> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Mr. Spock's Applied Theory Galactic Compendium
Cosmin Lupu
May 3 2014, 12:11 PM
Instructor
Very good observation smile.gif

You know, practicing in every field is meant to allow us to instinctively react to outside stimulus. Take animals as an example:

When an animal is endangered, it will instantaneously react and fight back fiercely for his life. A human, will back off in fear most of the time, think things over, overthink, become paralyzed.

It's a good sign that when you knew what you had to do, you reacted instantaneously and unconsciously and most of all, effectively wink.gif

This is usually a result of focused practice, that leads to reaction and reflex honed with hours of focused work. But when you told me about the TV, I was just going: Ah!! How does he want to improve without focus! biggrin.gif Guess I was too quick a judge smile.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ May 2 2014, 01:42 PM) *
HAHA - I knew you would zero in on that. I didn't mean to say that I practice in front of the TV all the time, I practice 90% of the time back where my setup is, and sometimes on the back porch, but, I also feel that when I am ready to just allow my mind to sit and not do anything, like right before bed, sometimes I will still keep the guitar with me and lightly do it - drilling the patterns.

Something interesting I noticed last night was, and have noticed this before, I was on the back porch practicing and my sister came over, while I was listening to her I noticed my fingers would not stumble up, but when I went back to concentrating, the stumbling resumed - there is almost a feeling of disconnectedness that allows the muscle memory to take over and the analyzation to be put aside. I wonder how much of my issues do stem from thinking too much.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spock
May 4 2014, 02:31 PM
GMC:er
I'll start putting up recordings this week and moving forward on this thing - I think I'm ready. I really want to find a Zakk Wylde solo next and victimize everyone within earshot of me for a month or so.

These are just styles I would hope to mimic in my own playing, I would love to develop the attack of Zack, the melody of Adrian Smith and the eclectics of Alex Lifeson. I guess as far as solo playing, those are the guys that resonate with me most.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Spock: May 4 2014, 02:32 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 4 2014, 03:28 PM
Instructor
Ah, well, there's a bunch of Zakk Wylde inspired lessons here that you can try mate! Let's finish the ones you are working on already and we can get to those as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
May 4 2014, 04:45 PM
Just going back and reading about the list. I just picked those, but I need something to keep my interest piqued - so, I figure I may as well go ahead and start on the Zakk Wylde one. It will be long, tedious, nerve racking (not for you, but you may read me bitching about it) - but, I'll get it.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 4 2014, 08:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ May 4 2014, 03:45 PM) *
Just going back and reading about the list. I just picked those, but I need something to keep my interest piqued - so, I figure I may as well go ahead and start on the Zakk Wylde one. It will be long, tedious, nerve racking (not for you, but you may read me bitching about it) - but, I'll get it.

So, by that I understand that you want to tackle a Zakk Wylde oriented lesson as well, in the list? I would go for this one:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Chicke...Madness-Basics/

Learning his chicken pickin style with this one should help a lot into digging into the complicated fast runs he uses.

+Quote Post
Spock
May 4 2014, 09:16 PM
Yea - that's a great one, that one will shut me up for a while, trying to get my right hand to work that out. I have never been a finger picker so this is something new.

This post has been edited by Spock: May 5 2014, 11:10 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 5 2014, 04:33 PM
Instructor
Alright man smile.gif Glad to know you like it already wink.gif

Now, take your time and practice focused and slow at first smile.gif I felt compelled to tell you that, of course biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Spock @ May 4 2014, 08:16 PM) *
Yea - that's a great one, that one will shut me up for a while, trying to get my right hand to work that out. I have never been a finger picker so this is something new.

