Songwriting, what is your approach?
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2011, 02:42 PM
Instructor
How do you guys usually start writing your songs?

For me, it's usually some interesting riff or lead melody, then I build around it. The lead melody is most important tho, if it isn't catchy it's hard to make a strong song. Riff could carry a song, but not as lead melody.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
transmission
Jun 16 2011, 02:56 PM
GMC:er
I completely agree with the lead melody being the most important part because a catchy lead melody sticks in people's head more than the riff on its own. I always get the music down first and then the lyrics come after smile.gif

Some people I know do it the other way around and have success doing so

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2011, 02:57 PM
Instructor
Most of the times I start with a melody over a chord progression and if its a song, I usually start with the chorus.. if I get a chorus that I like, I continue composing the other sections of the song. This is the most common way for me. However I also use other ways... like starting with a riff, or jamming over a drum loop. I don't know why but it's too much easier for me to start composing a song with the acoustic guitar and singing melodies than with the electric guitar in front of the daw... I discovered this some time ago so that's my formula... I go to a strange part of the house and start jamming and singing with the acoustic until I get a melody that I like. Then I go to the studio and record the idea.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 16 2011, 03:16 PM
Instructor
I usually hear something in my head out of nowhere and I record it with my voice - regardless of my location, using my phone. Then, back at home, I transpose it on the guitar and if it still sounds good, I make up a riff or develop a melodic line.

From that point, I usually (85% of the cases I guess) have a chorus and I can start searching around for other parts then smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2011, 05:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 16 2011, 04:16 PM) *
I usually hear something in my head out of nowhere and I record it with my voice - regardless of my location, using my phone. Then, back at home, I transpose it on the guitar and if it still sounds good, I make up a riff or develop a melodic line.

From that point, I usually (85% of the cases I guess) have a chorus and I can start searching around for other parts then smile.gif

That's a good approach, I've been doing that recording voice as well, it's a nice way to record something catchy that starts circling around in the head smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
transmission
Jun 17 2011, 12:10 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 16 2011, 03:16 PM) *

laugh.gif I thought I was the only one that did this. I also sometimes out of nowhere get a melody or a tune in my head that I like and I record it on my phone by voice although when your in a public place and people are staring at you it can be quite awkward laugh.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 17 2011, 12:35 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Hit record and play. I have like 20 minute recordings of me just playing, no backing track or anything - just messing around. I go back and have a listen, catch a few cool ideas I hear, work em out, and somehow songs come out of them.

I just play, when writing the structure though, I usually try to get a solid set of riffs going, ideas for different parts for vocals and such, and then arrange them around and see what sounds most interesting.

+Quote Post
moleman
Jun 17 2011, 01:36 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 16 2011, 11:35 PM) *
Hit record and play. I have like 20 minute recordings of me just playing, no backing track or anything - just messing around. I go back and have a listen, catch a few cool ideas I hear, work em out, and somehow songs come out of them.

This is very interesting.

Do you guys all hear the music in your heads first? I think I hear drums in my head. Is that weird?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:02 AM