4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Monkeydathos Bootcamp, Hamburger Hill Will Look Like A Vacation By Comparison!
Todd Simpson
Aug 2 2018, 09:36 PM
GMC:er
Here are the best 10 video editing apps for android.https://fossbytes.com/best-android-video-editor-apps/

On to the Missions!!

QUESTION: Are you playing with the metronome when you record? I ask because the second mission sounds like the metronome was added later as your playing doesn't seem connected to it? I had a submission once where someone added the Metronome in post production which sorta misses the entire point of playing with a metronome. The metronome is there so that one can count the clicks and play along and be "in time". Adding it later defeats the purpose. If it wasn't added later, then the second Mission may be being played a bit above your level as it is disconnected from the time being clicked by the metronome. It's played well! Just not connected at all to the clicks. Anyhoo!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*PICKING PRECISION: Very solid picking work here. Strikes are clean and precise. Eve on the second mission, the picking is quite good.
*MUTING IS ON POINT: Without a good mute, both of these get really noisey. You have a very firm control over the palm mute which is great!!
*AGGRESSION: The second mission has a very aggressive style indeed.

The only problem is that the second one sounds like it's recorded without a metronome and the clicks were added later. Let me know whats going on there. If you were trying to play with the clicks, you may need to slow down in the next mission to be closer to the click track. Given how well you played the bit, I see no need to have you do it again. Move on to the next mission and just make sure to play with the click and if you lose track, just slow down a pinch smile.gif You just ... LEVELED UP!!!
Onward!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 2 2018, 03:39 PM) *
I've been really on the downside mellow.gif this past 2 weeks.
Still recovering, but I feel I can only go up to 70% of current abilities.

Still I decided to try and do some stuff today.
Edit: sorry managed to screw up the video again... Do you know of any software that allows you to edit it and fix it on your android.
Rather than having to re do videos.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 2 2018, 09:53 PM
The metronome sound was coming out of my smartphone as I hit record. There isn't any post production.

I do agree i derailed in the second mission.
On that type of static pedal riff especially on higher tempos I tend to lose sight where the 1 beat lands. So I was kind trying to figure by ear rather than actually count it.

Is Something I'll have to keep practicing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Aug 2 2018, 09:55 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 3 2018, 05:24 PM
You played both quite well. The second one you really burned it up!! It was played very evenly, just not connected to the click is all. But it was played very well so you PASS!!! I'd say just keep an ear on the click in the next mission if you play it brisk. Plenty good enough though. You clearly can play both of those bits. Time for the next one!!

Todd

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 2 2018, 04:53 PM) *
The metronome sound was coming out of my smartphone as I hit record. There isn't any post production.

I do agree i derailed in the second mission.
On that type of static pedal riff especially on higher tempos I tend to lose sight where the 1 beat lands. So I was kind trying to figure by ear rather than actually count it.

Is Something I'll have to keep practicing.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 2 2018, 09:28 PM
Yo Todd.
Just a little update.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to play guitar for the past 3 weeks, even my studies of music theory and leaning some jazz tunes have been on a halt.
Mainly due to my current job. From climbing trees and ladders all day to carrying dozens of fruit baskets, my fingers, well my hands have become big callus, they feel hella clunky. Plus at 6 am I am already working and when I get home all I want is to rest. tongue.gif
Picked up the guitar today and damn my abilities are like 40% of what they sure to be.

I am near the end though just 2 more weeks of grinding!
Then I will update some missions. And hopefully even bring a new Axe. cool.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Sep 2 2018, 09:29 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 3 2018, 09:56 PM
Sounds Rugged soldier!! I hope it's over so quickly that you don't even notice it go by! It does sound really rough. Life can certainly get in the way. It will all be worth it when you are sporting a new spiff axe!! Look forward to seeing on the field of Battle again Soldier!!!
Sarge
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Sep 2 2018, 04:28 PM) *
Yo Todd.
Just a little update.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to play guitar for the past 3 weeks, even my studies of music theory and leaning some jazz tunes have been on a halt.
Mainly due to my current job. From climbing trees and ladders all day to carrying dozens of fruit baskets, my fingers, well my hands have become big callus, they feel hella clunky. Plus at 6 am I am already working and when I get home all I want is to rest. tongue.gif
Picked up the guitar today and damn my abilities are like 40% of what they sure to be.

