I Made A Gameboy Game
yoncopin
Aug 11 2017, 01:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
My parent’s found an old Gameboy in a drawer and sent it to me for Father’s Day. The Gameboy was my first real video game system and I got one when it was first released in 1989. I was very inspired to revisit my old friend, but adult me was more interested in figuring how it worked and wanted to see if I could make something for it.

So, I did a lot of reading and tinkering and decided to make a game cartridge for my Dad’s upcoming birthday and send that Gameboy right back to them. The result is Steel Horse, which is more tech demo than game, and is based on my Dad’s career as an Air Force helicopter pilot. I was able to code the whole thing in assembly using RGBDS and posted the code to Github here. I also made a replica box for the whole thing to make a for a better present.

The release file on Github can be played in an emulator like BGB or mGBA.

Here are a few images to sum the whole project up.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 11 2017, 06:57 PM
GMC:er
That's awesome gift dude biggrin.gif like really awesome!

I was really into gameboy back in the day, think had all version up to gameboy sp. Which unfortunately my little brother decided to let them outside in the rain. Rip to my dismay.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 11 2017, 11:36 PM
Heheh yeah thats very cool and an original idea for a gift smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 12 2017, 01:04 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks guys, it was a fun project smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2017, 05:38 AM
That is pure awesome! It's also pretty awesome that you learned to code gameboy so quickly!! Super congrats there. He should get a great kick out of if wink.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Roadside
Aug 12 2017, 10:06 AM
Awesome! Just got one in classic grey for my girlfriend as she digged it as well. Now I am playing Pokémon & Mario all day biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Aug 12 2017, 10:38 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
LOL! That is brilliant biggrin.gif what an awesome thing to do.

I never played the Gameboy much but I did like the SNES, still have one and will defeat anyone on super streetfighter II..... jus sayin cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Aug 12 2017, 08:12 PM
Learning Roadie
yes !!! nice

where is my GB emulator ???

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:32 AM