6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Alternate Picking Workout
Gert1973
Oct 27 2023, 05:03 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Oct 27 2023, 06:01 PM) *
You're welcome! It's always a pleasure to work with you and I'm happy to hear that you liked it so much. Definitely, we will set up a new musical bootcamp (Dan also hardly wait). smile.gif

BTW...next time you should send the luggage one week before you come to be sure that it will arrive at the same time with you. laugh.gif

Hahahahahaha... good idea!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Nov 14 2023, 04:34 PM
Hello again Monica,

Another take of this lesson was scheduled for tomorrow but I felt good and did it today laugh.gif

I think I made some progress but this lesson still needs more work.

But I'm curious if my trills have improved tongue.gif

Here's the take at 145bpm

Analysis:
0-42: first part no wrong notes but some timing issues
42-56: on the middle part the vibrato's sound better now
56-1.12: this part sounds good
1.16: trill number one biggrin.gif
1.19: trill number two! I have worked hard on the trills. I think they have improved but still need some more practice.
1.19-1.28: no issues here

Overall not many mistakes and some improvement compared to the last take.

I think I will remain on the same tempo for at least one more week IF you tell me to raise the tempo laugh.gif

Have a great CHRISTMAS evening, hahahahaha

Gert

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Nov 14 2023, 05:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Nov 14 2023, 03:34 PM) *
Hello again Monica,

Another take of this lesson was scheduled for tomorrow but I felt good and did it today laugh.gif

I think I made some progress but this lesson still needs more work.

But I'm curious if my trills have improved tongue.gif

Here's the take at 145bpm

Analysis:
0-42: first part no wrong notes but some timing issues
42-56: on the middle part the vibrato's sound better now
56-1.12: this part sounds good
1.16: trill number one biggrin.gif
1.19: trill number two! I have worked hard on the trills. I think they have improved but still need some more practice.
1.19-1.28: no issues here

Overall not many mistakes and some improvement compared to the last take.

I think I will remain on the same tempo for at least one more week IF you tell me to raise the tempo laugh.gif

Have a great CHRISTMAS evening, hahahahaha

Gert

Hi again Gert!

That's a really nice take. I noticed a lot of improvements. smile.gif

Your analysis is correct. You are right, in the first part you have some timing issues (there are moments when you hurry).

0:42 - 0:56 - vibrato from the middle part. I like the fact that you played first the note and then you made the vibration.
What I don't like is the fact that you pressed very hard on the string when you made the vibrato and because of that the notes sound very out of tune. Calm down the movements and control the strength.

The trills - finally we have some good sounding trills. biggrin.gif Just a little more practice and it will sound perfect. Great work!!! smile.gif

Overall, I really like your take. You don't have many issues (as you also said) and I think you manage the lesson well at this speed.

For next time, guess what?....You can raise the tempo with 5 BPM. laugh.gif Of course, you can practice one more week at this speed (to gain more confidence) and then increase the speed. wink.gif

Hahaha....thanks...I intend to enjoy my Christmas evening. laugh.gif As you saw, we decided to start earlier this year. laugh.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Nov 22 2023, 01:44 PM
Hello Monica,

I have prepared a new take on this laesson. For the first time at the speed of 150 bpm.

After one week at this speed, it already feels comfortable. There a a few tiny mistakes but if I practice one more week, it will be even better biggrin.gif

Analysis:
21: tiny unwanted string noise
30: same here
0-42: I don't think I have timing issues anymore in this part
43-56: I have practiced on strength here. I think I improved the vibrato's as I put less force on the strings. This part has improved I think.
57-1.24: this part is going really well.
1.14: nice trill, no?? tongue.gif
1.17: and again? laugh.gif

Overall very happy with this take!

Curious about your opinion as always wink.gif

Have a great Christmas day biggrin.gif

Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Nov 22 2023, 03:04 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Nov 22 2023, 12:44 PM) *
Hello Monica,

I have prepared a new take on this laesson. For the first time at the speed of 150 bpm.