+Quote Post
Spock
May 6 2014, 01:49 PM
After trying to record for the 2nd morning, and still wondering why I felt the need to speed up, slow down, hold notes, etc. in certain places, it finally dawned on me to take the official song with all the guitars, and play along with that at slower speed (instead of the backing track with no guitars) - so i can hear exactly what is being played in the same time frames and how they are played. I did that just before I had to get ready for work this morning, but this will help me tremendously and I don't know why i didn't think of doing this earlier. Funny that listening to Adrian play it at slower speed, he actually speeds up parts as well - to be honest, it's sort of a sloppy solo, which I'm okay with - I think in drum machines that is called "humanization", or guitar it's called soul. So it's not really a note per tempo thing, but it fits together nicely at 100% speed. Still, it was easy to see what was so confusing to me - trying to play each note on a beat and stumbling around.

This post has been edited by Spock: May 6 2014, 01:51 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 7 2014, 01:36 PM
Instructor
Hehe smile.gif Mate, try to emulate the best version of that solo at slow speed and then gradually raise it once you are comfortable with EVERY detail, ok? It's the most surefooted way to do it!

+Quote Post
Spock
May 8 2014, 11:40 AM
DISCLAIMER ALERT!!!

Okay so I picked the solo out with the tutorial video, which upon listening to along with the actual solo there is a place after the fast part that does not fit, so I picked out the way Maiden ends that - but my fingers are still automatically going to what I initially picked out from the tutorial video, so, you'll hear that glaringly - again, the discrepancy doesn't sound near as "in your face" at 100% as it does at 75%. A few bends I wish I sounded more accurate on in this take as well - but I don't think I'll ever play it exactly accurate all the way through.

But, here it was at 75% this morning...

[attachment=37054:wy75.mp3]

No - I am not satisfied, it just means I will have to keep playing along with the record to play it like Adrian does. This has turned into a mission for me.

This post has been edited by Spock: May 9 2014, 12:01 AM

+Quote Post
Spock
May 9 2014, 01:30 AM
Another thing I am boringly working on is just going backwards from the top string to the bottom, pinky finger first, one fret at a time stepping backward. I can't believe I have never drilled this in my playing.

+Quote Post
Spock
May 9 2014, 02:10 AM
Gosh, my severe bad! The dude, in the instructional video was right all along, and somehow I allowed my natural movement to over ride his precise instruction, mentally.

Anyway, this is what I deal with on guitar Captain - "my head". I guess I'm too impatient, I've always settled for close and pulling off the main notes - never precise. But, I want this!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 9 2014, 10:41 AM
Instructor
You see, you know what you are dealing with - now, the question is - who will be stronger? The accurate and precise YOU or the 'Ah, it works anyway' YOU. Guess who has the power to decide... YOU do laugh.gif

Now, philosophizing or not - please DO take the time to restart your brain and practice slowly and accurately, ok? All you need is patience and willpower - both can be practiced and achieved smile.gif What do you say?

+Quote Post
Spock
May 9 2014, 01:03 PM
That is the plan. Plus, just linking these patterns opens up other avenues to explore with my own projects. I like going for stuff over my head, there is a major sense of accomplishment once achieved. I saw in another thread where one of the instructors posted a lot of instructional videos on different modes. I found myself glued to them at work yesterday. Just to learn those shapes and to know what mode they are would be great, regardless of if I can't play them as fast as they were recorded.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 9 2014, 06:07 PM
Instructor
Mate - forget shapes smile.gif Using modes is all about learning the distinct sounds of each mode in turn and learning what notes should be played over what chord for what effect smile.gif We'll talk about those later, but first stick to what you started! K?

QUOTE (Spock @ May 9 2014, 12:03 PM) *
That is the plan. Plus, just linking these patterns opens up other avenues to explore with my own projects. I like going for stuff over my head, there is a major sense of accomplishment once achieved. I saw in another thread where one of the instructors posted a lot of instructional videos on different modes. I found myself glued to them at work yesterday. Just to learn those shapes and to know what mode they are would be great, regardless of if I can't play them as fast as they were recorded.

