Can't Get Into 'the Zone' Due To Lights
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 7 2016, 12:24 PM
GMC Founder
Here's a problem that's really bugging me.

I play much better with no lights on, or absolute minimum. It makes me stop looking at the fretboard and instead play bit more 'from the heart'.

Now obviously when shooting video, I need lights - lots of lights!

So my best solution so far is to record with shades on, but it still makes it much harder for me to get 'into the zone'.. Any suggestions?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 7 2016, 12:55 PM
GMC:er
Feels like a relaxation related thing. Do you find yourself sitting differently (you back angle etc.) when lights on/off? also do you have a guitar with no fret inlays? just guessing here biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 7 2016, 12:56 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 7 2016, 01:55 PM) *
Feels like a relaxation related thing. Do you find yourself sitting differently (you back angle etc.) when lights on/off? also do you have a guitar with no fret inlays? just guessing here biggrin.gif

For sure relaxation is part of the problem - I relax much better when its dark in the room. All my guitars have fret inlays (at least visible to me).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 7 2016, 01:10 PM
I've always felt inlays make me focus stronger to visuals. Although I feel somewhat have memorised the fretboard by ear, inlay sort of prevent this for me when looking at the guitar.

I checked but couldn't find anything that can hide them, though tree of life stuff atleast for a while might help; http://www.inlaystickers.com/collections/f...rs/tree-of-life

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 7 2016, 01:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Kris, here are some quick solutions:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

and also maybe something like this: http://bgr.com/2015/07/30/canon-night-visi...amera-me20f-sh/

I think that this guy could had a similar issue... tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 7 2016, 02:09 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 7 2016, 02:26 PM) *
Attached Image

How could I not think of this!!?? blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Jan 7 2016, 03:56 PM
Experienced Rock Star

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 7 2016, 09:00 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Jan 7 2016, 04:56 PM) *

Not too bad, def worth testing. Candles do add extra mojo as well! Thanks for the suggestion.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2016, 09:35 PM
I'm the same way! Probably why my vids look dark quite a bit. I'd say maybe try a camera with really good low light performance or if you camera has manual controls open the Iris all the way to let as much light in as possible. If you are already doing all this, then I'm out of tips! smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 7 2016, 06:24 AM) *
Here's a problem that's really bugging me.

I play much better with no lights on, or absolute minimum. It makes me stop looking at the fretboard and instead play bit more 'from the heart'.

Now obviously when shooting video, I need lights - lots of lights!

So my best solution so far is to record with shades on, but it still makes it much harder for me to get 'into the zone'.. Any suggestions?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:12 AM