I am near the end though just 2 more weeks of grinding!
Then I will update some missions. And hopefully even bring a new Axe. cool.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 11 2018, 06:20 PM
Managed to sneak a few minutes today.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2018, 01:47 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! This is exactly what I'm looking for in this Mission. You not only play it well, but you shift around the fret board and don't miss a beat. keep this up Soldier!!! You've got a good thing going!!! Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

PICKING PRECISION Your Picking is spot on here. Each strike is clean, no bleed, no bad strikes. This is great technique soldier. SCORE!!

SYNCH TO DIE FOR Hand Synch is Solid as a rock. It's one of the hardest things to get right and it's crucial for what lies ahead. DOUBLE SCORE!!
FRET TRAVERSE Not only did you play the bit well, but you marched it all around the fret board without slipping up once. You've got a very good command of technique going on Soldier!! TRIPLE SCORE!!
In other words you just...
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Keep it up Soldier!!

Sarge

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Oct 11 2018, 01:20 PM) *
Managed to sneak a few minutes today.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 12 2018, 06:15 PM
I think I can bump it up to 130 bpm. But after a few runs tension starts to build up. So I decided to play it at a tempo where I am relaxed and in control.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2018, 06:43 PM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!! I can tell that you have been spending some time on the firing range!! These foundational techniques have to be brought to heel before you can progress to the later Missions and you are doing a great job of getting these techniques under control. That's the real purpose of all of these lessons, to help you gain precision and control so that when you unleash yourself on a guitar solo, you are not held back by a lack of technical ability. You are well on your way! Let's Debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*PRECISION KILLS: These Missions are all about precision. I'm glad that you used the vid where you are keepign everything under control. To gain a few bpm in speed but lose control is no victory. One can only play as briskly as one can play while in full control. It's important to push the edge, to lose control. To go beyond what one is capable of doing to prepare the brain for what's to come. However, for the videos that you turn in as Missions to be Debriefed, it's always best to pick one that shows you in full control of every note as that shows where you really are at the time of the recording. So keep pushing the edge, and keep recording the bits that show you in full command of your Soldiers/Fingers!

*SYNCH OR SWIM: Hand Synch is CRUCIAL in shredding and playing in general. Especially on a lick like this. If you lose synch, the entire thing falls apart and you have to start over. It's very easy to hear if synch gets lost as there is no gap between notes and thus no room to recover. It's like running across the tips of swords. One wrong footing, and it's lost. The good news is you never lost a step.

*ON THE MARCH: Not only did you play the lick with control and precision, you marched it up and down the neck with grace and never missed a beat. Being able to move about on the fretboard is yet another crucial skill that will serve you well going forward.
You have a great momentum building here Soldier, keep it up!!! These technical abilities are a perishable skill, like sword fighting, it's something that needs to be practiced in order to be kept and improved upon. You are more than ready for what's next. You just...
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Oct 12 2018, 01:15 PM) *
I think I can bump it up to 130 bpm. But after a few runs tension starts to build up. So I decided to play it at a tempo where I am relaxed and in control.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 12 2018, 06:43 PM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 25 2018, 07:52 PM
Managed to sneak another few minutes today.

