Bad Intonation
besip
Jan 7 2009, 07:12 PM
GMC:er
Hi all
litle question here
I'm was try to work last night on my Guitar Intonation and i'm find out this->

when i'm made good Intonation for example on Low Open E and E on 12 fret
.....then the other note when i'm freting for example 3 fret G or 5 fret A are a litle #sharp

actualy the mark on the picture showing the worst situaction..on same cases the # note isn't so bad and the guideline missing the center just a litle bit but still the other note isn't on same guideline like on open E or 12 Fret E

Attached Image

it's is normal???
can i'm avoid that???

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by besip: Jan 7 2009, 07:14 PM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 7 2009, 07:22 PM
Instructor
The intonation should be checked when you adjusted the truss rod. Did you checked your neck position? That could be one problem for bad intonation.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 7 2009, 07:22 PM
Instructor
If it is sharp, you just need to increase the string length by tightening the screws a bit Besip mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 7 2009, 07:32 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 7 2009, 02:22 PM) *
If it is sharp, you just need to increase the string length by tightening the screws a bit Besip mate.

no no actualy the Intonations on Low E looks ok becouse the open E and Freting 12 Fret are pretty similar
but when i'm freting diferent note then the note is a litle sharp

looks like Ramiro can be right smile.gif

QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Jan 7 2009, 02:22 PM) *
The intonation should be checked when you adjusted the truss rod. Did you checked your neck position? That could be one problem for bad intonation.

i'm was breake the Hi-E few minutes ago..so i'm be need restring my axe
probaly i'm be go to clean all guitar and change all string

I'm check the neck position looks ok but actualy i'm can be wrong..any guy has diferent idea what kind of position is right smile.gif
probbaly my axe isn't build from supr materials biggrin.gif i'm all ready discuss that with Ivan before...becouse usualy when i'm changing all string i'm have then big buzzing and neck change position

This post has been edited by besip: Jan 7 2009, 07:34 PM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 7 2009, 08:42 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I had a cheap "beach"-acoustic once that was like that. When I tuned it so that open chords sounded fine already at third fret it was out of tune. Same if I tuned it so that an barré A at fith fret sounded good the open chords were off.
The main reason for this was that the nut wasn't cut deep enough - the distance between the string by the nut and the fretboard was ridiciously large.

Another reason could be the the trussrod needs adjustment.

On a cheapo Squier I have I find it impossible to intonate. The neck looks good but both the E strinsg saddles are in their respective outer positions and yet more is needed for it to intonate correctly... very wierd. The neck doesn't look twister either and I've run out of ideas on my guitar... so it can be tricky sometimes.

True temperament is supposed to give better intonation compared to normal necks. So I suppose a normal one will never intonate perfectly

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 7 2009, 08:51 PM
Instructor
For the things you're saying it seems to be the neck that is not helping you to achive the intonation.
If you're not used to adjust the truss rod take it to a luthier or if you want to learn and be very carefull you could get the book by Dan Erlewine - Guitar Player Repair Guide and do it yourself.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 8 2009, 02:16 AM
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Jan 7 2009, 03:51 PM) *
For the things you're saying it seems to be the neck that is not helping you to achive the intonation.
If you're not used to adjust the truss rod take it to a luthier or if you want to learn and be very carefull you could get the book by Dan Erlewine - Guitar Player Repair Guide and do it yourself.

biggrin.gif

i'm was allready work on the truss rod few times becouse i'm have to...usualy when i'm restring all string my neck go out from the position where was before......i'm not sure maybe there can be problem with the strut inside the neck
actualy lot of people recomedet me before to go to technician guy and had some guitar adjustment
but it's not good Id for me go to the technician every time when i'm restring guitar smile.gif becouse my guitar is 190$ axe and they usualy charging 30-50$ so i'm trying help my self rolleyes.gif

The MickeM explanation about the Nut problem is also interesing

hope when i'm buy nex axe i'm be save from this problem for few month -year-years biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by besip: Jan 8 2009, 02:17 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 8 2009, 09:05 AM
Instructor
I am thinking 3 things - trustroad adjustment , intonation tuning (if you have floyd rose system) or new strings.

I hope one of these will solve the issue smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Col Roberts
Jan 8 2009, 09:51 AM
Learning Roadie
You might want to read this interesting article On Equal Temperament Guitar Tuning here.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 8 2009, 03:21 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I believe it's one of the reasons mentioned earlier in the post, but just in case be careful not to bend the note when checking the tuning. Even a very small downwards or upwards little unnoticed bend when fretting the string at 5th,7th fret to check the intonation could add to that intonation error your tuner perceives.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Jan 8 2009, 03:31 PM
I think what he's saying is that the intonation is correct at the 12th fret, but when he plays other notes, it's off. So, the open string and the 12th fret are the same note, but the 5th or 7th fret might sound out of tune. Is that what you mean? If that's what's wrong, then unfortunately, I don't think that's something you can fix through adjustments. Sounds like a bad neck to me, but I could be wrong.

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 9 2009, 12:43 AM
Ok thanks all for advice...i'm Broke the Hi-E last night so i'm gonna put all new set of string on the guitar and try few things and will see cool.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 25 2009, 04:32 PM
i'm probbaly find the problem

becouse i'm was buy new axe jackson Sl2 as u know i'm was aslo try the intonation on my new baby but i'm was have same problem
when i'm have everything ok on open low E and the on 12 fret then i'm have problem when i'm was freting usualy fret 3-5 ..this note was go a litle # always...i'm was really angry becouse i'm buy new axe nad have same Intonation problem like on my Esp viper 50 smile.gif

but few minutes ago i'm find something interesing biggrin.gif looks like when i'm trying the intonation by Tuner i'm usualy pressing this note specialy on neck left side too hard so thats why they go probally a litle # always...i'm shoot slow down biggrin.gif

but anyway every Tuner is probally diferent becouse the sales man made me guitar setup and set this note intonation right..i'm was see the tunner when he do that{on open string and 12 freet} but my tunner showing me all notes like litle Flat

This post has been edited by besip: Jan 25 2009, 04:33 PM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 25 2009, 05:22 PM
Instructor
Probably your intonation is correct then Besip. You can try on several tuners just to make sure.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 25 2009, 05:31 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 25 2009, 12:22 PM) *
Probably your intonation is correct then Besip. You can try on several tuners just to make sure.

yes looks like i'm just presing those string too mutch rolleyes.gif
my friend also tell me to try tune my guitar by natural harmonic i'm never do that technique but will see
but for sure the hardly pressing note on fret making the note more#

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:35 AM