Dilemma Regarding Amp Size, Continuation of the "HT-5 for band" - post
mhskeide
Sep 29 2009, 07:16 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi guys

I felt that this topic deserved an own post, since there may be more people than me with the same problem.

I`ll try to keep it short until further details are asked for.

My current gear: Crate VTX 200s (200W 2*12 solid state amp)

Want: A tubeamp capable of playing both sweet cleans and evil, crushing distorition.

Quick prelude to dilemma: My current amp is very large, and only used home since I`m only playing bass in bands, I don`t need an amp of this size. Though, me and a mate are discussing starting a new band where I play guitar, I just dont know when it happenes or IF it happenes...

the dilemma: Buying an high-gain tubeamp usually means high-end as well. I saw a hope in the Blackstar HT-5 being able to be heard in a band, but I see now that it will be a bit low. On the other hand, a hi-end tubeamp will most likely be pretty expensive, and if the band I mentioned wont be established, then I will be having a monster amp for only home use, which equals waste in size imo.

Some alternatives:
1) Take my chances and trade my Crate for a HT-5 - Advantage: Minimal expenses - Drawback: Too low for band
2)Keep my crate and buy the HT-5 in addition - Advantage: Two amps, OK for band and great for home use - DB: Having an unsued, large amp at home. A bit expensive (since I`m not getting money in)
3) Trade the Crate into a large amp (f.i a 50W tube combo or head with cab) - Advantage: I`ll bet you already know this one(variety of amps, tone, size etc.) - Drawback: Most likely to very expensive, and oversized for exclusively home use

For now, I`ve also been able to find a compromise: The Blackstar Series 1 45 W combo (can be switched down to 4,5W!)

Can I have some views and tips on this case if someone`s able to help smile.gif ?

Budget: I hope I`ll be able to sell my Crate for 3,5-4,5k NOK (400€/600$ - 500€/800$), and if that`s the case, I`m ready to spend a bit since I know that quality costs, but rather not more than 13-14K NOK (1600€/2400$), and I would love a good, cheaper option as well wink.gif

I see now that me writing simple and short forum-Q`s are a joke laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 29 2009, 09:21 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Sep 29 2009, 07:24 PM) *
If someone would gimmie one to test ph34r.gif
The problem with ordering from other countries is the lovely 25 % I have to pay in taxes/customs if the product I`m buying costs more than 30 € mad.gif

AFAIK if you are outside the EU then you should not be paying rated EU vat/iva/etc. but you would be liable to pay the 25% Norwegian tax. As Thomann are German they may be adding 19% German vat to the stated price automatically. If that is the case they should quote you the tax free price and then you calculate how much Norwegian tax you would need to pay. Could make a big difference to the perceived cost smile.gif.

One other thing - perhaps consider getting a ferry across to Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK. There are several big guitar shops there that carry quite a lot of different amps etc that you could test and I'm pretty sure that they would be happy to quote for delivery etc. A lot of Norwegians go XMas shopping in Newcastle every year cool.gif .

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Sep 29 2009, 09:28 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 29 2009, 10:21 PM) *
AFAIK if you are outside the EU then you should not be paying rated EU vat/iva/etc. but you would be liable to pay the 25% Norwegian tax. As Thomann are German they may be adding 19% German vat to the stated price automatically. If that is the case they should quote you the tax free price and then you calculate how much Norwegian tax you would need to pay. Could make a big difference to the perceived cost smile.gif.

One other thing - perhaps consider getting a ferry across to Newcastle upon Tyne in the UK. There are several big guitar shops there that carry quite a lot of different amps etc that you could test and I'm pretty sure that they would be happy to quote for delivery etc. A lot of Norwegians go XMas shopping in Newcastle every year cool.gif .

would have been fun to go to England JUST to try amps, but maybe I could combine with a vacation sometime smile.gif
Anyways, I want a new amp before traveling to england again, it does cost some that as well you know ;P

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- mhskeide   Dilemma Regarding Amp Size   Sep 29 2009, 07:16 PM
- - MickeM   How about keeping the Crate and getting a preamp l...   Sep 29 2009, 07:30 PM
|- - mhskeide   QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 29 2009, 08:30 PM) Ho...   Sep 29 2009, 07:51 PM
|- - MickeM   QUOTE (mhskeide @ Sep 29 2009, 08:51 PM) ...   Sep 29 2009, 08:04 PM
nnn
nnn
- - ZakkWylde   Get a 50 watt combo version of one of the most com...   Sep 29 2009, 08:03 PM
|- - MickeM   QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Sep 29 2009, 09:03 PM)...   Sep 29 2009, 08:32 PM
|- - mhskeide   QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 29 2009, 09:32 PM) I...   Sep 29 2009, 08:33 PM
nnn
nnn
- - mhskeide   Many of my friends and acquaintances already have ...   Sep 29 2009, 08:09 PM
- - ZakkWylde   They all fall under your 1600 Euro limit, IF and o...   Sep 29 2009, 08:13 PM
|- - mhskeide   QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Sep 29 2009, 09:13 PM)...   Sep 29 2009, 08:24 PM
nnn
- - ZakkWylde   http://www.thomann.de/de/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm...   Sep 29 2009, 08:36 PM
|- - MickeM   QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Sep 29 2009, 09:36 PM)...   Sep 29 2009, 08:55 PM
|- - ZakkWylde   QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 29 2009, 09:55 PM) No...   Sep 29 2009, 09:06 PM
|- - Sollesnes   QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 29 2009, 09:55 PM) No...   Sep 29 2009, 09:10 PM
nnn
nnn
- - mhskeide   Holy horse! Is the 6505 seriously retailed at ...   Sep 29 2009, 09:11 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Well Series One 45W combo definitely seems like a ...   Sep 29 2009, 09:12 PM
- - mhskeide   Wow, that Egnator Renegade DOES sound kickass!   Sep 29 2009, 09:20 PM
nnn
- - ZakkWylde   Drawbacks on the 112 Peavey? It's not released...   Sep 29 2009, 09:42 PM
|- - mhskeide   QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Sep 29 2009, 10:42 PM)...   Sep 29 2009, 10:09 PM
nnn
- - tommyboy   How about the Marshall Haze line. Try this link ...   Sep 30 2009, 03:32 AM
- - murphy13   line 6 spider valve 2 12 , loudest 40w out there, ...   Oct 18 2009, 03:28 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:13 PM