After one week at this speed, it already feels comfortable. There a a few tiny mistakes but if I practice one more week, it will be even better biggrin.gif

Analysis:
21: tiny unwanted string noise
30: same here
0-42: I don't think I have timing issues anymore in this part
43-56: I have practiced on strength here. I think I improved the vibrato's as I put less force on the strings. This part has improved I think.
57-1.24: this part is going really well.
1.14: nice trill, no?? tongue.gif
1.17: and again? laugh.gif

Overall very happy with this take!

Curious about your opinion as always wink.gif

Have a great Christmas day biggrin.gif

Gert

Hi Gert!

From what I see, you are very close to reaching the full speed of this lesson. That's awesome!!! smile.gif

0:33 - be careful at the right hand not to touch the string with the finger because it will enter the pinch harmonics.

0:37 - 0:38 - these notes don't sound clear enough.

0:43 - 0:56 - from the strength point of view, it's better than last time, but you still add too much force when you make the vibrato and the string goes out of tune. You need to release the strength even more.

0:58 - 1:03 - the reverse picking part. Try to always play the palm muting on the sweet spot. Also, be careful of timing because you rush a few notes in the middle of the lick.

1:14; 1:17 - yes the trills sound good now. biggrin.gif The first one does not shine but the second one is awesome from both points of view: sound and speed.

Overall, your take sound really nice. You did an awesome work!!! smile.gif Be more careful at unwanted noises, at the clarity of the notes and control the strength when you execute the vibrato.

For next time, you can raise the tempo with 5 BPM. biggrin.gif Of course, play one more week at the current tempo and then increase the speed.

Have a great day!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 8 2023, 12:28 PM
Hello Monica,

I'm back after practicing hard on this lesson (and other lessons too tongue.gif )

I had a bit of a downfall with this lesson a few days ago. So I went back to 145bpm and build it back up.

So today I come with this take at 155bpm!

Analysis:
14: unwanted string noise
0-40: beside one unwanted string noise, this part is going good.
41-50: I have practiced this part very much and I think it has improved
51-1.08: I think I'm on the sweet spot now with muting. This part is also better then the previous one
1.11: What about the trills now?? biggrin.gif I do hear an unwanted string noise but this trill sounds very good in my opinion
1.15: second trill is also good, no??
1.16: unwanted string noise because I was excited of my trills laugh.gif

I'm very happy how this take sounds. Especially because a few days ago this lesson started to fall apart.

Am I ready for full throttle?? cool.gif

Cheers,
Gert

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Dec 8 2023, 12:30 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 8 2023, 01:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Dec 8 2023, 11:28 AM) *
Hello Monica,

I'm back after practicing hard on this lesson (and other lessons too tongue.gif )

I had a bit of a downfall with this lesson a few days ago. So I went back to 145bpm and build it back up.

So today I come with this take at 155bpm!

Analysis:
14: unwanted string noise
0-40: beside one unwanted string noise, this part is going good.
41-50: I have practiced this part very much and I think it has improved
51-1.08: I think I'm on the sweet spot now with muting. This part is also better then the previous one
1.11: What about the trills now?? biggrin.gif I do hear an unwanted string noise but this trill sounds very good in my opinion
1.15: second trill is also good, no??
1.16: unwanted string noise because I was excited of my trills laugh.gif

I'm very happy how this take sounds. Especially because a few days ago this lesson started to fall apart.

Am I ready for full throttle?? cool.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Don't worry, we all have days when things do not work how we expect. wink.gif

Your take sounds nice, but I would like to hear a better separation (more visible contrast) between muting vs open notes.

Be careful of timing because you tend to rush (mostly in the first part of the lesson).

0:41- 0:50 - unfortunately, this part still does not sound good because every time when you make a vibrato it sounds very out of tune. This happens because when you execute the vibrato, you pull the string down and you make the oscillation keeping the string down. That is totally wrong. You need between oscillations to let the string return to the point zero. Otherwise, it will sound out of tune.
Look very closely at your hand and you will see very clear the mistake that you made (you have this issue on all the vibratos from your take).

