11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >  
Potsau's Bootcamp, Two man enter, one man leaves!
Todd Simpson
Oct 8 2020, 11:06 PM
GMC:er
9s are good strings for playing lead stuff. It's just a matter of getting your pick hand used to both picking and relaxing and keeping a light mute all at the same time. It's usually easier at slower speeds. Speeding up takes twice the amount of effort to keep the mute hand from tensing/choking. You are making great progress Soldier!! keep it up!!

Sarge
QUOTE (Potsau @ Oct 6 2020, 06:33 PM) *
Greeeaaat

Yeah i had a load of problems to not choking. I cant control the discant high strings. Mabey I try thicker Strings. The 1st string is now at 9.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Potsau
Oct 9 2020, 10:27 AM

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2020, 08:26 PM
Solid work Soldier!!!! There are a couple of small issues worth looking at though. I've listened closely and I can't tell if there is a noise gate in there clamping down a bit to hard or if your palm mute may be a pinch to strong and choking off the last resonance of a few notes as they are being muted, or if it's a bit of both. Let me know if you are using a gate here? Also, there is a bad note at the very end which sounds unintentional. The good news is that you are playing evenly and smoothly and have put a LOT of techniques together in one bit of play. There is a LOT to wrangle on this lick, which seems simple enough at first, until one starts traversing through it while muting smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Potsau @ Oct 9 2020, 05:27 AM) *

+Quote Post
Potsau
Oct 9 2020, 10:13 PM
Certain Times I try the evertune. But even with low tension string, the string tension is very high. Mabey caused by the evertung mechanics. Im not that good at that guitar. Cant place the palm right on the brigde. My sound preset is the same as on the other guitars

Dont know whats up with the last note 😂. Did it died on the way out of the guitar?

This post has been edited by Potsau: Oct 9 2020, 10:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 10 2020, 12:10 AM
I've heard from a few folks that the evertune feels tight to them. The only way I can think of to fight that would be to use light gauge strings like the YNGWIE .08 custom sets. I use those on my guitars and just add a low B from a .009 seven string set to my 7 string guitar. Also, I have read several times that palm muting can be tricky on an evertune compared to a floyd. Then again some folks have told that they have trouble palm muting on a floyd system. is that guitar in the video equipped with an evertune? I've never had one on a guitar as I've always used floyd rose style trems. a LOT of touring players use evertune systems these days. Can be a real life saver on the road!!

Are you using a noise gate in the last video? It almost sounds like the ending of the notes is being clipped off. It could just be because of palm muting on the ever tune if one is installed and it's making things harder. You are learning to pick and mute at the same time which is tricky no matter What, maybe switch back to the Purpe ibby and give it a go?

Onward!
Sarge

quote name='Potsau' date='Oct 9 2020, 05:13 PM' post='780957']
Certain Times I try the evertune. But even with low tension string, the string tension is very high. Mabey caused by the evertung mechanics. Im not that good at that guitar. Cant place the palm right on the brigde. My sound preset is the same as on the other guitars

Dont know whats up with the last note 😂. Did it died on the way out of the guitar?
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Potsau
Jun 17 2021, 04:26 PM

Ok 🏹

--------------------

+Quote Post
Potsau
Jun 17 2021, 10:50 PM
Oh yeah its been about 8 months, since last vid. 😅
I was clarifying my mind. Hard times though

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 18 2021, 03:53 AM
Great to hear from you Soldier!!! I watched both vids and you've got this one. There is a pinch of string noise in the second one but not enough to keep you from badging up. In like the metronome in the first one as it shows you can lock to the beat, but it works without in in the second as it allows you more freedom to show slow and faster speeds. Congratulations soldier!!!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge
QUOTE (Potsau @ Jun 17 2021, 05:50 PM) *
Oh yeah its been about 8 months, since last vid. 😅
I was clarifying my mind. Hard times though

+Quote Post
Potsau
Jun 21 2021, 07:25 PM

Great

nexts up, with apron of destiny

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 22 2021, 06:26 AM
Well Fought!! This is a great shred lick. You do a very good job on your picking and your muting here. You've worked your way up to this point through the sweat of your brow and you've earned it! This is the type of lick that can show you how far you've come. This lick is a great way to work on your picking, it's also a great way to work on your speed when without picking! For fun, try this lick with as few pick strikes as possible (not as a mission, just as a practice) and see how much of it you can can get away with hammering on and pulling off. It's much easier to play when you don't have to pick every note and you'll probably find that there is a lot more speed in your fretting hand that can be unlocked.

