to stretch in a gentle fashion and you will get more flexible each time.

QUOTE (Ken Slocum @ Feb 27 2016, 02:09 PM) *
Since my journey started a few years ago in learning to play the guitar, I have picked up a few bad habits along the way. I need a lot of help in many areas. but I would like to tackle my weaknesses in Timing and Stretching.

How do you handle these two areas/subjects? Can you recommend any exercises or lessons that may help me? I have a difficult time stretching my index finger and pinky/little finger down/up the frets. And I really need to improve on my timing with the beat. I would love any help.

You guys are the best! Thanks GMC.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:15 PM