1:11- 1:15 - yes, the trills sound excellent from both points of view: execution and fastness. smile.gif

Great work for today!!! For next time, you can play the lesson at full speed. biggrin.gif

Have a great day!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Dec 20 2023, 04:14 PM
Hello Monica,

Here's the first take at FULL speed!! And therefore also a first REC take biggrin.gif

But I know this one will probably need some more polishing.

I have worked on the vibrato. Although I'm already at 160bpm here, I hope there's a tiny bit improvement in them ohmy.gif

I have also tried to make more audible difference between muted and unmuted notes. I must say, for my taste, they are a bit too muted and sound a bit too staccato. But maybe that's the goal I need here...

Here's the take:

Ooooh, this take is not played with the new guitar. As I'm typing this, the guitar is at the luthier for a full set-up. Some things needed adjustments cool.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Dec 20 2023, 05:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Dec 20 2023, 03:14 PM) *
Hello Monica,

Here's the first take at FULL speed!! And therefore also a first REC take biggrin.gif

But I know this one will probably need some more polishing.

I have worked on the vibrato. Although I'm already at 160bpm here, I hope there's a tiny bit improvement in them ohmy.gif

I have also tried to make more audible difference between muted and unmuted notes. I must say, for my taste, they are a bit too muted and sound a bit too staccato. But maybe that's the goal I need here...

Here's the take:

Ooooh, this take is not played with the new guitar. As I'm typing this, the guitar is at the luthier for a full set-up. Some things needed adjustments cool.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Awesome to see you playing this lesson at full speed. smile.gif

Let's analyze your take:

First of all, you need to take care of timing. It's visible that you need a little more time to get used to this speed (probably around 1–2 weeks of practice). That's why besides the timing issues, you also have spots where not all the notes sounds perfectly clear.

We can hear the difference between muted and unmuted notes but this time you added a little bit too much muting and that's why it sounds too staccato. tongue.gif The goal is to add more muting than last time but less muting than today.

Vibrato - I definitely can see an improvement. It's still not well executed, but at least it sounds less out of tune than last time. That's a good step forward.

Overall, you did a great work and I'm very proud of you!!! smile.gif

For next time, try to polish all the things that I pointed out.

BTW, I was thinking that your new guitar is at luthier. I hardly wait to see the beast in action. biggrin.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jan 16 2024, 01:37 PM
Hello Monica,

I'm surprised to see it's already over one month ago I posted the first REC attempt. So the past month I have worked hard at this lesson. The speed and the vibrato has been the biggest challenge here.

So today I finally made a second REC attempt. It was a big challenge to get this take. I'm proud to present it and I hope you like it wink.gif

Await the feedback and the points from the international jury laugh.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 16 2024, 03:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 16 2024, 12:37 PM) *
Hello Monica,

I'm surprised to see it's already over one month ago I posted the first REC attempt. So the past month I have worked hard at this lesson. The speed and the vibrato has been the biggest challenge here.

So today I finally made a second REC attempt. It was a big challenge to get this take. I'm proud to present it and I hope you like it wink.gif

Await the feedback and the points from the international jury laugh.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

It's a challenging lesson and it's normal to need more time for practice between takes. Don't worry about it. wink.gif

It's obvious that you worked a lot and I can say that you are going in a good direction. smile.gif But...we still need to add more work before the REC section.

There are a few details that we need to polish:

1. Timing - You are not comfortable yet with this speed. You tend to rush too much (play in front of the beat) and this happens on the entire take. Only in the middle part you play off beat because you have some moments of hesitation (0:41). Try to calm down a little.

2. You don't play all the notes equally. Don't forget that Darius uses a stronger picking. This will make you sound better and will also help you to have a better timing.

3. Vibrato - looks definitely better than last time, but you still have spots where you make it too nervous. Try to make it more delicate/gentle. biggrin.gif

4. There are moments where I can't hear all the notes played clearly (0:31, 0:36, 0:48, 0:57, 1:02, etc). Be careful when you have the sections played with palm muting to not block the notes (mostly when you play the part with reverse picking).

