More Pentatonic Questions.... :s, Eventually it will click :)
loundzilla
Sep 7 2009, 02:58 PM
GMC:er
Whats the difference between the minor pentatonic,A minor pentatonic, D minor pentatonic, natural pentatonic, major pentatonic etc..?

This will eventually click, but i feel i need to ask more questions before it does.

Cheers,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?
Download the GMC Guitar Theory Grimoire Here!

Guitars
Ibanez RGA42 (EMG 81/85 pickups)
Takemine G series electro acoustic

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 17)
Emir Hot
Sep 7 2009, 03:07 PM
Instructor
Pentatonic scale is the scale that has 5 notes smile.gif

Minor pentatonic is when you play 1, b3, 4, 5, b7. These five notes come from minor scale which has 7 notes 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7. That's why it's caled minor pentatonic. Obviously if you set your root to A note (as number 1 in the formula) you will be playing A minor pentatonic. If you set D then D minor pentatonic etc...

Major pentatonic works the same but comes from the major scale 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Major pentatonic would be 1, 2, 3, 5, 6.

There are more pentatonic scales but these are the most common.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 7 2009, 03:12 PM
Instructor
I don't know for sure what natural pentatonic is,
I guess it's just regular minor pentatonic.
A minor pentatonic and D minor pentatonic are different in many ways
but still they are the same "type" of scale.
A minor pentatonic is made from Am scale which goes like this:
A, B, C, D, E, F, and G.
And A minor pentatonic is : A, C, D, E, and G.
So we are taking I, III, IV, V and VII degrees from minor scale to make minor pentatonic.
Same thing goes for D minor pentatonic
cause D minor scale is D, E, F, G, A, Bb and C
while we use only D, F, G, A and C to get D minor pentatonic.

There's also major pentatonic as you said.
You can take a look at relative scales to see some relation here,
Relative major to Am is C major
and C major scale has the same notes as Am scale
but starting from C ofc.
Now, C major pentatonic ALSO has same note as Am pentatonic,
notes are C, D, E, G and A.
But the extraction formula is not the same cause we're not using same
degrees is in minor case to get pentatonic.
For majors we use I, II, II, V and VI degrees.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 7 2009, 03:12 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Sep 7 2009, 03:07 PM) *
Pentatonic scale is the scale that has 5 notes smile.gif

Minor pentatonic is when you play 1, b3, 4, 5, b7. These five notes come from minor scale which has 7 notes 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7. That's why it's caled minor pentatonic. Obviously if you set your root to A note (as number 1 in the formula) you will be playing A minor pentatonic. If you set D then D minor pentatonic etc...

Major pentatonic works the same but comes from the major scale 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Major pentatonic would be 1, 2, 3, 5, 6.

There are more pentatonic scales but these are the most common.

so with the minor pentatonic, can i set any root note a-g? And do i have to start and end with the same note?

--------------------
When I look in the mirror I see a face-melting guitar shredder.... maybe my mirror tells the future?

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 7 2009, 03:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (loundzilla @ Sep 7 2009, 03:12 PM) *
so with the minor pentatonic, can i set any root note a-g? And do i have to start and end with the same note?

Of course but you should know when to use it. For example if you want to jam over A minor chord you can play A minor pentatonic. You don't need to start or end with the root note but you should be in that scale.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 7 2009, 03:20 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Sep 7 2009, 03:17 PM) *
Of course but you should know when to use it. For example if you want to jam over A minor chord you can play A minor pentatonic. You don't need to start or end with the root note but you should be in that scale.

I see, its a little clearer now, ill start practising it alittle more.

Thanks for the help.

QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Sep 7 2009, 03:12 PM) *
I don't know for sure what natural pentatonic is,
I guess it's just regular minor pentatonic.
A minor pentatonic and D minor pentatonic are different in many ways
but still they are the same "type" of scale.
A minor pentatonic is made from Am scale which goes like this:
A, B, C, D, E, F, and G.
And A minor pentatonic is : A, C, D, E, and G.
So we are taking I, III, IV, V and VII degrees from minor scale to make minor pentatonic.
Same thing goes for D minor pentatonic
cause D minor scale is D, E, F, G, A, Bb and C
while we use only D, F, G, A and C to get D minor pentatonic.

There's also major pentatonic as you said.
You can take a look at relative scales to see some relation here,
Relative major to Am is C major
and C major scale has the same notes as Am scale
but starting from C ofc.
Now, C major pentatonic ALSO has same note as Am pentatonic,
notes are C, D, E, G and A.
But the extraction formula is not the same cause we're not using same
degrees is in minor case to get pentatonic.
For majors we use I, II, II, V and VI degrees.

Thans for this. I'm defo going to have to get back to the theory boards and learn all this some more!

Thanks m8 smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 03:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (loundzilla @ Sep 7 2009, 03:58 PM) *
Whats the difference between the minor pentatonic,A minor pentatonic, D minor pentatonic, natural pentatonic, major pentatonic etc..?

This will eventually click, but i feel i need to ask more questions before it does.

