I've Hit My First Wall, Trying to get back into practice mode after an injury
RobM
Dec 30 2007, 07:22 AM
GMC:er
Anyone who has read anything about me knows that after a life long ambition to play the guitar I started learning how to play this past June. I started weekly lessons and after a few weeks found GMC and started in on some of the easier lessons here as well. I was very determined to become a good if not great guitarist, I would practice 2 - 4 hours a day, every day of the week and enjoy it.

Then about 2 months ago I gurt my neck and had to stop playing and did not play for like 6 weeks. During that time I wanted to play pretty badly but I've noticed that since I've been able to play again I really have not been into it. I've picked up the guitar a few times and tried to practice but I just didn't have that same feeling as I did before. I've forgotten some of the chords I knew , some of the practicing patterns I did before I've forgotten and those that I do remember I'm terrible at. Not to mention all of the callouses have worn off(not that big of a deal).

I dunno why I feel this way because I still want to become a good guitar player, but I don't get the feeling I did before when I picked up the guitar and started to play? Maybe if I just get back to it and give it some time (a few couple of hour a day practices, it will come back to me? Or I'm thinking, once I get back with my teacher it will be good again because he's pretty tough on me if I've been slacking off. What do you think? What have you done in the same situation as me?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You wish.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kahall
Dec 30 2007, 07:24 AM
Learning Roadie
I know you're serious, but have you tried turning up your amps to 11ish? That works for me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Tomy Jeon
Dec 30 2007, 07:25 AM
Hmm... Go to youtube and listen to Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert. Worked for me smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Obi-Wan Kenobi dislikes babies!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 30 2007, 10:52 AM
Lets go fishing!
There was plenty of times when I first started guitar that I felt not that enthused about practicing. Typically I would sit back and watch some "guitar hero" favorites of mine and that would really enthuse me to practice. The more I watched them the more I had goals in my mind of the kind of player I wanted to be. I had started to build up in my mind a list of techniques I wanted to practice, Alternate picking, sweep arpeggios, legato etc and started picking lessons from the archive that would help me build up my techniques in this area ! smile.gif

If your picking up the guitar and not feeling to enthused about practice, maybe its because your lacking structure and/or direction about where YOU want to go with your playing. You could try listing all the things you wish to study and pick 2 or 3 techniques to try and nail.

Just a thought wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2007, 11:49 AM
Instructor
Man, you really don't have to push yourself with a couple of hours of practice in that stadium. Just take it easy, try not to "burn out" your desire to play so early. Play like 15m per day in the first week, and then move on on some more intensive schedule - like an hour per day and keep that schedule every day, and you'll be advancing very quickly trust me. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 30 2007, 12:34 PM
My suggestion would be to hang out with other guitar players, if you know any. I was in a situation similar to yours, but then I spent about two weeks with a friend of mine who also played the guitar. We talked a lot about guitar playing, played a lot, etc. After that I got more than my original motivation back, it was really great. I don't know if it works for you, but it's worth a shot.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Dec 30 2007, 12:51 PM
I know you're serious, but have you tried turning up your amps to 11ish?

Attached Image

I think that's a normal human nature type of thing to go through. Sometimes you just have to make yourself do it, even just a little bit, when you don't want to. Just GO to the gym, GO to martial arts class, GO to soccer practice.......whatever it is that you are doing often just needs a little kick start.

And don't be too hard on yourself....no one can take a break from something and come back at the same level. Try Ivan's suggestion of small sessions per day for a time. And set easily attainable short term goals like learn 5 new chords, learn 1 simple chord progression, increase 5 BPM in an exercise, etc. Success is a great motivator!

Good luck and keep us posted.

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 30 2007, 12:56 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Dec 30 2007, 11:49 AM) *
Man, you really don't have to push yourself with a couple of hours of practice in that stadium. Just take it easy, try not to "burn out" your desire to play so early. Play like 15m per day in the first week, and then move on on some more intensive schedule - like an hour per day and keep that schedule every day, and you'll be advancing very quickly trust me. smile.gif

+1
I agree completely. Sound to me you made a "job" out of guitar playing. Remeber it's supposed to be fun. Maybe you're rushing it since you feel you started late? Don't, you may lose it completely if it becomes a large burden to you.

