3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Want That Big Record Deal?
Todd Simpson
May 1 2014, 05:46 AM
GMC:er
Companies are more interested in "young blood" than "old blood" just as a generalization smile.gif But what they REALLY want is an artists that can drive "traffic". E.G eyeballs/adspace etc. A band with a really kicking social media presence has a really big "Leg Up" as it were in the current scene imho smile.gif

So keep track of your numbers/analytics on all of your social media. Put that with your press kit. It's part of what you can use to sell your "Brand". Those numbers mean more and more to companies, especially since the decline in unit sales/product has forced the biz to shift and shift and shift to find new revenue streams.

One solid piece of advice is to consider an out of pocket monthly spend on INDIE PR FIRM to put your music in front of various bloggers/zines.

Here is one firm that does LAMB OF GOD among others. I don't know what they have as a standard rate but you might wanna hit them up smile.gif

http://www.adrenalinepr.com/

Also here is a link to the PRICELESS "KILLING IS MY BUSINESS" post series @ Decibel Magazine. Worth reading every one smile.gif

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/category/ki...is-my-business/

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 30 2014, 07:21 AM) *
So, in your acceptance, I should be looking forward to getting old, eh? biggrin.gif Well, I'd rather stay strong and agile and work harder biggrin.gif Thank you laugh.gif

I am currently on the hunt for companies which believe in young blood - there MUST be some out there smile.gif I really can't think that there's NO one - right?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 1 2014, 05:49 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 1 2014, 09:04 PM
Instructor
Great advices Todd and also, resources biggrin.gif You are right about this and I think it's more of a more thorough search matter smile.gif

I would be curious, have you ever approached a company which is unrelated to music (i.e. not a company that you can endorse) that you managed to tie a sponsorship deal with?

Ken - you are also right, but see, for me personally, Jack (in here) is tied to names that haven't got anything to do with artistry in general.. I thought that, ok, business is business, but as a respectable company with a very old history, they are sure not living up to their reputation.

Of course, this is dictated by the market, but still... ah, I am just an idealist smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 1 2014, 09:34 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 1 2014, 01:04 PM) *
I would be curious, have you ever approached a company which is unrelated to music (i.e. not a company that you can endorse) that you managed to tie a sponsorship deal with?

A lot of companies, unrelated to music, will underwrite the transportation costs of tours. Even credit card companies have done this (amex - Paul McCartney). I was on a tour that was partially underwritten by Tommy Hilfiger. I still have a pair of sunglasses and one of shirts that they gave us (ton of swag). They paid for the rental of two tour buses.

*I'm not sure what Jack Daniels as a company is supposed to live up to. They sell whiskey. They sponsor americana/country rock bands like Zac Brown and baseball teams like the Texas Rangers. They probably don't think you're their demographic.

This post has been edited by klasaine: May 1 2014, 10:48 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 2 2014, 10:29 AM
Instructor
I am sure it's a matter of selecting the right company for the whole thing. I started with the companies where I knew people, as that seemed fairly logical, but I think I should try to get over the relationships I already have and build new ones, by orienting myself towards the companies which are known to support youngblood.

Thanks for the insight Ken - I think that it's a matter of understanding the market first:

- what people are listening to your music
- what do those people like to consume/use and so on
- what companies produce the above used stuff

..so that's the path I'll follow smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:27 PM