2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Most Uncomfy Guitar?
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2014, 09:39 AM
GMC:er
I played the mick thompson siggy and it was the most uncomfy guitar I"ve ever touched. sad.gif However, he loves it and I'm sure many people love it smile.gif In this vid, he describes how he likes the big flat surface that encourages you to "pick from the elbow". It just goes to show that it truly does take all kinds and all methods to make the Guitar Universe keep spinning.

What struck me was how far, 180 degrees away from most of what I've learned and what I teach, his approach is to the point that his choice of axe actually reinforces the opposite view. It's a perfect example of TO EACH HIS OWN!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 27 2014, 11:04 AM
Many years ago I remember playing a friends Jackson Kelly, it was pretty much the best Jackson one could buy those years amazing tones but I simply couldn't get used to the body shape. Specially I wasn't comfortable with how my right arm was standing.

Maybe my technique changed over the years but today I feel very comfortable with the Warrior design, haven't played a Kelly since but looking at picktures they look very similar for the right arm positioning.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2014, 05:52 PM
NAILED IT!!! smile.gif

MERTAY you are spot on. I bought a Jackson Kelly as I thought they just looked mean as hell. Sadly. Could never get used to how they make your right arm sit way out. Also, very unbalanced guitar. The neck wants to dip if you let go of it!! Love how it looked, just couldn't stand using it. Sold it on ebay for $200.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 27 2014, 06:04 AM) *
Many years ago I remember playing a friends Jackson Kelly, it was pretty much the best Jackson one could buy those years amazing tones but I simply couldn't get used to the body shape. Specially I wasn't comfortable with how my right arm was standing.

Maybe my technique changed over the years but today I feel very comfortable with the Warrior design, haven't played a Kelly since but looking at picktures they look very similar for the right arm positioning.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 27 2014, 09:31 PM
hehehe good to know I'm not alone, when playing such an expensive guitar and not feeling comfortable one gets very confused biggrin.gif no wonder Marty Friedman (and Tom Cruise) are the only famous people playing them biggrin.gif

They aren't popular I guess these days but take a shot on the warrior design if you ever run by one, they feel oddly comfortable to me (balance is perfect).

Though pointy guitars aren't home friendly at all, they are famous for bumped tips and hard to find a non-cosmetically problematic on used market.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 27 2014, 09:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2014, 11:23 PM
I've always wanted try one of those! I'll kep an eye out for a WARRIOR smile.gif

As for pointy guitars, the RAZORBACK is oddly enough, the MOST comfy guitar I"ve ever touched. It sits perfectly
due to it's shape and it's well balanced. I really like it's shape better than most any other I"ve played.
Attached Image

QUOTE (Mertay @ Aug 27 2014, 04:31 PM) *
hehehe good to know I'm not alone, when playing such an expensive guitar and not feeling comfortable one gets very confused biggrin.gif no wonder Marty Friedman (and Tom Cruise) are the only famous people playing them biggrin.gif

They aren't popular I guess these days but take a shot on the warrior design if you ever run by one, they feel oddly comfortable to me (balance is perfect).

Though pointy guitars aren't home friendly at all, they are famous for bumped tips and hard to find a non-cosmetically problematic on used market.

+Quote Post
pdf64
Aug 30 2014, 12:23 AM
A buddy had a 70's Gibson Firebird (non-reverse) that sounded and (to me) looked really cool, see http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-G...on-Reverse.aspx
3 x P90 pickups!
However, it caused horrible achey shoulder whenever used with a strap.
Even though non-reverse, the headstock just wanted to point down and it got a real drag holding it up.
I hate to think what the reverse type was like, as the balance must be even worse.
He got rid of it a while ago.
Pete

This post has been edited by pdf64: Aug 30 2014, 12:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 30 2014, 12:40 AM
First time I've seen that shape, I guess someone someday saw a melted candy... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Aug 30 2014, 03:03 AM
Dude the ML series is by far the best feeling guitar. It just sits perfect for me, no feeling that it's going to slide or anything. I can almost fall asleep with it in my lap and it would still be sitting there! cool.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 27 2014, 06:23 PM) *
I've always wanted try one of those! I'll kep an eye out for a WARRIOR smile.gif

As for pointy guitars, the RAZORBACK is oddly enough, the MOST comfy guitar I"ve ever touched. It sits perfectly
due to it's shape and it's well balanced. I really like it's shape better than most any other I"ve played.
Attached Image

I really haven't had a guitar shape that has ever bothered me. Only a guitar that's neck heavy does.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Spock
Aug 30 2014, 08:36 AM
I've never got into the flying V shape personally. I think they look cool, but that top wing feels funny under the picking arm and when sitting down, even though you can harness it inside your thighs, the neck is too small.

I purchased a cheap acoustic Dean V guitar, owned it for about a week then gave it away.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 30 2014, 09:55 AM
Instructor
I am more of a classical shape fan, though I started out on a pointy guitar - a copy of a Jackson Randy Rhoads axe and then slowly I moved towards Les Paul/Strat shapes.

Todd's right tho - each guy ar gal feels comfy on a certain guitar body type and we shouldn't judge anything that is different from what we prefer wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 30 2014, 03:16 PM
Same here smile.gif The neck angle, when sitting in classical position is perfect. I wish my RG guitars sat the same way. But as mentioned, the long pointed ends do tend to bump on things unless your really carefully. With the RG shape, it rarely hits anything. I like the razorback standing as well as the angle of the neck sits perfectly even standing up.