As for this one it's sorted and you are ready to move on!! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Potsau @ Jun 21 2021, 02:25 PM) *

Great

nexts up, with apron of destiny

+Quote Post
Potsau
Jun 22 2021, 08:35 AM
Right I did it as a legato lick for fun and the tempo was huge.
Make yourself ready for the apron. Its coming for your soulsucking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 23 2021, 07:09 AM
Cool trick eh? Yeah, once you get the fingers moving, reducing the amount of picking can unlock HUGE speed gains!!! Its' what I often do when writing guitar solos. Try it with all of the bootcamp licks!! Give it a go full picking if it's a picking lick, then go as little picking and as much legato as humanly possible!!!

The big key here is PALM MUTING. If you keep a strong mute, it will sound almost like a pick strike even through it's just a hammered on note. For example. Here is one strike per string, hitting an open string and 3 hammer on notes per string. So I'm getting four notes per string from one pick strike!! The hard mute makes it percussive sounding almost like a ghost strike. Give it a listen.

QUOTE (Potsau @ Jun 22 2021, 03:35 AM) *
Right I did it as a legato lick for fun and the tempo was huge.
Make yourself ready for the apron. Its coming for your soulsucking.

+Quote Post
Potsau
Jun 24 2021, 12:50 PM

I know what you saying, I used to play too much legato, I try to get away of this. My biggest Problem is an ascending strike while its going downward traversing. In recent times I played legato or downward pickslanting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2021, 05:42 AM
In general I always use a down stroke with ascending strings. Econ picking is a great way to take advantage of the direction the hand is already going. So I usually ascend with econ picking. Onward!

Very well done on these soldier. This first lick is one of my faves. It's in A blues. so any solo that you are creating that is in the key of A minor or A blues and it will work great. The best part is that you get three notes for every one pick strike. This one is very similar to the speed cheat lick. With a solid palm mute it can sound like all the notes are being picked. The harder you mute, the more percussive it will sound. Well played!\

The second one is easily the most useful lick I've ever learned. It lets you bar two strings and leverage alternate picking to make it sound like one is playing far faster than is actually happening. Part of shredding is being able to leverage all of one technique, muting, picking, to give the impression that what is being played is actually far faster and far trickier than is being done. So if one is playing at 80 BPM it can sound like 120 BPM. This has some very tricky picking in it that is easy to get wrong and you got it right!!!

You are making great progress Soldier! You are on a roll and you have some great momentum going. keep it up!!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
sarge

QUOTE (Potsau @ Jun 24 2021, 07:50 AM) *

I know what you saying, I used to play too much legato, I try to get away of this. My biggest Problem is an ascending strike while its going downward traversing. In recent times I played legato or downward pickslanting.

+Quote Post
Potsau
Jul 8 2021, 11:48 AM

Nexts up

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 8 2021, 04:46 PM
Well fought Soldier!! These licks are all very handy for solo work. Each one is one of my fave pentatonic series licks. You are playing well here and keeping a solid mute, good hand synch and even pacing. These licks are probably similar to licks you may already know and already be using in solo work. If not, get over to youtube asap and look for a backing in the key of E. Try these licks over the backing to see if you can make them work in a musical context. Also, if you have not done so already, join the latest GMC collab and put these chops to use!!! Here is a link to the collab.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=62153&hl=

You did well on the crazy pinky stretch in the first lick as well Soldier!! You clearly have these in hand so it's time to push forward and declare your next victory!!!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!1
Sarge

QUOTE (Potsau @ Jul 8 2021, 06:48 AM) *

Nexts up

+Quote Post
Potsau
Jul 8 2021, 07:59 PM
Great to hear. Next will be challenging.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 8 2021, 10:01 PM
These three Missions together are all about solo work. It's taking all the drills we've done and using it in music. You are ready for the challenge Soldier!! Just keep in mind that these are less about precision than they are about musicality. If you need to change the lick, modify it, change the speed, etc. Feel free. the goal here is to just insert a few licks against a backing. For example if you were playing in a band and learning someone else solo so that you could play that bands big hit, you might learn the solo note for note, but you also might change it a bit to make it your own. Same thing goes here smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (Potsau @ Jul 8 2021, 02:59 PM) *

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 11 2021, 12:18 AM
Let me know if I can help in any way soldier!! Also, you can do a quick cell phone vid just using the mic in the video to make it easy to record if you want to d a test session for some feedback!! smile.gif

sarge
QUOTE (Potsau @ Jul 8 2021, 02:59 PM) *

+Quote Post
Potsau
Feb 7 2022, 07:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:55 PM