I screw up in the last run tongue.gif
This guitar went through a full setup. The action came bit lower than I am used to. But nothing that practice wont solve

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Oct 25 2018, 07:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2018, 08:51 PM
NICE!!! This is NOT an easy lick. There are plenty of spots that the hand wants to sort of skip or freeze or drag or rush just due to how it's built. You keep the entire thing running lick clock work!!! Let's Debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*GRACE UNDER PRESSURE: You are playing this at full clip. I did not expect this level of precision/speed to be honest. This lick is a bit of a finger twister and folks often have to slow down quite a bit to play it cleanly. You rip in at full gallop and still keep it high and tight. Nice!
*SYNCH OR SWIM: Hand synch is crucial here. If you lose synch, even for one beat, one note, it will stick out like a sore thumb. You'll have to start over. The good news is that you don't miss a single note the entire time. Super Nice!!
*PICKING PRECISION: Precise strikes are critical here. Also, since it's non stop string traverse, there are ample chances to miss a single strike, to hit the wrong string, etc. Nope!!! You have strong, clean strikes the entire time. Triple Nice!!!
This is a capstone lesson in the series to test your hands to see if synch/picking/muting/traverse are all up to speed. Yup!! All of the above are up to snuff and well beyond what I expected!! You have built great momentum, keep it up!!!! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Oct 25 2018, 02:52 PM) *
Managed to sneak another few minutes today.

I screw up in the last run tongue.gif
This guitar went through a full setup. The action came bit lower than I am used to. But nothing that practice wont solve

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 7 2019, 01:04 AM

Hey Todd how have you been.
Unfortunately the head stock of my old trusty epiphone broke.
So I got my hands on a strat (american pro séries)
I ve tried alot of guitars even some fancy high end ibanez AZ and rgs.
But I Kinda fell in love with this neck profile. is super comfy.

Well, time to take some rust off my fingers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 7 2019, 03:40 AM
WELCOME BACK SOLDIER!!! It's great to see you back in the fight!!! Nice Axe!! It looks like you have not lost a thing and in fact have become a better player since your last Mission!! Well done on using the PINKY On these and resisting the urge to use the first three fingers. Also, great mute and overall technique. Let's Debrief!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

LOOPY: I give out a LOT of licks that work as "Looped Licks". Part of what I'm trying to teach you is Playing like a Robot in order to Shred Like a God. Paul Gilbert is a good example of putting loops of a given lick to good use. It's all about being able to play with consistency which you do quite well!

NON STOP TRAVERSE: Second thing I want to see on this Mission is your TRAVERSE skills. As with a few others, this lick traverses strings and frets non stop. Partially to build endurance, partially to get your hands accustomed to playing long sequences of notes. You KILLED IT!!

ARTICULATION: Lastly this is a chance for me to see your pick articulation. I'm looking to make sure you are not picking from the elbow or playing to stiff. You have great articulation here!

You've got this down pat Soldier!! You are ready for what's next!!!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 6 2019, 08:04 PM) *

Hey Todd how have you been.
Unfortunately the head stock of my old trusty epiphone broke.
So I got my hands on a strat (american pro séries)
I ve tried alot of guitars even some fancy high end ibanez AZ and rgs.
But I Kinda fell in love with this neck profile. is super comfy.

Well, time to take some rust off my fingers.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 7 2019, 03:41 AM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 16 2019, 11:34 PM

The hardest part for me with this kind of lick, its not a physical thing but rather hearing the subdivisions. Especialy after 170+bpms.
I ve tried really hard to focus on the first beat at let the Rest fall into place. But I still get lost sometimes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2019, 01:22 AM
I must say I'm impressed Soldier!! I'm just looking to see you have the pattern and picking in a steady fashion. Instead you are not only playing it solid but at full clip as as well. This is NOT an easy one as it traverses down the fret board the entire time. Never stops til the open string, so you have to synch your picking with the left hand movement and move just ahead in time so that you can fret when you need to pick strike. Nice. It's about letting our left hand go ahead and stick the landing so your pick hand is read when needed.

Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

ALT PICK OF DESTINY: The first thing I"m looking at is your alt picking. Alternate Picking is at the core of this lick. Without good alt picking technique, this lick won't work. It's the kind of thing you just cant play with all downstrokes and have it work well. Nice!!
TRAVERSAL OF FORTUNE: Secondly I want to see you traverse your left hand with Non stop fret traverse. You gotta slide a bit to make this work and you slide quite well!!!