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Aug 29 2014, 10:03 PM) *
Dude the ML series is by far the best feeling guitar. It just sits perfect for me, no feeling that it's going to slide or anything. I can almost fall asleep with it in my lap and it would still be sitting there! cool.gif

I really haven't had a guitar shape that has ever bothered me. Only a guitar that's neck heavy does.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 31 2014, 07:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 30 2014, 02:16 PM) *
Same here smile.gif The neck angle, when sitting in classical position is perfect. I wish my RG guitars sat the same way. But as mentioned, the long pointed ends do tend to bump on things unless your really carefully. With the RG shape, it rarely hits anything. I like the razorback standing as well as the angle of the neck sits perfectly even standing up.

Todd, this just struck me as I was reading your post about the RG pointy headstock - how do you clip on your phone support when shooting neck videos with the RG? I know you did that several times. I tried it with the JEM as I want to prepare a movie for selling it and I didn't quite find any suitable spot to cling the GoPro on it.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 31 2014, 06:22 PM
On the IBBY, the best spot seems to be the logo area. However, if that clips fails you can always try a different clip. I found a very handy clip on ebay for pretty cheap. These are about $6 with free shipping smile.gif Contact the vendor to see if they do international, if not, I'm sure you can find a vendor who does.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fast-Release-Plate...=item1c41a495ee

Attached Image

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 31 2014, 02:53 AM) *
Todd, this just struck me as I was reading your post about the RG pointy headstock - how do you clip on your phone support when shooting neck videos with the RG? I know you did that several times. I tried it with the JEM as I want to prepare a movie for selling it and I didn't quite find any suitable spot to cling the GoPro on it.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 1 2014, 11:24 AM
Instructor
Hey Todd! Thank you, man smile.gif But in the mean time, I already bought this one:

It's amazing to work with although it places a little too much weight on the headstock and I am fairly shying away from being too violent when playing live with it attached as I am afraid it will fly away and shatter the poor GoPro.

I'm having a gig at a big festival this Friday and I'll take it up on stage to film all the songs hopefully and of course, I will share things about my experience with you guys.

I already experimented with it for the Blues Rock Collab and my take will be surely made with it smile.gif It films INCREDIBLY great in very low lighting conditions - out of what I know, this was one of the big pluses on this GoPro Black Edition 3+, that being the fact that it can deliver great quality in low lit stage conditions, thus making it a very handy tool for musicians.

I find it FAR more suitable for my purposes in comparison to the DSLR so far smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 1 2014, 10:40 PM
So much the better!! Thats a MUCH nicer unit smile.gif The GO PRO is a great piece of kit. And it's far more handy in many situations for guitar folks like us than a DSLR. Simple, quick, light, great footage, spiff smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 1 2014, 06:24 AM) *
Hey Todd! Thank you, man smile.gif But in the mean time, I already bought this one:

It's amazing to work with although it places a little too much weight on the headstock and I am fairly shying away from being too violent when playing live with it attached as I am afraid it will fly away and shatter the poor GoPro.

I'm having a gig at a big festival this Friday and I'll take it up on stage to film all the songs hopefully and of course, I will share things about my experience with you guys.

I already experimented with it for the Blues Rock Collab and my take will be surely made with it smile.gif It films INCREDIBLY great in very low lighting conditions - out of what I know, this was one of the big pluses on this GoPro Black Edition 3+, that being the fact that it can deliver great quality in low lit stage conditions, thus making it a very handy tool for musicians.

I find it FAR more suitable for my purposes in comparison to the DSLR so far smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2014, 06:24 AM
Instructor
Hehe it can also film in slow motion biggrin.gif Imagine the ease with which you can deliver a slowed down video for anything you want to explain. You simply change the settings and there ya go. This video explains the various filming modes of a GoPro:

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 2 2014, 07:17 AM
Does this latest version work as a web cam? Thats the one thing that's kept me off so far sad.gif Not being able to connect it for things like video chats and such. I was glad to see they are including a remote now!! Does it do optical zoom? or is it still digital zoom? Those two things are what let me to get an HD cam that connected via firewire for guitar stuff. But It's certainly no good for mounting on a guitar smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 2 2014, 01:24 AM) *
Hehe it can also film in slow motion biggrin.gif Imagine the ease with which you can deliver a slowed down video for anything you want to explain. You simply change the settings and there ya go. This video explains the various filming modes of a GoPro:

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 2 2014, 10:13 AM
Instructor
Hey Todd smile.gif Got one down:

and here's a review that I found in which you can read all the important stuff, but out of what I read, there is no optical zoom:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/15904-go...n-camera-review

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Sep 2 2014, 10:14 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 2 2014, 04:03 PM
Sadly, it seems using it as a web cam creates a bit of delay as the signal has to travel over wifi. Adding more lag to vid chat sessions is probably not a good idea though sad.gif Still, it's an AWESOME unit. For live/tutorial/gear vids, etc. it's perfect!!

I do hope they make a version that has an optical zoom and usb tether for web cam, but thats probably on the board already for the next version smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 2 2014, 05:13 AM) *
Hey Todd smile.gif Got one down:

and here's a review that I found in which you can read all the important stuff, but out of what I read, there is no optical zoom:

http://www.videomaker.com/article/15904-go...n-camera-review

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 3 2014, 06:41 AM
Instructor
I am also sure that they have thought of fixing these things wink.gif So, let's see what the GoPro Hero 4 has in store for us - I just got the Hero 3 so, I'm pretty much ecstatic with this one!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:06 AM