Am I The Only One That Likes The Clean Tone Of Emgs?
Mudbone
Aug 10 2010, 06:58 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I think EMGs have a great clean tone. Although its not colorful, it does have its own character. Some people like to say the tone is sterile, I like to say is pristine biggrin.gif To my ears, I think the best clean tone comes from a strat with single coils, but that doesn't mean because one is great the other crap. Life ain't so black and white. So, am I the only one that appreciates the cleans of EMGs?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Aug 10 2010, 09:47 AM
GMC:er
Most output level setup of EMG pickups is too hot to get clean tones.
I think it's neck pickup 81 or 85 for a heaver tone, 60 for a bright clean tone, 60A for a warm clean tone.
You also have to lower the volume for it to sound truely clean.

My recommendation however is to keep it hot! Great metal/rock sound, you buy them for that purpose, why clean it up?
It has no real personality or even its own distinctive tone clean unless you overlap effects?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Aug 10 2010, 09:49 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Aug 10 2010, 11:00 AM
Learning Roadie
I kinda like them cause they sound really smooth and "consistent"...

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: Aug 10 2010, 11:00 AM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 10 2010, 12:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
I think you can get way better results with passive pickups because you can play with the dynamics a lot more!

The cleansound of emgs however is not too bad though, it's just the EMG 81 in the bridge that sounds cold and sterile clean - but that is mostly due to it's ceramic magnet and not it being active. Passive high output ceramic pickups like the Seymour Duncan Sh-6 sound just a s bad clean!

The EMG 85 can get some good clean sounds, the 60 can get an incredible clean tone (METALLICA!!) and the SA single coils can get a great tone aswell!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Shime
Aug 10 2010, 01:25 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 10 2010, 01:24 PM) *
The EMG 85 can get some good clean sounds, the 60 can get an incredible clean tone (METALLICA!!) and the SA single coils can get a great tone aswell!

+1 on the SA single coils, they sound great clean.

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 10 2010, 09:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
Im a bit of a convert to EMG's, I used to really favour the passive vintage sound, I still do really but Im also a big fan of EMG's now. The SA in the neck position of my Jaden Rose sounds very stratty to me, if a little darker and with less snap but its got that warm hollow tone I crave in that position. I dont think EMG cleans are sterile, thats a bit of a sweeping statement as the whole signal chain affects tone not just the pickup source, gilmour, Lukather etc all managed to get awesome sounds out of an EMG, maybe not an 81 but no-one is fooling themselves about what thatt was made for! Still I can get nice high headroom cleans through my 81, no sweat.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 11 2010, 12:43 AM
I have an 81/85 set in a Minarik Les Paul shaped guitar and I use the center toggle position quite a bit for clean tones. It activates both pickups and gives a nice balanced sound. But it's not everyone's cup of tea. Pickups are like strings and picks in that choosing which is best depends as much on what is being played as the player involved.

Todd

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 11 2010, 11:25 PM
Instructor
I don't like the tone because it is compressed, but it doesn't sound bad, it's very defined.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 11 2010, 11:32 PM
Learning Roadie
I personally like them. Nice fat tone. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 12 2010, 12:10 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 11 2010, 06:25 PM) *
I don't like the tone because it is compressed, but it doesn't sound bad, it's very defined.

You should check out the 24v mod (yes 24v) if you haven't already. Its cheap, easy, and requires absolutely no modification. I'll post something on it later. You can find it on eBay.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Animal
Aug 19 2010, 05:50 AM
I have the EMG DG20 set (David Gilmour) in my Strat. It's 3 SA's + EXG (bass/treble boost, mid cut) + SPC (mid-boost) in my Strat. I love David's tone on The Division Bell and PULSE albums. They do sound a bit flat without the active tone controls, but crank the SPC up to 5 or 7 and add a little bit of the EXG, and the most heavenly sounds come out of it. smile.gif

These are the only active pickups I have, so I can't say anything about the 81, 85 or 60.

--------------------

Guitars : Fender Strat, Epi Les Paul, Ibanez RG
Amp : Line 6 Pod X3
Influences : Pink Floyd, Santana, Metallica, Megadeth, Nightwish, Satch, Vai
Level : Early Intermediater (just over 3 years)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 19 2010, 07:31 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
The 60 is great for clean tones in my opinion smile.gif
It doesn't fit all styles, but for some parts it's amazing!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:14 PM