Making A New Habit
Ben Higgins
Oct 31 2012, 11:26 AM
Instructor
When we think of having to begin a new pattern of behaviour we are often overwhelmed by the thought of having to commit to the long term of doing something every day. However, I think we often make it harder on ourselves by the way we look at it.

It's like brushing our teeth. If we were told when we were children, 'you've got to do this every day for the rest of your life' then it would seem overwhelming, no ? But instead, when the time comes to brush our teeth we just do it when it needs to be done, with no thought of the next time we've got to do it.

So we really only need to think of doing something once. Commit to doing something just once today.

Then tomorrow, we are renewed and we approach the new day. We commit to doing something once that day and we do it.

No thought of doing the habit over time, just do it once today and when the time comes to do it again, do it once again smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korblitz
Oct 31 2012, 11:36 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
+1 for Ben

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Oct 31 2012, 01:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
Absoulutley!
If we look at anything in the sence that we are going to have to do it the rest of our lives or a long time, it can be very scary and demotivating! Breaking it down to a little bit each day makes it so much easier I find. Kinda like living each day as its own and not concerning yourself with how much still needs to be done ahead. Live for the moment, so to speak.
I find it simmilar to learning. An instrument, a skill, A language ect.. Easy does it! A little bit each day, and progress/change will happen or become second nature.

I actually just realised im in one of these processes myself!
Im not ussualy the person to be involved much in social medias and forums. Its just something I guess comes from within as i've always been a bit of a shy person. Maybe its a laziness factor too tongue.gif
But GMC Rocks! and I want to involve myself more in the forums! So everyday I have to make at least one post in the forum.
Im time perhaps, Ill probably become that annoying guy in the forum laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Timmy b: Oct 31 2012, 02:54 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 31 2012, 02:56 PM
Learning Roadie
You've got a task on your hands if you're going to beat me at being the annoying guy!!!

Habit is indeed a powerful thing. It takes all thought process and decision making out of the equation. It just happens

Things like going to the gym, guitar practice can become habit, so we don't even have to think about whether we want to do it, we just do it without fail, without question.

Unfortunately other things can become habit, like getting home from work and turning the TV on for the evening, picking your nose, using bad language, eating donuts.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 31 2012, 03:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Oct 31 2012, 01:56 PM) *
eating donuts.

Heeeeyyy........ go easy wink.gif

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Nov 1 2012, 11:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
That's the definition of discipline!
You just do it when it's time to do it. When you're doin it, it's not so bad - it's not thinking about it before hand - you just jump right in, cause once you started it, you're into it!

I practice at least 2 hours a day, no excuses. You can too!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Nov 1 2012, 11:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Oct 31 2012, 02:56 PM) *
You've got a task on your hands if you're going to beat me at being the annoying guy!!!

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Nice one!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 2 2012, 12:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Nov 1 2012, 10:16 PM) *
That's the definition of discipline!
You just do it when it's time to do it. When you're doin it, it's not so bad - it's not thinking about it before hand - you just jump right in, cause once you started it, you're into it!

I practice at least 2 hours a day, no excuses. You can too!

Brilliant video ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:45 AM