2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Do The Copies Destroy A Style?
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 28 2008, 01:53 PM
Instructor
The I look at it, musicians shouldn't have the small town complex and limit their selves to the extremes of originality, even if it sounds bad. It is perfectly normal to have influences, and if a band has many influences from many different genres, it can be pretty interesting. Copies usually start off when one band is influenced mainly by the music of one band and they sound alike. So the balance must be found between originality and a wide range of influences.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 28 2008, 02:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 28 2008, 09:43 AM) *
I love grunge music over any other genre. Copies didn't kill the genre. The fact that 2 of the main grunge frontmen are dead didn't help sad.gif The 5 main grunge bands were Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney and Alice In Chains. These were inspired by bands like Sonic Youth, Melvins and the The Pixies and bands that were in the grunge bracket include Tad, Mother Love Bone, Green River, Temple of the Dog, Mad Season etc and then you have the modern day copies like Nickleback and Puddle of Mudd who claim to be grunge but they really aren't. Grunge was all about not following a standard. If you wanted to wear scrappy clothes and be famous you could. They didn't change their image to be big. They just wrote music that was astounding in quality. And it all started with Mudhoney's Touch Me I'm Sick. You can't beat grunge in my opinion and PearlJam are still going strong and STP have reformed for gigs so it is all good smile.gif Just need Soundgarden back now biggrin.gif

You have many Grunge info! I think that many people that likes grunge don't know where it came from and bands like Tad (that did gigs with Nirvana in the beginings), Mothere Love Bone, Green River and even Temple of the dog. It would be great if you make some new forums for each of this bands or just a forums called Grunge origins with links to all those bands. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 28 2008, 05:28 PM
GMC:er
@ Organized Confusion

What about Dinosaur Jr.? They played a major role in grunge music back in mid 80's. You're Living All Over Me, imo, is the first grunge album to be released. Yes, although they are labeled as Alternative Rock, they still pioneered a sound that is distinct to Nirvana.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Mar 28 2008, 10:23 PM
GMC:er
In my opinion, yes. The copies do destroy a style. Just look at post rock, a great music genre, but now it feels like every band sounds exactly the same as the others (with a few exceptions), and I have really lost all my will to find new post rock bands because of that, I know that it'll just be another copy. I still enjoy the bands I do listen to (even the copies), but it makes you loose faith in a genre. Just my view smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 29 2008, 01:59 AM
Instructor
I respect bands like The Mars Volta. They are very influenced by 70's rock bands like MC5 and Led Zeppelin and also progresive bands but they created their own style. I hear them and I feel like it is the music of the future. But it also sounds like a combination past decades music styles.

@VinceG
It's said that the Dinosaur Jr guitar player has been the best grunge guitar player. They have been another important band in the beginings. I think that The Melvins has been important too. Have you seen the film Punk Attitude? It will take you to the New York Dolls, the Stooges, Television,... the real begining of all. smile.gif I saw it in the indie film festival and I really enjoy it.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:57 AM