2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Yngwie Malmsteen, holy%$^#
Ryan
Jun 22 2007, 05:41 PM
GMC:er
Yea music is about who inspires you, but guys come on. I dont know how to put this. We all know that, and it isnt about who can beat who. YNGWIE WINS, but its still fun guys. Break loose a little and dont "be" gay.

P.S. I put the "" there to show, that im not calling anybody names!!

Edit: And also note, that its not an arguement. Its a debate biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ryan: Jun 22 2007, 05:43 PM

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jun 22 2007, 06:08 PM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 22 2007, 06:41 PM) *
Yea music is about who inspires you, but guys come on. I dont know how to put this. We all know that, and it isnt about who can beat who. YNGWIE WINS, but its still fun guys. Break loose a little and dont "be" gay.

ME AGREES biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 22 2007, 06:21 PM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jun 22 2007, 12:08 PM) *
ME AGREES biggrin.gif

Great

psstt Pavel i have a secret to tell you.

YNGWIE IS THE BEST tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Ryan: Jun 22 2007, 06:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jun 22 2007, 07:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 22 2007, 07:21 PM) *
Great
psstt Pavel i have a secret to tell you.
YNGWIE IS THE BEST tongue.gif

NOT!!! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 22 2007, 07:47 PM
lol...this is an interesting fight, i mean topic. Well i prefer Yngwie over Rusty, i like Yngwie's music more, it inspires me alot (althogh im not interested in shredding),i love his neoclassical playing.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
lespaulrocker
Jun 22 2007, 07:56 PM
pavel, you must really hate yngwie tongue.gif, i personally like them both, but they are both different! Both their technique is fawless, but they play different music!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 22 2007, 08:06 PM
GMC Founder
Hehe this kind Yngwie discussion is classic and timeless, here are my two cents...

Pros - original style (at the time, that is), possibly one of the best rock vibratos, inspiring guitarist

Cons - Occasional prick (especially in situations where he seems a little unsure - this is my thesis but I am sure psychatrists can back this up). Also, Yngwie stays, after God knows how many years and albums, very close to his original style - some might consider this a "con".

And - if we are speaking in technical terms (bpm!) Yngwie is beaten over and over again by younger (and older) shredders. This is neither a con nor a pro, of course!

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 22 2007, 08:10 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 22 2007, 01:06 PM) *
Hehe this kind Yngwie discussion is classic and timeless, here are my two cents...

Pros - original style (at the time, that is), possibly one of the best rock vibratos, inspiring guitarist

Cons - Occasional prick (especially in situations where he seems a little unsure - this is my thesis but I am sure psychatrists can back this up). Also, Yngwie stays, after God knows how many years and albums, very close to his original style - some might consider this a "con".

And - if we are speaking in technical terms (bpm!) Yngwie is beaten over and over again by younger (and older) shredders. This is neither a con nor a pro, of course!

well said kris. Although what people say about keeping his style over the years its a good thing for me.

Anyways, here is the Yngwie Malmsteen Regime.

Its a regime that we, guitarists must follow from now on:P tongue.gif biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnSo0Qa_cA0

(really, be sure to check it out, its hilarious)

This post has been edited by FretDancer69: Jun 22 2007, 08:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 22 2007, 08:14 PM
YNGWIE IS AWESOME. He might be a prick, but can anybody here play like him??? Exactly tongue.gif. He still presents us with great music. So he's not a total prick

--------------------

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Jun 22 2007, 09:02 PM
Seems like Yngwie is still dividing opinions - no change there then! He was the first shred guitarist I ever listened to, and I thought he was tremendous when I first heard him. I have to say that my enthusiasm faded after "Odyssey", partly because my own musical tastes had moved on and partly because I felt that Yngwie had stopped pushing musical boundaries. His technique is spectacular, but his music doesn't speak to me anymore.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 22 2007, 09:04 PM
QUOTE (Resurrection @ Jun 22 2007, 03:02 PM) *
Seems like Yngwie is still dividing opinions - no change there then! He was the first shred guitarist I ever listened to, and I thought he was tremendous when I first heard him. I have to say that my enthusiasm faded after "Odyssey", partly because my own musical tastes had moved on and partly because I felt that Yngwie had stopped pushing musical boundaries. His technique is spectacular, but his music doesn't speak to me anymore.

It happens. For better or worse. It happens sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 23 2007, 12:54 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jun 22 2007, 05:58 PM) *
I am listening to that album every day and honestly i don't see one thing of Yngwie's playing there.

Yeah, probably you hear to much of Rusty in it because that's what you listen to (more than Yngwie).
I listen to Yngwie a lot and almost never to Rusty and I spot Yngwie in it immediately.

