Fear Or What Are You Afraid Of?
Alex Feather
May 12 2012, 06:16 AM
Instructor

FEAR is the most crippling malady for all artists & entrepreneurs. It hastens doubt, prevents change, stalls growth, clouds choices, dams up the creative flow, stops innovation in its tracks, provokes worthwhile partnerships and joint ventures to crash & burn, and causes both talented artists and experienced CEO’s to “flinch” in the face of a timely decision. It also causes many genius artists to hide in their studios and powerful CEO’s to cower in their offices! As I continue to work with artists & entrepreneurs, here’s what I have found to be their biggest fears:

- What if I make the wrong choice? It could cost me everything!
- What if they find out I’m not worthy?
- I don’t want to disappoint my family.
- What if it all falls apart?
- What if I come off looking small and weak—like a loser?
- What if I don’t make it? What if I do?
- What if we lose our sponsors?
- What if I run out of money?
- What if no one cares?
- What if nothing changes?

We’ve been taught that in the face of fear we only have two options: Fight or Flight. Huh? Really? Only two options to combat the big bad fear beast? How about introducing another choice into the mix: “Fact-Check.” The one thing that usually sends fear running for the hills is truth & facts. Once we are privy to factual information in any situation, whether it’s a business proposition or a health challenge, thereafter it’s always a little easier to proceed with intelligent choices and wise decisions. Make sense?

You must know that as I write this I’m talking to myself. That’s why I have these words tattooed backwards on my forehead so that I see them in the mirror every morning: “React to the FACTS not the FEAR.”

What’s your method of dealing with fear?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dieterle
May 12 2012, 08:01 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Good morning Alex! ( in germany i just wake up biggrin.gif )

I like your Opinion about fear !

Fear is first at all a sign that something is not right with myself .
Than sure i must too, find out what is around me.

I have to find it out what are the reasons and roots of THAT .

When i look at it from world and material few it is easier to see the root and then with intelligence go step by step and solve it with the Tools i have got . A bit like playing chess.

( i know my english might not sound right - sorry )

Is it within my Self i have to go the same way - thinking feeling out what are the roots - with intelligence alone there of course is no way out of that !
Fear thats deep in the soul takes quiet longer - we must feel it and live it out .

I must accept who i am right now and accept more and more my deep inner feelings what i mean want to be .

Thats difficult - from daytime on all the life through some one told me what to do and how to be and whats right.
I am programmed - my brain is just a computer with some kind of software.

I have to find out what are my IMMAGINATIONS not what i mean they are , for this i have learn to listen INSIDE ( i say thinking through my heart).
Once this starts to work , i can get INTUITION what is something close to MYSELF .

A great thing would be standing all over that and be myself.

It is never a shame to be afraid it is a sign to take care - wake up do what to do - just a good thing !

NORM is a practically thing - but at the same time a BIG BORDER !

And of course making music biggrin.gif is a very GREAT THING !

Have a GREAT DAY!

Dieter

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 12 2012, 09:39 AM
Instructor
Good thread, Alex smile.gif

As soon as we accept fear as something that is normal in everybody when facing a new or difficult situation, then we can take steps to dealing with it, instead of hiding from it.

When fear occurs, it is usually highlighting something which you need to deal with. Hiding from it in this case would be the worst thing you could do, as you'll always remain in your little circle, inert and unchanging and never growing.

My motto is: If something is making me afraid or nervous, then that is the thing that I should probably be doing ! smile.gif

For example, if someone asked me to take up a challenge that made me feel insecure / like I'm not good enough, then the easiest thing in the world would be to refuse or just ignore it completely. However I would know that I cowered away from an opportunity to grow and achieve more than I thought I was capable of. Therefore I know I have to push through the doubt and do it.

Power, true power.. comes from overcoming the things that once held you back and realising that they were nothing but illusions.

It's easy to say all this and not so easy to do.. but once you're aware of what's going on, you owe it to yourself not to let fear hold you prisoner.

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
May 12 2012, 10:18 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
My fear is that I will never live up to the musical standards I have set for myself. I want to express myself in very many different ways musically, and I fear that I will not have enough time to accomplish all these tasks. I want to play guitar well(and other instruments!), I want to compose symphonies, and I want to compose chorales. I guess I am afraid that I will never be able to do all this.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:58 PM