All the things that I pointed out are normal mistakes that happen at this level. There is nothing critical happening to worry about. I'm satisfied with how things work and I'm very proud of you!!! smile.gif

For next time, (you will not like what I will say but... laugh.gif ) please slow down the backing track with 10 BPM. It's better to make this tiny step back and fix everything in a perfect way. In this way, we will avoid bad habits occurring. Our purpose is to achieve accuracy in playing and we will work to achieve it. smile.gif

Have a great day!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jan 26 2024, 01:20 PM
Hi Monica,

As instructed I have backed down not only with 10bpm but I have build it up bar per bar starting at 120 bpm, 130bpm, 140bpm and 150 bpm.

I also have worked more on the vibrato's. Maybe they are the least improved in this take. But I guess a lot of things have been polished. I have used a stronger picking strength and I think all the notes are audible now and timing should also be improved.

But I let you be the judge laugh.gif

Here's the take at 150bpm

Let me know if some more polishing needs to be done wink.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 26 2024, 02:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jan 26 2024, 12:20 PM) *
Hi Monica,

As instructed I have backed down not only with 10bpm but I have build it up bar per bar starting at 120 bpm, 130bpm, 140bpm and 150 bpm.

I also have worked more on the vibrato's. Maybe they are the least improved in this take. But I guess a lot of things have been polished. I have used a stronger picking strength and I think all the notes are audible now and timing should also be improved.

But I let you be the judge laugh.gif

Here's the take at 150bpm

Let me know if some more polishing needs to be done wink.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Great choice to slow down the backing track even more. This is what we always need to do when we practice. smile.gif

Definitely you succeeded in polishing a lot of things. The stronger picking helped you to keep a better timing. It's not perfect yet because you have spots where you tend to rush a little, but it's highly improved compared with your last take. That's really awesome!!! smile.gif

0:03 - 0:29 - don't let the last note from each open note section overlap on the notes played with palm muting because it sounds very, very wrong. When you play the first note from the muting section, it is the moment when the last note from the open notes section stops ringing. Block this with your hand.

0:09 - 0:11 - I can't hear all the notes clear.

0:24 - the D note (fret 7/G string) can't be heard.

0:50 - this vibrato sounds out of tune. Don't add too much pressure on the finger.

0:52 - I can't hear the C# note (fret 4/ A string).

0:56 - 0:59 - don't rush when you play with reverse picking.

Overall, you did a great work!!! I'm very proud of you!!! smile.gif

For next time, fix the details that I pointed out and you can also raise the tempo with 5 BPM. biggrin.gif Keep practicing by building the speed until you achieve 155 BPM. wink.gif

BTW....you named the track "bending workout". laugh.gif laugh.gif

Have a great day!

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jan 26 2024, 02:36 PM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Feb 15 2024, 12:41 PM
Good afternoon Monica,

I have prepared a new take at 155 bpm. I have been working hard on this lesson. I think I have made some progress. The issues from last take are fixed I think. The vibrato's have improved a little bit and I feel also more comfortable at the speed.

Listen for yourself:

Analysis:
42: this note and vibrato should be more clear
1.09: this vibrato should not stop and need to be more legato
1.11: same here

A few little mistakes but I'm very happy with this take. For me it's the best so far... smile.gif

I hope you agree laugh.gif

Let me know how much polish I have to do laugh.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 15 2024, 01:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Feb 15 2024, 11:41 AM) *
Good afternoon Monica,

I have prepared a new take at 155 bpm. I have been working hard on this lesson. I think I have made some progress. The issues from last take are fixed I think. The vibrato's have improved a little bit and I feel also more comfortable at the speed.

Listen for yourself:

Analysis:
42: this note and vibrato should be more clear
1.09: this vibrato should not stop and need to be more legato
1.11: same here

A few little mistakes but I'm very happy with this take. For me it's the best so far... smile.gif

I hope you agree laugh.gif

Let me know how much polish I have to do laugh.gif

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Definitely, your playing is improved! Yes, I agree with you about the fact that this is your first take at 155 BPM which sounds quite nice. smile.gif Of course it doesn't sound perfect yet but you are going in the good direction. The progress is visible. smile.gif

You have spots ( 0:09; 0:14; 0:37; 0:50; 1:05) where the sound of some notes can't be heard (stuck sound).

