Mathematical Issues - And A Solution To My Ever Ending Problem
Staffy
Apr 28 2010, 08:41 AM
Learning Tone Master
The story goes like this - I've been frustrated for a long time, since neither of my computers or soundcards records what I'm playing properly because of some small latency. Most noticeable in swing/jazz/shuffle type of music. Regarding to all experts a latency of 3 ms. shall not be noticeable, which is definitely false since my playing sounds OK when I record it with the built-in mic on a video cam, but stinks in the DAW at the same take. Maybe I'm stupid here, but are You other guy's compensate for latency in the DAW when recording????

Anyhow, I found a nifty little function in Cubase that let You compensate the latency in the driver by setting the samples to be recorded with a negative value. And voila' - now it sounds like I played it. The only problem I have now is how to calculate the numbers of samples to be adjusted according to the sample rate. Is there a mathematic formula for this??? Eg. if I'm recording at 44,1 kHz and have a reported latency from the soundcard of 3.4 ms, how many samples shall be moved???

//Staffay

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 28 2010, 10:23 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Good think you didn't post the mathematical forumla on a drummmers och bass players forum or you'd be likely to never get a correct reply wink.gif
just kidding! smile.gif

Like my wife does, I will only reply to the first question put in a mail or SMS and ignore the rest. No, I don't compensate. My ears can't pickup the 3ms latency in the recording.If you hear it I understand it's a must for you to be happy with your work.
But can't you just play 3 ms before the music to manually compensate? laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Apr 28 2010, 10:36 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 28 2010, 11:23 AM) *
But can't you just play 3 ms before the music to manually compensate? laugh.gif

Oh, I've tried that too, ofc. it's possible - but then You have to stress the timing, and then its gonna be wrong when You play for "real" instead... tongue.gif This phenomena has drived me nuts the last year or so, it's most remarkable when playing to swing music with the cymbal playing in a triplet feel. In straight rock tunes, it doesn't seems to matter at all though........

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 28 2010, 11:08 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
The formula is as follows Staffy:

where x is the number of samples and s is the delay in milli seconds

(x/44100) . 1000 = s

so in your case x=( 3.5 x 44100) /1000 = 154

If you don't want the hassle of having to work it out each time there are a few freeware calculators around that do this automatically - ie they will get the latency direct from the host and report it back to you as samples etc.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 30 2010, 02:27 AM
Instructor
Why don't you just use the latency compensation delay function? I hope this is what you need, not sure, check out the inspector view, there is a slider next to volume and pan ones to the left.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
stratman79
Apr 30 2010, 10:50 AM
Learning Rock Star
not really helpful solving the issue, but I say get out the reel to reel, sounds better anyway...

+Quote Post
Staffy
Apr 30 2010, 04:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 30 2010, 03:27 AM) *
Why don't you just use the latency compensation delay function? I hope this is what you need, not sure, check out the inspector view, there is a slider next to volume and pan ones to the left.

Yeah, like I said - I AM stupid..... that was far more simple. Thx. Ivan! And thx. Tony!

//Staffay

QUOTE (stratman79 @ Apr 30 2010, 11:50 AM) *
not really helpful solving the issue, but I say get out the reel to reel, sounds better anyway...

Yeps, I have that experience too....

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 1 2010, 02:10 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
NP Staffay smile.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 10 2010, 03:26 AM
Instructor
You're welcome. I don't use it today, but back when I worked with the card that had ~150ms of latency, the option was a real time-saver (literally) smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
emirb
Jun 2 2010, 10:17 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I don't believe that 3ms of latency is what you experience as your problem. Even if the sound card says 3ms, the real latency is actually sum of the all processing from input to final output. I haven't done any real measurements but logic says to me that audible difference has to be at least in the 75-150ms range to actually hear the latency and thus be annoyed by it smile.gif This is my experience: my sound card has (as lowest) latency of <2ms which is good in the price range. But this changes fast as I add tracks in cubase and specially if I add eq and/or effects. When I record new tracks I always (learned the hard way hehe) turn off everything besides whats really necessary. Then I get the latency which I don't hear anymore. But with heavily processed tracks (not to mention guitar rig! if you use it) you simply cannot count in measurements of 2-3ms. No programmer is THAT good smile.gif if it's software then you have issues with hdd's, memory, busses, cpu's etc.
With this said, I tried to compensate with this negative sample stuff but I quickly realized (and sort of proved that problem isn't of constant immutable nature) that this 'latency' is changed every time I run cubase! Sometimes I put my comp in hibernate state in order to continue working on something as fast as possible and then this is most noticeable. In other words, if I would calculate numbers of samples I need to wait in order to compensate, this will work sometimes (according to current sound card latency) but mostly it won't.
Hope this helps, if not then I can at least say that I can relate to your frustration! smile.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 10 2010, 04:26 AM) *
You're welcome. I don't use it today, but back when I worked with the card that had ~150ms of latency, the option was a real time-saver (literally) smile.gif

I agree, remember those times:) soundblaster cards (believe it was awe32 I had back then) had a lot of latency. If you know that ~150ms is as best as it gets you have to compensate. Or manually do the sync (pain in the a**!!).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 5 2010, 03:17 PM
Instructor
Emir has a point. 3ms latency it probably not a real figure. Every plugin in the chain increases latency, as every plugin adds up to the time the signal needs to be processed. Bulky plugins, such as software modelers or mastering compressors/limiters can add up quite a bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:22 PM