No Amp No Play!
mattacuk
Sep 25 2007, 06:44 PM
Lets go fishing!
Soooo, im still waiting for my replacment amplifier as my new one blew up! Havent been able to practice seriously for days and im worried ill loose my skills sad.gif

Im sorta lost to know what to do with my free time, I thought maybe GMC'ers could give me some sensible suggestions to keep me going!! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Sep 25 2007, 07:21 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Practice without an amp laugh.gif

Work on things you know you need to work on and might not normally-Chord voicings, movable shapes, notes on the fretboard, the possibilities are endess!

-Ben

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 25 2007, 07:27 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I'd say check out theory - but you always do anyway smile.gif

A few days won't hurt Matt, in fact you may even find an improvement when you come back to it.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 25 2007, 07:55 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (benhowell @ Sep 25 2007, 06:21 PM) *

Indeed.

+Quote Post
Ben N
Sep 25 2007, 08:06 PM
Instructor
play on the clasic guitar if you have it
its good somtime to do it because its alot more easy to play
on the electric after you play on the acoustic or clasic

or maybe its just me smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 25 2007, 08:08 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Sep 25 2007, 07:44 PM) *
Soooo, im still waiting for my replacment amplifier as my new one blew up! Havent been able to practice seriously for days and im worried ill loose my skills sad.gif

Im sorta lost to know what to do with my free time, I thought maybe GMC'ers could give me some sensible suggestions to keep me going!! smile.gif

Play unplugged and make distorted guitar noice with your mouth biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 25 2007, 08:11 PM
Get to da Chopper!
maybe if you invested in a small mini-practise amp. Those small 1 watt marshalls you can carry round. They've probably got more advantages as well as this particular situation. around £20 i think.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 25 2007, 08:25 PM
Lets go fishing!
LOL, wow i didnt expect so many replys. I did actually buy an Orange mini amp but 2 days shredding and thats now hissing and screaching at me rolleyes.gif so has to go back too. I think i may just do what MickeM suggest and start makeing guitar sounds through my mouth!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 25 2007, 11:27 PM
Instructor
You can easily forward the signal out of the pedal to your PC sound card! smile.gif

Don't worry, you won't loose skills. In fact you'll be more willing to play once you get the amp and your practice sessions will be much more productive. Taking some rest is very useful.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 26 2007, 12:47 AM
Lets go fishing!
Thanks pavel, everyone - these words of encouregment mean alot to me! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Sep 26 2007, 05:28 AM
QUOTE (benhowell @ Sep 25 2007, 07:21 PM) *

Work on things you know you need to work on and might not normally-Chord voicings, movable shapes, notes on the fretboard, the possibilities are endess!

-Ben

Great advice Ben. I try to throw in a regular "unplugged" practice session as I find it can show up some small technique problems that aren't always obvious with full amplification.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Asphyxia Feeling
Sep 27 2007, 04:48 PM
Pocket Pod + Headphones!

This post has been edited by Asphyxia Feeling: Sep 27 2007, 04:49 PM

--------------------
What did you learn tonight?
while shouting so loud, you barely joyous, broken thing.
You are a voice that never sings, is what i say.
You are freezing over hell
You are bringing on that end you do so well
and you can only blame yourself, is what is say.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Sep 29 2007, 04:50 AM
QUOTE (Robin @ Sep 25 2007, 06:55 PM) *
Indeed.

I don't practice nearly enough but I do it without my amp most of the time because the amp isn't in the part of the house where I am most of the time. It's another excuse not to practice if I gott ago downstairs and turn it on and plug in, etc before playing anything.

I run scales and some chromatic left-hand exercises without the amp pretty much every time. As a new player, there's a lot of things I can be working on that have no need for amplification. I can work on pinch harmonics if I really want to on the amp, but I still should be working on the strength and agility of my left hand and its coordination with the right...which doesn't need an amp at this point.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 29 2007, 07:58 PM
Instructor
Practicing unpluged is really good.
You need more power to hear what you play and when you plug it after thet,
you're burning all over the fretboard. wink.gif
Acoustic is fine tho.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:46 AM