Question, Mechanics related
MattE
Jul 11 2008, 06:45 AM
GMC:er
Hopefully the title was accurate!

Ok, here is my question: I recently stumbled across the Ibanez RG7372 7 string guitar (here), and I really liked what I saw, except for the setup: a fixed bridge with no locking nuts at the top.

Normally this wouldnt bug me, but I really want to be confident that I wont have to constantly watch the tuning of a 7 string, so I was wondering how difficult it would be to do this:

Take the Ibanez RG7372, replace the fixed bridge with a floyd rose or edge pro (which one?) and add a locking nut mechanism to the neck, as well as a string tree.

so basically make -> (this) look like -> (this) without having to fork over all that money up front (this will be a project stretched out over a few months)

Eventually I would probably add a pair of EMGs to it as well :]

How much of a headache would this be?

Also a side note: I highly doubt I would take a saw to the bridge area for the sake of getting that floating trem. effect. I actually would rather the floyd/edge pro sit just like a fixed bridge, except with the locking string control :]

Thanks!
-MattE

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 11 2008, 10:26 AM
Instructor
Actually the tuning will detune a lot quicker WITH a FR, and you will have a lot more hassle to setup, restring it etc, but if you really want it, why not smile.gif

You will definitely have to make some modifications on the wood, so if you're not familiar with woodwork, and luthiering I wouldn't recommend doing it. You could damage the guitar permanently. I would say take the parts and guitar to guitar tech and let him do the job for a 50$

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 11 2008, 10:47 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
+1 If you want a guitar that is easy to handle, has a lot of sustain and doesn't get out of tune, forget about the floyd rose wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 11 2008, 10:50 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (MattE @ Jul 11 2008, 07:45 AM) *
Normally this wouldnt bug me, but I really want to be confident that I wont have to constantly watch the tuning of a 7 string, so I was wondering how difficult it would be to do this:

Like Ivan said, a fixed bridge will hold it's tuning better. If if comes with quality machine heads i.e.

Eventually I would probably add a pair of EMGs to it as well :]

Why not look for a guitar with EMG's and a Floyd Rose (Or Edge for the Ibanez) if that's what your looking for anyway. This guitar with a fixed bridge and IBZ pickups seem so far away as one can get from what you really want.

How much of a headache would this be?

A LOT heahache and also tears!

Also a side note: I highly doubt I would take a saw to the bridge area for the sake of getting that floating trem. effect. I actually would rather the floyd/edge pro sit just like a fixed bridge, except with the locking string control :]

I highly doubt that too since a saw alone for this seem all wrong wink.gif
But, maybe a Kahler hybrid bridge would fix it for you. What you might have to do is to mill out a small caity.. maybe, I don't know.

+Quote Post
MattE
Jul 13 2008, 06:22 PM
GMC:er
Ahh

Sounds like too much of a headache
Fixed bridge it is! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:54 AM