Micin My Cab
dcz702
Mar 12 2013, 10:20 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
so ive been recording with a mac, maudio profire 610 into logic using amplitube 3. i dont like it to much kind of a pain in the ass tweaking and trying to get a good sound.
i have a good amp that is fun to play through and sounds great i want to always us it for practice and recording, its a mesa boogie mini rec and im running it through a 212 rec cab. i want to get a decent mic and mic it. runnin through a 212 i dont really turn the volume past 4-5 oclock do you think im going to get a decent sound if i mic it at that volume for recording, im also recording in a small room with no audio treatment and the cab sits on the floor and i noticed since its on the floor i have a great amount of bass that i dont think i would get if i threw the cab on casters

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by dcz702: Mar 12 2013, 10:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 12 2013, 11:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Mar 12 2013, 10:20 PM) *
so ive been recording with a mac, maudio profire 610 into logic using amplitube 3. i dont like it to much kind of a pain in the ass tweaking and trying to get a good sound.
i have a good amp that is fun to play through and sounds great i want to always us it for practice and recording, its a mesa boogie mini rec and im running it through a 212 rec cab. i want to get a decent mic and mic it. runnin through a 212 i dont really turn the volume past 4-5 oclock do you think im going to get a decent sound if i mic it at that volume for recording, im also recording in a small room with no audio treatment and the cab sits on the floor and i noticed since its on the floor i have a great amount of bass that i dont think i would get if i threw the cab on casters

you can never go wrong miking it with a shure 57, about one hundred dollars

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
dcz702
Mar 13 2013, 12:07 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Mar 12 2013, 10:24 PM) *
you can never go wrong miking it with a shure 57, about one hundred dollars

thanks man good reviews on that mic ill check it out
smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 13 2013, 03:08 AM
GMC:er
You pretty much summed it up smile.gif Getting a good tone with software is a bit of an ORDEAL at first. Until you get used to how each package behaves, and how it's bit in it sounds and interacts, it can feel like your twisting software dials enldlessly for no result.

I've got some AMPLITUDE patches in my Personal Forum which may give you a bit of a head start smile.gif But for home recording with an AMP, the good news there is all you need is the amp and a mic an the interface. So you are set smile.gif For starters just grab the mic (SM57 or really any mic you have) and stuck it in the dead center of the cone. Close to the grill as you can. As you get used to it, move it around for new tones.

Amplitude, is a fine package, but I liked AMPLITUDE METAL a bit better just due to how many high gain amps / fx came bundled. But you can turn AMPLITUDE in to any IK package by adding bits on from the store.

Once I discovered OVERLOUD TH1 and TH2 I pretty much stopped using AMPLITUDE entirely. The difference was pretty astounding to my ears and even the stock presets sounded good. Give them a shot overloud.com

also, I was a HUGE fan of GUITAR RIG and made wads of presets. Having a decent preset is helpful to build on. Of all the packages, only overloud had any stock presets that I actually kept and built sounds around. Here is the link to my patches smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...&hl=presets

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Mar 12 2013, 05:20 PM) *

+Quote Post
dcz702
Mar 13 2013, 03:33 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 13 2013, 02:08 AM) *
You pretty much summed it up smile.gif Getting a good tone with software is a bit of an ORDEAL at first. Until you get used to how each package behaves, and how it's bit in it sounds and interacts, it can feel like your twisting software dials enldlessly for no result.

I've got some AMPLITUDE patches in my Personal Forum which may give you a bit of a head start smile.gif But for home recording with an AMP, the good news there is all you need is the amp and a mic an the interface. So you are set smile.gif For starters just grab the mic (SM57 or really any mic you have) and stuck it in the dead center of the cone. Close to the grill as you can. As you get used to it, move it around for new tones.

Amplitude, is a fine package, but I liked AMPLITUDE METAL a bit better just due to how many high gain amps / fx came bundled. But you can turn AMPLITUDE in to any IK package by adding bits on from the store.

Once I discovered OVERLOUD TH1 and TH2 I pretty much stopped using AMPLITUDE entirely. The difference was pretty astounding to my ears and even the stock presets sounded good. Give them a shot overloud.com

also, I was a HUGE fan of GUITAR RIG and made wads of presets. Having a decent preset is helpful to build on. Of all the packages, only overloud had any stock presets that I actually kept and built sounds around. Here is the link to my patches smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...&hl=presets

Thanks Todd I will try your presets

+Quote Post
Mattfig
Mar 16 2013, 12:53 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Mar 13 2013, 02:33 AM) *
Thanks Todd I will try your presets

I also think that the Sennhesier E609 or E906 is a great choice and more forgiving in placement than the SM57..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 08:33 AM