The Chief Says Hi, "You're gonna need a bigger axe"
Chief Brody
Jan 10 2008, 07:28 AM
GMC:er
Hello GMC,

A certified newbie says hello! Here's the low down.

Name: Rob McMillan
Nationality: English
Current location: Japan (Gifu prefecture)
Current employment: English teacher

I've been out in Japan for 5 months now in my first "proper" job and it's afforded me both the time and the money to fund a dream of mine - playing guitar!

I've wanted to play for many years but didn't have the confidence to follow it through, convincing myself that i was too old to start and had no "natural talent" (it didn't help that a number of my friends at University were/are fantastic guitar players who started at a young age).

But when New Year rolled around i realised that if i'd just taken the plunge when i first felt the desire to play i would already have 5+ years of practice under my belt and be achieving things i can currently only dream of! After this realisation i decided that i would not wait any longer and broke out of the vicious cycle.

I didn't feel my newbieness justified buying anything super expensive (i'm saving that for when i head back to the UK in a few years) so i went to the local music store and, with the advice of the super-friendly assistant, i purchased a Fender (Japan) Jaguar and a Yamaha Compass series Electro-acoustic, both of which i already love playing.

After the initial excitement of finally owning a guitar i realised that i needed a bit of direction, which brought me here. I can't fault the friendliness of the members nor the standard of the lessons here, as a beginner i find myself quite intimidated by the sheer amount of work i've let myself in for but at the same time i love the challenge, i can't put down my guitars and try to get at least 3 hours of practice in after work. I know now that i'm going to be playing until i die! cool.gif

I'm currently mixing it up between a couple of exercises, a standard lesson or two and i give myself one song that i like/has inspired me and try my hand and transcribing and learning to play it. This feels like the right balance for me and i figure that as long as i maintain focus and dedication with the knowledge of good technique i'll achieve what i'm aiming for. Currently the aim is to be able to play the music i listen to all the time such as blues/funk/rock, although i'm definitely beginning to appreciate the shred since coming here wink.gif . As long as i maintain a focus on my goals, i figure the more techniques i'm exposed to the better!

Anyhoo, i'm currently at work and have a class full of kids desperate to learn some English!

This is a fantastic site with a great community, keep it up!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Chief Brody   The Chief Says Hi   Jan 10 2008, 07:28 AM
- - Maximus   Welcome to GMC. I only wish I had this place as a ...   Jan 10 2008, 07:34 AM
- - Tomy Jeon   Welcome to GMC Rob!   Jan 10 2008, 08:00 AM
- - Gen   Welcome man, enjoy your stay!   Jan 10 2008, 08:00 AM
- - PlayAllDay   Yes welcome Chief Brody! GMC is the best place...   Jan 10 2008, 08:06 AM
- - Milenkovic Ivan   Welcome chief, have fun playing. Check out some of...   Jan 10 2008, 09:13 AM
- - botoxfox   Welcome   Jan 10 2008, 09:31 AM
- - Smells   Hello & welcome to GMC   Jan 10 2008, 09:46 AM
- - mattacuk   Welcome Rob !! You are very lucky to have ...   Jan 10 2008, 10:00 AM
- - Pavel   Welcome m8! Have fun here! I want to vis...   Jan 10 2008, 10:57 AM
|- - Muris   Welcome Rob!! Be aware of s and enjoy ...   Jan 10 2008, 11:01 AM
nnn
- - DeepRoots   Welcome Chief   Jan 10 2008, 11:39 AM
- - Bogdan   Fantastic story !! Welcome to GMC man ...   Jan 10 2008, 11:54 AM
- - Dejan   Welcome Chief Have a nice stay here   Jan 10 2008, 02:58 PM
- - Toni Suominen   Welcome to GMC chief!   Jan 11 2008, 10:48 PM
- - Paul Coutts   never too old to learn, mate. Enjoy your time and ...   Jan 11 2008, 11:37 PM
|- - FretDancer69   QUOTE (Paul Coutts @ Jan 11 2008, 04:37 P...   Jan 12 2008, 04:22 AM
nnn
- - SEANCD2005   welcome to gmc   Jan 12 2008, 04:34 AM
- - Hisham   welcome to GMC   Jan 12 2008, 11:24 PM
- - FretDancer69   Hey man, i dont know if anyone here has noticed it...   Jan 12 2008, 11:36 PM
- - Juan M. Valero   Hello Chief, welcome to GMC   Jan 14 2008, 10:33 PM
- - preownedguitar   I too regret putting the guitar down when I was yo...   Jan 15 2008, 11:18 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:27 AM