Changing Keys, How to transfer licks
Toroso
Feb 4 2009, 06:20 PM
GMC:er
This may be obvious to some, but this is me asking. tongue.gif

How does one go about transferring a lick from one key to the next, or scale to scale maybe is better?

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Live well, and live often!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Feb 4 2009, 06:23 PM
From one key to the next I think it's just a matter of rising every note a half step.

From one scale to another it will be about using the same pattern, but different intervals.

Hmm... actually tongue.gif I'm not sure. I think some of the pros have better explanations.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 4 2009, 06:24 PM
Instructor
Here's a topic where I've made a large explanation with written examples

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=23427

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Matt23
Feb 4 2009, 06:25 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Very simply you just put every fret in the lick down/up the same number of frets.

+Quote Post
Toroso
Feb 4 2009, 06:32 PM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Feb 4 2009, 12:23 PM) *
Hmm... actually tongue.gif I'm not sure. I think some of the pros have better explanations.

LOL! biggrin.gif That's what happened to me too. Made my head hurt. huh.gif

I guess what I'm asking is, if scales don't have the same notes, what would you use? Intervals? I don't know?

Thanks Ramiro, I'll try to digest that. wink.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Feb 4 2009, 06:51 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well if you're just transposing it then you just move all the notes by teh same number of tones, but if you're changing scale, you need to work out what intervals all the notes are. The work out what notes those intervals would be in the new scale.

+Quote Post
Oxac
Feb 4 2009, 07:32 PM
What I do, is that I find out the intervals for the lick.

Lets say I have a lick in Ionian. It can contain these intervals:

Root - Major Second - Major Third - Perfect Fourth - Perfect Fifth - Major Sixth - Major Seventh.

Then I take that lick and find the root and EVERY interval.

Then I play it in Lydian, the same intervals but I raise the Fourth 1 half step.

Then I play it in Mixolydian, the same intervals as Ionian but I lower the seventh one half step.

Then I do it Dorian style. Same as mixolydian but I lower the third one half step.

Then aeolian - lower the sixth one half step.

Phrygian - same as aeolian but lower the Major second to a minor second (one half step).

Now do locrian, lower the Perfect fifth to a diminished fifth (one half step down).

Now I try to connect them. Play them Ionian Dor... Ph Lyd Mixo Ae and Locrian, slowly. All with the same root, let's say C.

Then you can do it modally up from C, like C ionian, D dorian, etc. All in one box, then do it in every box. Then you could do it with harmonic minor and its modes and melodic minor and its modes.

This is the crazy way, but it's a good one. Because your practising transposing modally. This is a pretty cool thing to do because if you do EVERYTHING I said. When learning your favourite lick, you get 21 good licks that is easy to connect and improvise with. You are also learning notes on the fretboard, intervals, relative pitch hearing (associating sounds relative to the root with intervals).

It takes time though and if you're in a hurry you'll need to jump to the mode you wanna play in right away and skip the other ones.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Feb 4 2009, 08:06 PM
Jazz Instructor
You have to have more or less good ear for that, I mean, it can be done by some theory knowledge, but it is far more amusing and useful to do it your self, figuring it out!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 5 2009, 01:01 AM
Instructor
As Vasilije said, theory and scale knowledge can be of lot of help, but using your ear is what makes it fun as well. Trying to mix and match different licks into different scales, and doing that for some periods of time makes it second nature - just like practicing on a technique. It's skill.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 5 2009, 01:53 AM
Instructor
Simplest way to move everything you play few frets up or down,
depends of keys.
But as you know, you can play same note on few different places on
the fretboard, once you know all the notes on the fretboard
and start thinking in intervals or degrees (spot on Oxac)
transposing is really piece of cake.
And of course use your ear,
actually ear should do most of the work in the beginning,
then you'll gain enough knowledge and routine,
after that you just transpose without much thinking,
it comes natural. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Feb 5 2009, 02:55 AM
Instructor
Great question Toroso smile.gif

First thing I have to say about it is you have to really know your scales well. Thats very strong starting point! Once you know scales, you need to practice connecting them ex going from C dorian to Bb dorian etc Then you have to practice making music with those scales, not just running up and down scales without any melodic purpose !

I will talk about this more in next collaboration but there is definitely a lot of things to work on smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:38 AM