0:24 - you rushed these notes

0:40 - 0:49 - in your previous take you played this section much better. tongue.gif Be very careful to not block the notes (0:40; 0:43; 0:46) when you change the shape of your fingers from rounded to flat.

1:17 - you accidentally hit a wrong note

Overall you did a great work and I'm very proud of you!!! smile.gif

For next time, remain at the same speed (we need to spend more time at this tempo) and polish all the things that I pointed out. Focus on playing all the notes very clear and equal.

Have a great day!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Feb 28 2024, 12:49 PM
Hi Monica,

I have prepared a new take at 155bpm!

I think the vibrato's sound better and I kind of succeeded in retiring the string to point zero (that's the most difficult part with vibrato in my experience).

I think every note is audible also...

Here's the take!

Let me know if I can move to full speed or stay at this tempo to polish some more cool.gif

Have a great day!

Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 28 2024, 01:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Feb 28 2024, 11:49 AM) *
Hi Monica,

I have prepared a new take at 155bpm!

I think the vibrato's sound better and I kind of succeeded in retiring the string to point zero (that's the most difficult part with vibrato in my experience).

I think every note is audible also...

Here's the take!

Let me know if I can move to full speed or stay at this tempo to polish some more cool.gif

Have a great day!

Gert

Hi Gert!

It's obvious that you have worked hard and today you came up with a very improved take. Great work!!! smile.gif

Yes, the vibrato sounds better because you let the string return to the point zero. This is a good thing. But...keep in mind to play first the note and then start the oscillations. wink.gif

0:13 - 0:18 - in this part I can't hear all the notes clearly. Some of them have a blocked sound.

In the first part of the lesson, be very careful and don't let the last note from each open note section overlap on the first notes played with palm muting. Also, avoid playing the last note of each section shorter than it should be. Keep the correct duration of the note.

I'm very proud of you!!! For next time, you can move to full speed. biggrin.gif

Have a great day!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Mar 16 2024, 05:31 PM
Hi Monica,

Today was all about this take!

I proudly present REC attempt number 3. REC attempt number two was exactly 2 months ago. I think the difference between number 2 and this one is noticeable.

Here's the take:

For me this if the best one I have delivered since the start 11 months ago smile.gif

Enjoy and I hope you'll like it too...

Cheers,
Gert

This post has been edited by Gert1973: Mar 16 2024, 05:35 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 16 2024, 06:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Mar 16 2024, 04:31 PM) *
Hi Monica,

Today was all about this take!

I proudly present REC attempt number 3. REC attempt number two was exactly 2 months ago. I think the difference between number 2 and this one is noticeable.

Here's the take:

For me this if the best one I have delivered since the start 11 months ago smile.gif

Enjoy and I hope you'll like it too...

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

This is definitely your best take. smile.gif Yes, you are right, the difference between attempt number 2 and attempt number 3 is huge.
Your progress is very visible and I'm very proud of you.

Let's analyze your take:

At this moment, you don't seem to be very comfortable with this speed. You have spots in the take where you give me the feeling that you will fail. Try to relax a little.

Vibrato - it's a little too nervous and the oscillations aren't executed in a good way.

0:41 - you played a wrong note. Instead, of playing F# (A string / fret 9), you played F (A string/ fret 8)

0:53 - 0:57 - be careful at timing and don't slow down

As overall advice, take more care regarding the equality of the notes and your performance will be improved.

You did an awesome work. I know you want to finish this lesson until on 27 March and we will try to do that. smile.gif But....my advice would be to practice a few days more and shoot a new attempt (but keep this take as back-up). We will then choose the best one. wink.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Mar 21 2024, 01:22 PM
Good afternoon!

I have practiced a few days more and have (tried to) fix the remaining issues from the previous take!

It was intense to record this take but I'm very proud and satisfied with this result smile.gif

Here's the 4th REC attempt of this though alternate picking lesson:

Let me know if there're issues left to fix or I can put this take into REC...

BTW... I want to finish it before 25th... not 27th laugh.gif

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 01:27 AM