Darkening The Tone Of An Gibson Standard Faded, what caps?
Xuestor
Feb 22 2009, 06:28 PM
GMC:er
Hey!

I'm gonna try to darkening the sound of my Gibson Les paul standard faded.

I'm gonna switch the pickups from burstbucker pros, to SD alnico II pro. Change the pots to 500k. Change caps.

My questions are: What caps would you think will sound the best? I think I'm gonna try 0.047 or something like that.

And for Pots, do these gibsons use long shaft or shortshaft? My first thought is Longshaft cause of the curved top, but I'm not sure...

Thanks! all help is appreciated!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
tommyboy
Feb 22 2009, 08:33 PM
Gibson's use the long shaft pots. I'd be willing to bet your pots are already 500k as that is what comes standard in all Les Pauls.

Have you tried blending the neck and bridge pickup to darken your sound? Chances are the modifications that your taking won't do what your looking for.

tommyboy

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Xuestor
Feb 22 2009, 09:04 PM
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Feb 22 2009, 08:33 PM) *
Gibson's use the long shaft pots. I'd be willing to bet your pots are already 500k as that is what comes standard in all Les Pauls.

Have you tried blending the neck and bridge pickup to darken your sound? Chances are the modifications that your taking won't do what your looking for.

tommyboy

Thanks for clearing up the pot lengths. The Faded Standards use 300k for volume pots. The alnico II pickups will hopefully give me a little more "laid back" sound than the alnico V. I know much depends on the body/wood, but this might get a little better than before.

--------------------
Gear:
Epi LP with SD SH-2/SD SH-6
Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard VOS Bourbon burst
Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique Vintage Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded Tobacco burst
Fender Stratocaster Antigua with Stan Hinesley Karma/ Stan Hinesley EXP/ Dimarzio Protrack
Jem 7VWH
Fender CD160NT 12-string
Ibanez AW40NT 6-string
Martin 000X1 6-string
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade Head with 2*12 Celestion Vintage 30's Cab

Grammatic Professional auf Schweden

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:47 AM