Les Paul... My Own Custom One... Need Advice, ...
muntahunta
Sep 15 2007, 01:01 AM
Learning Roadie
im currently thinking about making my own les paul type guitar.
im thinking of getting the body already made (without routing and such, just the basic shape) then routing the thing to hold 2 humbuckers (probably EMG's or seymore duncan alnico's) and doing all that stuff... but im totally stuck when choosing what type of wood i want. i have a choice of the following...

maple, mahogany, swamp ash, walnut, koa, korina andzebrawood

i want it to be heavy, i really like the weight of my current lespaul.
i also want as much sustain as possible and im not sure if the body contributes to that... basically i want the best i can from it. money isnt really an option but i really need some advice for this.

Thanks
Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Goliath
Sep 15 2007, 03:45 AM
GMC:er
Have you given thought to what finish? I mean Mahogany is pretty heavy but on a clearcoat/burst finish, it probably won't look too great, but if you were to get a quilted maple or swamp ash top (i love the way swamp ash looks). I mean I don't know too terribly much about it, just want to raise the issue that you might want to consider the finish when you pick your wood as well.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
bart m
Sep 15 2007, 04:35 AM
I don't really have an answer for you...but i thought i would provide a link for you to a guy who builds custom guitars that lives in my town.

http://www.pwogs.com/Custom/Les%20Paul/59lp.htm

it is his pictoral journey of making a Les Paul from scratch...enjoy looking.

+Quote Post
Understudy
Sep 15 2007, 10:24 AM
My Carvin is Koa wood with a tung oil finish. All I do is recoat it with tung oil 1 time a year and then once per month I oil it with lemon oil. Very easy to maintain, oil it let the wood absorb the oil, wipe clean. Kao has a great warm tone with great sustain. I really love the grain on the Koa also, after oiled it has very small grain lines that almost have a yellowish-orange hue, and as it is a dense wood it is fairly heavy but won't drag you to the floor either smile.gif

Muris just finished his custom, I'm sure he would great advise for you

This post has been edited by Understudy: Sep 15 2007, 10:26 AM

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
Nick325
Sep 15 2007, 10:58 AM
http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/details.asp?ProductID=LC-10

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 15 2007, 07:31 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Goliath @ Sep 14 2007, 08:45 PM) *
Have you given thought to what finish? I mean Mahogany is pretty heavy but on a clearcoat/burst finish, it probably won't look too great, but if you were to get a quilted maple or swamp ash top (i love the way swamp ash looks). I mean I don't know too terribly much about it, just want to raise the issue that you might want to consider the finish when you pick your wood as well.

+1 and to my knowledge a lot of LPs have a maple cap on the top. Both my Gibson LP and my custom have flamed tiger striped maple caps over mahogany bodies. I think some SGs and Gordon Smith guitars have mahogany bodies and no cap.

Mahogany I think will give increased sustain over some other woods but it also is quite a mid-range type sound to my ears. Also some people say that neckthru will increase sustain compared with bolt on.

Another thing to think about is the finger board. Personally I prefer ebony as I prefer the feel and find it has a quicker, slightly percusive sound when compared to rosewood. I'm ignoring a maple neck as to me that would be at odds with an LP type vibe smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:07 PM