Instead, have fun!!! smile.gif If that means dropping the lessons for a few weeks and just play and use what you've learned so far or just play Hotel California 24/7, whatever is fun, then so be it.

fun fun fun fun cool.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 30 2007, 04:53 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (RobM @ Dec 30 2007, 02:22 AM) *
Anyone who has read anything about me knows that after a life long ambition to play the guitar I started learning how to play this past June. I started weekly lessons and after a few weeks found GMC and started in on some of the easier lessons here as well. I was very determined to become a good if not great guitarist, I would practice 2 - 4 hours a day, every day of the week and enjoy it.

Then about 2 months ago I gurt my neck and had to stop playing and did not play for like 6 weeks. During that time I wanted to play pretty badly but I've noticed that since I've been able to play again I really have not been into it. I've picked up the guitar a few times and tried to practice but I just didn't have that same feeling as I did before. I've forgotten some of the chords I knew , some of the practicing patterns I did before I've forgotten and those that I do remember I'm terrible at. Not to mention all of the callouses have worn off(not that big of a deal).

I dunno why I feel this way because I still want to become a good guitar player, but I don't get the feeling I did before when I picked up the guitar and started to play? Maybe if I just get back to it and give it some time (a few couple of hour a day practices, it will come back to me? Or I'm thinking, once I get back with my teacher it will be good again because he's pretty tough on me if I've been slacking off. What do you think? What have you done in the same situation as me?

Thanks

Hey Rob, don't get discouraged. I kind of know how you feel as I was in a similar situation this past April. I had just found GMC in March and was very excited about playing guitar. I hurt my shoulder pretty bad shortly after and could't play for about a month. When I did get back to playing, although I was excited, my motivation was shot and I found I was jumping all over the place. I stumbled with things I knew I could play and couldn't get into a structured practice routine at all. Guitar became a chore and I was getting very frustrated. A friend of mine gave me a few suggestions which helped me alot and got me back on track.

First baby steps. Like you I was just coming off an injury and hadn't practiced for a month or so. He told me that I shouldn't expect to just pick up the guitar and not stumble a bit. I should just ease back into things. Get my hands use to playing again. He suggested shorter practice seasons so as to not get bored or frustrated, consisting of techniques or songs I enjoyed playing...to help bring the fun element back.

Second, once the fun was back, was to bring some structure into my practice seasons. Instead of just spending hours on one thing I broke my sessions up into smaller intervals always finishing with either a song or a technique I enjoyed. (something to look forward to at the end of each practice) I worked on scales using a metronome trying to increase my speed, and also two to three of the beginner lessons. My practices generally were an hour to an hour and a half and I broke it up into intervals of 15-20 mins depending. This way I never really got bored or frustrated.

The third thing he suggested was to set small goals that were reasonable to attain. Whether it be to finish a scale pattern, learn a new chord, or increase my metronome speed. Just something to show myself I was improving and get my motivation up. I started keeping a journal of all my practice sessions keeping track of metronome speeds, scales learned, lessons being practice or finished etc. After only a few days I began to notice improvments, they were small, but they were still improvemnents. I set goals each week and tracked my progrees and before I new it all the ecxitement I felt before the injury was back. I still keep the journal and it has been a great tool for me when I feel my playing isn't getting anywhere. And actually you can keep track of how you improve each week here on GMC if you like.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=5075

I don't know if any of this will help you or not but it did help me. It sounds like you really want to keep playing...you just need a bit of a push to get ya jump started smile.gif Another thing that kind of gave me a bit of push was the enthusiasm of all the folks here at GMC and their love of playing guitar. Just reading posts about how people are improving, or just talking about guitar in general always seems to get me in the mood to play. This place is the best support system I can think of. Keep plugging at it Rob and I'm sure you'll have no problems getting the excitment back just remember to keep it fun.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 30 2007, 10:09 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
+1 Ivan, MickeM & rokchik