Cheers,

Penta is Greek word and it means 5. So pentatonic scale is 5 note scale. You have a lot of known and used pentatonic scales as well as hybrid pentatonics.
Some of the known pentatonics scales are : Major and Minor pentatonic scale. There are other that are less known to beginner guitarist and they are Dominant pentatonic, Minor7b5 pentatonic,Minor 6 pentatonic, Melodic minor pentatonic and Diminished pentatonic.
Each pentatonic scale has its formula and each scale sounds different.
Pentatonic scales are taken from specific scale. Major pentatonic has 5 notes that actually come from Major scale! So we can easily say that Major scale is extension of Major pentatonic, or that Major pentatonic is describing Major scale with less notes smile.gif Same thing goes for Minor pentatonic, it comes from natural minor scale.
The difference between A minor and D minor pentatonic is that they have different notes but use same formula to construct the scale.
A minor pentatonic is = A C D E G (A)
D minor pentatonic is = D F G A C (D)

As you see these two pentatonic scales have 4 out of 5 common notes. Common notes are A C D and G. The only difference is that one has F and one has E note. A minor pentatonic has E note, D minor pentatonic has F note.

We figured out these notes by following formula for Minor pentatonic which is :

Root, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, minor 7th and octave. This is everything counting from root of the scale!
We also have numbering formula which describes the same thing and is written like this : 1, b3, 4 , 5, b7, 8.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

--------------------

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 7 2009, 03:45 PM
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 7 2009, 03:37 PM) *
Penta is Greek word and it means 5. So pentatonic scale is 5 note scale. You have a lot of known and used pentatonic scales as well as hybrid pentatonics.
Some of the known pentatonics scales are : Major and Minor pentatonic scale. There are other that are less known to beginner guitarist and they are Dominant pentatonic, Minor7b5 pentatonic,Minor 6 pentatonic, Melodic minor pentatonic and Diminished pentatonic.
Each pentatonic scale has its formula and each scale sounds different.
Pentatonic scales are taken from specific scale. Major pentatonic has 5 notes that actually come from Major scale! So we can easily say that Major scale is extension of Major pentatonic, or that Major pentatonic is describing Major scale with less notes smile.gif Same thing goes for Minor pentatonic, it comes from natural minor scale.
The difference between A minor and D minor pentatonic is that they have different notes but use same formula to construct the scale.
A minor pentatonic is = A C D E G (A)
D minor pentatonic is = D F G A C (D)

As you see these two pentatonic scales have 4 out of 5 common notes. Common notes are A C D and G. The only difference is that one has F and one has E note. A minor pentatonic has E note, D minor pentatonic has F note.

We figured out these notes by following formula for Minor pentatonic which is :

Root, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, minor 7th and octave. This is everything counting from root of the scale!
We also have numbering formula which describes the same thing and is written like this : 1, b3, 4 , 5, b7, 8.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Cheers for this.

I assume all the minor pantatonics have the same shape 5 boxes? just played on the different notes?

Cheers,

--------------------

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 03:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (loundzilla @ Sep 7 2009, 04:45 PM) *
Cheers for this.

I assume all the minor pantatonics have the same shape 5 boxes? just played on the different notes?

Cheers,

Exactly!
And that goes for 3 note per string concept in Major scale as well as all Minor scales smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 7 2009, 05:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 7 2009, 04:48 PM) *
Exactly!
And that goes for 3 note per string concept in Major scale as well as all Minor scales smile.gif

It should be actually 7 boxes for those scales
since those are diatonic scales with 7 notes,
just to clear things up for loundzilla. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 05:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Sep 7 2009, 06:22 PM) *
It should be actually 7 boxes for those scales
since those are diatonic scales with 7 notes,
just to clear things up for loundzilla. smile.gif

I was referring to repetitiveness of patterns smile.gif Sure thing, 3 note per string approach is used for major and minor scale and its modes and they have 7 patterns smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 7 2009, 05:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 7 2009, 06:29 PM) *
I was referring to repetitiveness of patterns smile.gif Sure thing, 3 note per string approach is used for major and minor scale and its modes and they have 7 patterns smile.gif

Ofc, it just seemed to me that it needs more clarification
in order not to confuse someone. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
loundzilla
Sep 7 2009, 06:31 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Sep 7 2009, 05:34 PM) *
Ofc, it just seemed to me that it needs more clarification
in order not to confuse someone. smile.gif

Urm i'm confused lol. I thought that the minor pentatonic had 5 boxes ("patterns"?)

--------------------

Guitars

Equipment
Line 6 spider 3 75 amp
Line 6 POD studio UX2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 06:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (loundzilla @ Sep 7 2009, 07:31 PM) *
Urm i'm confused lol. I thought that the minor pentatonic had 5 boxes ("patterns"?)

See what you did now Muris ? laugh.gif

Minor pentatonic has 5 boxes (CAGED system)

Minor scale has 7 boxes (3 note per string system)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Sep 7 2009, 06:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
There are som other ones as well, im using a pentatonic which is actually a minor pentatonic with the 6'th instead of the 7'th. In my mind it goes as "Robben Ford -pentatonic" , since he uses it in some spots. I dont really know the proper name for it, so if somebody knows, please tell me!

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 06:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Sep 7 2009, 07:56 PM) *
There are som other ones as well, im using a pentatonic which is actually a minor pentatonic with the 6'th instead of the 7'th. In my mind it goes as "Robben Ford -pentatonic" , since he uses it in some spots. I dont really know the proper name for it, so if somebody knows, please tell me!

//Staffay

I already named that one Staffay its called Minor 6th pentatonic. From C it would be C Eb F G A C. Comes from Dorian mode and Melodic minor!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 8 2009, 01:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 7 2009, 07:34 PM) *
See what you did now Muris ? laugh.gif

Minor pentatonic has 5 boxes (CAGED system)

Minor scale has 7 boxes (3 note per string system)

Damn biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 8 2009, 01:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Sep 8 2009, 01:29 AM) *
Damn biggrin.gif

hahaha this is funny smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:01 AM