BUT... That's not a bad thing, I've listened to his self entitled album a bit more and rather get to like it. Spite the bad recording equipment as you said, the playing is, of course, great.

I will try to pick up a few more of his albums.

Yngwie will always be Yngwie. That says a lot.
Rust will always be rusty, today that's not a whole deal, but in 10 years from now, that might mean something. Since I don't have any personlay hate/love relation to any of them I hope they will both rule in 2017 biggrin.gif

EDIT: Yngwie is where he's at because he introduced something special. So did Rusty, not musically but rather in tremendos speed.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jun 23 2007, 01:02 AM

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 23 2007, 03:37 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 22 2007, 05:54 PM) *
Yeah, probably you hear to much of Rusty in it because that's what you listen to (more than Yngwie).
I listen to Yngwie a lot and almost never to Rusty and I spot Yngwie in it immediately.

BUT... That's not a bad thing, I've listened to his self entitled album a bit more and rather get to like it. Spite the bad recording equipment as you said, the playing is, of course, great.

I will try to pick up a few more of his albums.

Yngwie will always be Yngwie. That says a lot.
Rust will always be rusty, today that's not a whole deal, but in 10 years from now, that might mean something. Since I don't have any personlay hate/love relation to any of them I hope they will both rule in 2017 biggrin.gif

EDIT: Yngwie is where he's at because he introduced something special. So did Rusty, not musically but rather in tremendos speed.

i gotta agree with MickeM.

Also, just letting you know guys, ill be checking if the Malmsteem Regime is followed correctly( mad.gif ) in every thread/replies made( cool.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif ). I think Kris should make an Anouncement to let the newcomers know how the Regime works.

Thank you. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 23 2007, 05:44 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 22 2007, 06:41 PM) *

Do you mean that no one can beat the musical experience that you get by listening to Yngwie? If so, then it is a personal statement and also very useful to you – because it allows you to isolate one guitar style which you just have to learn! (+ we have quite some lessons covering it). smile.gif

Do you perhaps mean that Yngwie can’t be beaten technique-wise? I will have disagree, as there are lots of known (and unknown) guitarist who obviously play a lot higher bpm:s than Yngwie.

Or do you perhaps mean that if there were people who were as good as Yngwie – then Yngwie wouldn’t be the biggest name in shred? This leads us to another interesting topic: what is the difference between a successful career and originality/quality of musicianship?

In spite of discussions like these – most people would agree that Yngwie has both, a successful career can be measured in numbers, and being the inventor of neoclassical-shred-guitar playing should qualify Yngwie for number two as well.

So what’s up with this? Well if you want to be like Yngwie – you have to determine whether you want to have

A - a carrer as successful as his, or if you want to become

B - an original musician like him. Or perhaps you just want to

C - clone his sound, licks and songs.

If you are like me – only interested in the artistic challenges of music – then my personal conviction is that nothing beats bedroom guitaring (with a little help from sites like gmc!).

Now if you want to go for A, a successful career – bedroom guitaring stinks. Instead, work on your social skills and build a personal network consisting record label ceo:s or whatever (not quite sure of the titles here). OR you could do like gmc instructors – find some way of exposing your guitar playing to thousands of people every day (this would be quite a hassle without the internet I might add).

You still need tons of skills, quality and originality in order to sell (= appeal to people/buyers) – of course. Fortunately for some mtv artists, it doesn’t necessarily have to apply to your music (sometimes the haircut will do). My point is that you need something that sets you apart from your neighbour, again - that sells.

Back to Yngwie – let’s say you want to go for C. No problemos – you have found gmc, now find lots of time and practice motivation - and you have got it. Chances are, if you don’t loose lots of time touring and drinking beer like Yngwie does, that you probably are going to play even better than him.

IMPORTANT: This will ABSOLUTELY NOT lead to A or B.

If you want to achieve B – then you are probably better of not leraning any Yngwie licks at all, as he is one of the most cloned guitarists in history. Avoiding this was actually a conscious decision I made when starting out.

The recipe for originality to me, is pretty simple: combine styles that are polar opposite, that haven’t been combined before (which is just what Yngwie did: Bach + metal). And if people treat you like a freak, you know you are on the right path.

So – think about what your goals are, and make sure to not follow an illusion. Instead, analyse what/how others have done before you – and make a conscious decision.

Playing like Yngwie is easy, when there already is an Yngwie. Playing like Yngwie before there ever was an Yngwie…required Yngwie! smile.gif

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 23 2007, 06:01 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jun 23 2007, 11:44 AM) *
Do you mean that no one can beat the musical experience that you get by listening to Yngwie? If so, then it is a personal statement and also very useful to you – because it allows you to isolate one guitar style which you just have to learn! (+ we have quite some lessons covering it). smile.gif

Do you perhaps mean that Yngwie can’t be beaten technique-wise? I will have disagree, as there are lots of known (and unknown) guitarist who obviously play a lot higher bpm:s than Yngwie.

