Choosing A Strat
ShinyHighlander
Jul 28 2008, 08:27 AM
GMC:er
Hi Everyone! I am thinking of buying a strat. Problem is just that there are so many to chose from. So I was hoping you might give me some tip of nice strats that are worth checking out. The price range should be from 1000-2000 dollars. I mostly rock/metal but I´m also into neo classical stuff. Thanks in advance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
ShinyHighlander
Jul 28 2008, 11:53 AM
Very good information Ivan smile.gif I checked around on Fenders web site and I noticed that the american standard series only has single coils while for example the vintage series has two single coils and a humbucker as bridge pickup. But how much does the choice of pickups affect the sound. I understand my question is quite diffucult to answer but i´d like to something like what types of pickups fit for which type of music etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 28 2008, 01:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ShinyHighlander @ Jul 28 2008, 12:53 PM) *
Very good information Ivan smile.gif I checked around on Fenders web site and I noticed that the american standard series only has single coils while for example the vintage series has two single coils and a humbucker as bridge pickup. But how much does the choice of pickups affect the sound. I understand my question is quite diffucult to answer but i´d like to something like what types of pickups fit for which type of music etc.

Actually your question is pretty easy to answer.

Single coil pickups have distinct twangy sound to it, with bell-like harmonics. Good for lot of styles but not very good for anything that has too much distortion. There is a lot of noise on them, and they can't handle distortion too well. I don't say people don't play them at all with a lot of drive, it's just it is hard to achieve a well defined tone.
Humbuckers are way better in that area. But humbucker can't give you that spankin' twangy, bell-like sound. They are more flat, and can handle distortion good, you can hear every note nicely etc.

For your style I recommend buying any strat you like how it sounds. It is the wood, quality of details and the feel on the neck that you should look after. Bare in mind that all new standard strats are ALL drilled down to HSH configurations - EVEN those with SSS combo. This means that you can easily put a regular type humbucker afterwards, you will just have to replace the pickguard that's all.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ShinyHighlander
Jul 28 2008, 04:15 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 28 2008, 02:46 PM) *
Actually your question is pretty easy to answer.

Single coil pickups have distinct twangy sound to it, with bell-like harmonics. Good for lot of styles but not very good for anything that has too much distortion. There is a lot of noise on them, and they can't handle distortion too well. I don't say people don't play them at all with a lot of drive, it's just it is hard to achieve a well defined tone.
Humbuckers are way better in that area. But humbucker can't give you that spankin' twangy, bell-like sound. They are more flat, and can handle distortion good, you can hear every note nicely etc.

For your style I recommend buying any strat you like how it sounds. It is the wood, quality of details and the feel on the neck that you should look after. Bare in mind that all new standard strats are ALL drilled down to HSH configurations - EVEN those with SSS combo. This means that you can easily put a regular type humbucker afterwards, you will just have to replace the pickguard that's all.

I am not sure I understand what HSH and SSS mean? Does HSH mean you have a humbucker as neck pickup, a single coil in the middle and another humbucker at the bridge? And is SSS just three singlecoils?

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jul 28 2008, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (ShinyHighlander @ Jul 28 2008, 04:15 PM) *
I am not sure I understand what HSH and SSS mean? Does HSH mean you have a humbucker as neck pickup, a single coil in the middle and another humbucker at the bridge? And is SSS just three singlecoils?

That's exactly right. Can have other combinations of course also smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- ShinyHighlander   Choosing A Strat   Jul 28 2008, 08:27 AM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   I suppose you wanna buy American Strat.. Here are...   Jul 28 2008, 11:32 AM
- - Rooks   If that text aint in the wiki yet, maybe it should...   Jul 28 2008, 11:37 AM
|- - fkalich   QUOTE (ShinyHighlander @ Jul 28 2008, 05...   Jul 28 2008, 12:16 PM
||- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (ShinyHighlander @ Jul 28 2008, 05...   Jul 28 2008, 08:24 PM
nnn
|- - fkalich   QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 28 2008, 07...   Jul 28 2008, 10:17 PM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 28 2008, 05:17 PM) Y...   Jul 29 2008, 02:43 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - ZakkWylde   For Rock/Metal you'll definitely need a humbuc...   Jul 28 2008, 12:01 PM
- - Fran   QUOTE (Rooks @ Jul 28 2008, 12:37 PM) If ...   Jul 28 2008, 12:15 PM
- - Praetorian   I have a strat that I got on kind of a whim and wa...   Jul 28 2008, 01:07 PM
- - OrganisedConfusion   I'm just about to buy a Fender Stratocaster Ko...   Jul 28 2008, 01:44 PM
- - Gerardo Siere   With $2000 go inmediately for a used Suhr or ...   Jul 28 2008, 06:31 PM
- - ShinyHighlander   The reason why im in to strats all of a sudden is ...   Jul 28 2008, 09:57 PM
|- - ZakkWylde   QUOTE (ShinyHighlander @ Jul 28 2008, 10...   Jul 28 2008, 10:25 PM
nnn
- - black and white   I have an EC signature from the custom shop and it...   Jul 28 2008, 10:05 PM
- - inertia   The deluxe with the S-1 switching make it quite ve...   Jul 28 2008, 11:36 PM
|- - fkalich   QUOTE (inertia @ Jul 28 2008, 05:36 PM) T...   Jul 28 2008, 11:43 PM
|- - inertia   QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 28 2008, 06:43 PM) I...   Jul 29 2008, 06:38 AM
|- - fkalich   QUOTE (inertia @ Jul 29 2008, 12:38 AM) I...   Jul 29 2008, 07:12 AM
|- - inertia   QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 29 2008, 02:12 AM) I...   Jul 29 2008, 05:35 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Ivan Milenkovic   The point of the story is that if a guitar player ...   Jul 29 2008, 04:17 PM
- - kjutte   QUOTE (ShinyHighlander @ Jul 28 2008, 09...   Jul 31 2008, 06:15 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:01 AM