Its all about fun, dont be so hard on yourself, set yourself smaller goals, listen to some of your favourite music/guitar players, try to find that spark that set you on your way in June smile.gif

I used to have moments like that, I got myself back into it by learning songs and techniques that I`d not tried before, but shorter practice sessions, but I may have 3 or 4 sessions in one day sometimes, play a little bit, go out maybe, read,internet then come back pick up the guitar again, if I didnt feel like playing when I picked it up I just put it down and went and did something else, I soon found (without realising it) that my 15-30 mins of playing turned into an hour, then two, then before I knew i I couldnt leave the guitar alone.

If your feeling like this dont set yourself time routines to play either, if you dont feel like playing dont, I think its more demorilising forcing yourself to do something your just not into at that particular point, if you want to play guitar as bad as you say you do then you will just ease yourself back into it naturally.

I think probably what has happened in your case is just like when a friend moves away your life adjusts NOT to include that person in it anymore coz they arnt around. with you its the guitar, your injury has prevented you from playing so you adjusted and have been doing other things that dont involve it.

Chin up I`m sure it`ll all come back for you and you will be the great guitarist you want to be smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
nickmarx12345678
Dec 31 2007, 04:49 AM
Looks like everyone else covered it but i gotta say this one works very well for me smile.gif
"I know you're serious, but have you tried turning up your amps to 11ish? That works for me"

This post has been edited by nickmarx12345678: Dec 31 2007, 04:49 AM

--------------------
ROCK ON!!!!

+Quote Post
RobM
Dec 31 2007, 05:15 AM
After reading the feedback from so many of my fellow GMC'ers, I decided to practice. While I was playing I started thinking about what some of you said (rokchik, matt and freddie come to mind). As time went past I found myself playing things I had learned before and the more I played the more I wanted to play. Sure it didn't sound as good as it did before, but I was enjoying myself again for the first time since I got hurt.

I know today was just one practice session, but I feel after combining a few like I had today I'll have that old feeling back again. I'm taking the advice I was given and will take it slow and easy. By the time I have my lesson next week i'm hoping I'll be almost back to where I was before.

Thanks again people, I sure appreciate your words of wisdom, they certainly helped me.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 31 2007, 07:14 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (RobM @ Dec 31 2007, 12:15 AM) *
After reading the feedback from so many of my fellow GMC'ers, I decided to practice. While I was playing I started thinking about what some of you said (rokchik, matt and freddie come to mind). As time went past I found myself playing things I had learned before and the more I played the more I wanted to play. Sure it didn't sound as good as it did before, but I was enjoying myself again for the first time since I got hurt.

I know today was just one practice session, but I feel after combining a few like I had today I'll have that old feeling back again. I'm taking the advice I was given and will take it slow and easy. By the time I have my lesson next week i'm hoping I'll be almost back to where I was before.

Thanks again people, I sure appreciate your words of wisdom, they certainly helped me.

Great to hear Rob biggrin.gif

I'm glad your enjoying yourself again. Injuries are tough to get over not only physically but mentally. Keep plugging away and you'll get it all back in spades smile.gif And like I said GMC is the best support system and we're always happy to help. Keep us updated man.

Happy New Year!!!

rok

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Dec 31 2007, 07:24 PM
Ditto Rockchik's last.

It's not the number of times we fall that matter, but the number of times we get up.

Great to hear that you will stay with us, even with my corny cliches.

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 31 2007, 07:27 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Thats great mate smile.gif glad your getting back into it, I knew ya would smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 31 2007, 07:29 PM
Lets go fishing!
One things for sure, when your haveing fun your probably makeing progress as well. Just remember that even if it doesnt sound as good as it did now, with practice it will sounds great again!! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:37 PM