PINKY TIME: Last, I wanna see Good use of the pinky here! You never skimp on Pinky Power. Well played.

You kicked the door in Soldier! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 16 2019, 06:34 PM) *

The hardest part for me with this kind of lick, its not a physical thing but rather hearing the subdivisions. Especialy after 170+bpms.
I ve tried really hard to focus on the first beat at let the Rest fall into place. But I still get lost sometimes.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 24 2019, 07:26 PM
Mission 13 reporting in.
I am a bit on the down side Sarge.
Still recoverying from a cold.
But I rather keep a some how weekely upload of missions, than waiting until I am 100% just to do some extra 20 bpms.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 24 2019, 07:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 25 2019, 07:35 AM
I applaud you pushing through the pain Soldier!!!! Sometimes, life tries to get in the way of your progress on the field of Battle. Don't let it!!! You will be glad you pushed through and didn't give in to the forces of chance/sickness/etc. Let's Debrief!!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
*TACTICAL PRECISION: First thing I look for on this is precision. Each strike should be matched to a fretted note. BAM like clockwork. Very well done on pick strikes and fretting. Without a high degree of precision, this lick just falls apart.

*STEADY PACE: Second thing I wanna see if a smooth steady pace. You didn't
rush, didn't lag. Being able to play at a steady pace and not rush the
easy bits and then drag the difficult bits is crucial to being a well
rounded player. Well done!

*QUIET AS DEATH: Lastly I dont' wanna hear string noise on this. It's not easy since this is non stop string traverse. Not a problem here! Silent as the grave!

This lick is crucial. It's called an INVERSION. It's the basis for a
great deal of what you will be doing here in bootcamp. It's complex. It
throws some folks off so bad that they give up right here on this
mission. Not You!!! Despite being under the weather, you pushed
through!!
Well fought Soldier! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

*Congrats Soldier!! This is your first DOUBLE CHEVRON BADGE!!

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 24 2019, 02:26 PM) *
Mission 13 reporting in.
I am a bit on the down side Sarge.
Still recoverying from a cold.
But I rather keep a some how weekely upload of missions, than waiting until I am 100% just to do some extra 20 bpms.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 9 2019, 04:15 AM
Hey Todd, just letting you know that I am taking a quick break.
I've been having some really annoying back and shoulder blade pain.
I think it was probably work related. Since I spend a lot of hours either always standing up or with a bad posture cleaning stuff up.
Gonna check with a doctor and hopefully will be able to return to shredding soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 13 2019, 10:04 PM
A bit rusty and at least for me open string licks are really hard

So far my back pain is way better, its still here but to a less extend.
I feel it more when I am picking on the A string and low É string. I start to crank up some tension. And lock up thr miscles.
As you probably can see in the video towards the end.

Already have a date with an osteopath, but only in january.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 14 2019, 06:11 AM
This is really well played. Nice and clean. It's important to stay loose, even when playing at speed. If you tense up you can actually injure yourself over time. So even when playing fast try to take note of your muscles and force them to relax. Once way to help is to use a bit lighter strike technique. The Zen of Speed Picking smile.gif
Let's Review!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*PICKING-Firstly I want to see clean picking! This is all about single string picking technique. Being able to alternate pick on a single string without getting the pick caught, losing track of the strike pattern, etc. You did a great job on picking this one.

*TIMING-Secondly I wanna see tight timing. If the timing is off at all, it sound very obvious. That's why this lick is structured as it is. The good news is your timing is spot on and you played this very well.

*DIFFERENT STRINGS-Lastly I wanna see smooth traverse. Being able to pull this lick off on different string shows that you can traverse to new strings without losing control of your technique. Well done.
In short, you krushed it!! You just...
LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Dec 13 2019, 05:04 PM) *
A bit rusty and at least for me open string licks are really hard

So far my back pain is way better, its still here but to a less extend.
I feel it more when I am picking on the A string and low É string. I start to crank up some tension. And lock up thr miscles.
As you probably can see in the video towards the end.

Already have a date with an osteopath, but only in january.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:11 PM