+Quote Post
Spock
May 14 2014, 09:39 AM
I'm getting better at it. I took 4 days off playing, being out of town for a few and having to recover on Sunday - but yesterday morning I was able to play the solo better than I have up to this point - I think the little break actually helped.

+Quote Post
Spock
May 14 2014, 01:27 PM
I went ahead and recorded the entire song this morning. My rhythm guitars sound like crap but it was 5:30 a.m. and I didn't have time to mess with my tone before work - but this is the solo as of this morning (YES, I am still playing it slow) and my timing is not 100% on the intro part that goes throughout the song - that part is like a marathon for me - but considering where I was on this a month ago - not even knowing the entire song or the solo, I'm pretty happy with where I am today on it - yet, still not there yet. I do think better guitar tone would make this take sound much better though. I used the Jackson and my Silver PRS for rhythms, and the Jackson for the solo and intro parts.

Be gentle. biggrin.gif

[attachment=37146:Wasted_Y...00_Speed.mp3]

Yea the rhythm guitars they sound out of tune - but they're not, I think I must have had an effect like a chorus or something but I'm at work now and can't check, will figure that out this evening. Regardless - this is just my progress not happy with tone at all.

This post has been edited by Spock: May 14 2014, 02:40 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 15 2014, 09:37 AM
Instructor
Hey man - yeah indeed, they sound a bit shaky, but all in all the rhythm part and themes are in pretty good shape as far as execution goes. The solo, well, that one needs more focus as it sounds rigid and forced at this point. More slow practice will do the trick, of course - I know you just love that biggrin.gif

On the other hand, what did you use to record the guitar tones, amp or software?

+Quote Post
Spock
May 15 2014, 09:57 AM
I ran direct from my Marshall, but in front of that is the PODHD 500X. I have a bank of settings, 8 pedals - 4 change the channels/reverb/master volume/ the lead channel is OD2 which also kicks in a slight delay through the FX loop and the other 4 are FX, an overdrive, a Chorus, a Flanger and phaser.

I know I utilized the Chorus at some point, so I'm thinking in my last second decision to put another guitar track down on rhythms, I played it with my lead channel and chorus engaged.

Not having time to redo it anything else before work, I just bounced the take and left. It would not be a hard fix and I may do that right now, so I can boost the guitars a little, and least then as I get better with the solo, I will have a song take to lay the solo down too.

But this morning I just feel like messing around with a couple of cover songs, just play to play. If I rerecord the rhythms I'll throw them back on here - I kept the guitars low in the mix when I noticed it - it wasn't near as apparent playing along with the backing tracks

P.S. I am okay with slow practice - I just like seeing where I am at speed wise, i rarely play this play this at 100% speed right now, but I am leaps and bounds better at it than when I started - because of slow practice.

This post has been edited by Spock: May 15 2014, 10:08 AM

+Quote Post
Spock
May 15 2014, 12:44 PM
Okay this take is much better.

I'm not sure what was going on with the guitar tone in the one yesterday?

Anyway - for this version I used my PRS Standard 24 panned Left and the new PRS SE Spalted top Panned Right and brought them both up higher in the mix. So this is just straight Marshall (direct), no EQ or anything RAW A.M. recording. No FX on rhythm guitars - just straight Marshall on OD1 - orange. The intro and solo (Jackson) are OD2 - Red with slight delay, and chorus.

[attachment=37158:Wasted_Y...w_at_100.mp3]

I will say that recording side by side, I did like the U.S. PRS better than the SE, the tone seemed to be tighter - but that could have something to do with the strings too. The SE still has 9 gauge on it, so when I make the open G's and D's the strings felt as if they wanted to slip off the bottom of the fretboad. Also, the top end chunk isn't as ball crushing - but that could be because the PRS Standard has Zakk Wylde EMGs in it. I'm going to get the SE set up for 10s and see if that changes anything, if not I may decided to put the U.S. PRS pups in it.

This post has been edited by Spock: May 15 2014, 02:08 PM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:47 PM