Or do you perhaps mean that if there were people who were as good as Yngwie – then Yngwie wouldn’t be the biggest name in shred? This leads us to another interesting topic: what is the difference between a successful career and originality/quality of musicianship?

In spite of discussions like these – most people would agree that Yngwie has both, a successful career can be measured in numbers, and being the inventor of neoclassical-shred-guitar playing should qualify Yngwie for number two as well.

So what’s up with this? Well if you want to be like Yngwie – you have to determine whether you want to have

(A) a carrer as successful as his, or if you want to become

(cool.gif an original musician like him. Or perhaps you just want to

© clone his sound, licks and songs.

If you are like me – only interested in the artistic challenges of music – then my personal conviction is that nothing beats bedroom guitaring (with a little help from sites like gmc!).

Now if you want to go for (A), a successful career – bedroom guitaring stinks. Instead, work on your social skills and build a personal network consisting record label ceo:s or whatever (not quite sure of the titles here). OR you could do like gmc instructors – find some way of exposing your guitar playing to thousands of people every day (this would be quite a hassle without the internet I might add).

You still need tons of skills, quality and originality in order to sell (= appeal to people/buyers) – of course. Fortunately for some mtv artists, it doesn’t necessarily have to apply to your music (sometimes the haircut will do). My point is that you need something that sets you apart from your neighbour, again - that sells.

Back to Yngwie – let’s say you want to go for ©. No problemos – you have found gmc, now find lots of time and practice motivation - and you have got it. Chances are, if you don’t loose lots of time touring and drinking beer like Yngwie does, that you probably are going to play even better than him.

IMPORTANT: This will ABSOLUTELY NOT lead to (A) or (cool.gif.

If you want to achieve (cool.gif – then you are probably better of not leraning any Yngwie licks at all, as he is one of the most cloned guitarists in history. Avoiding this was actually a conscious decision I made when starting out.

The recipe for originality to me, is pretty simple: combine styles that are polar opposite, that haven’t been combined before (which is just what Yngwie did: Bach + metal). And if people treat you like a freak, you know you are on the right path.

So – think about what your goals are, and make sure to not follow an illusion. Instead, analyse what/how others have done before you – and make a conscious decision.

Playing like Yngwie is easy, when there already is an Yngwie. Playing like Yngwie before there ever was an Yngwie…required an Yngwie!

Kris

Oh see, I want to take my guitaring somewhere in life. Maybe just be instructor or just try to make it big, but yoru right nothing beats bedroom guitaring biggrin.gif, I love doing that. I will always bedroom guitar, but im gonna try to do other things iwth guitar also. And cloning Yngwie NEVER. I love orginality, and people being unqiue. Thats what im all about. Learning his licks and everything. Sure why not, but play just like him NO WAY. I shall not do that to anybody.Now learning there lessons on GMC is different. Im not cloning them when learning there "In the Style of" Lessons. Im just practicing to become a better guitarist thats all tongue.gif. Imitating people is one of the worst things you can do as a guitarist I think.

And for Yngwie's skill, well i dont know if hes better than everybody, but i do think hes the techinical!!
For me hes an amazing player one of the best. Not saying he is better in skill than Rusty, but He just sounds better to me!!!

Edit: did i just contricdict myself right there tongue.gif ????

This post has been edited by Ryan: Jun 23 2007, 06:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 23 2007, 08:35 PM
1) He is one of the world's most skilled guitarists.
2) He might be a nicer guy if you got to know him (often that is the case with people).
3) Only thing i have against him is that he dresses like the 3rd Doctor Who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q51v47rOIk

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 23 2007, 08:51 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 23 2007, 02:35 PM) *
1) He is one of the world's most skilled guitarists.
2) He might be a nicer guy if you got to know him (often that is the case with people).
3) Only thing i have against him is that he dresses like the 3rd Doctor Who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q51v47rOIk

Hahahaha the 3rd doctor who haha nice one!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
The JEM
Jun 25 2007, 02:51 AM
i never knew my post would make this big of an argument

--------------------
my gear :
gibson sg standard ebony finish
roland 30 cube amp
boss ds-1 ultra mod pedal
crybaby 535(i think)
very hard dunlop picks
ernie ball super light strings (the pink package)
and some short skinny fingers attached to my hand

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jun 25 2007, 04:14 AM
laugh.gif lol, same here, but look now, its been a great disscussion, but it seems that it has cooled down a bit, it must because of the new Regime. cool.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:48 PM