Metal Hogwarts [ Musicians Institute In Los Angeles ], student POV
MountainThistle
Oct 6 2017, 07:30 PM
GMC:er
Hello folks!

I'm going to share with you my story about my search for a full-time metal guitar rock fucking academy around the world. I called this operation Metal Hogwarts rolleyes.gif

Few words about myself. I'm a 30-year-old guy from a minor city Murmansk in northern Russia. I've became passionate about metal and acoustic music at age of 13-15 and always wanted to start a band, write songs about stories and emotions. However, I've always found excuses not to do so: education, finding source of living, low self-esteem (am I cut out for this?), relationships etc. I started to play guitar more than 10 years ago but have done it so infrequently that it might not be worth mentioning at all. Lately I found out that I have both resources and decisiveness to make the dream come true. I started with more constant guitar lessons (hey Gab!), collaborations and music video making:

After couple of years of guitar self education I found out that I'm tired of sitting and practicing alone, so I've made up my mind to find a community of musical soulbuddies to share passion, ideas and fun. I made a global research of institutes that answer the following requirements:

- full-time education;
- English (or Russian haha) language;
- contemporary music (metal, rock, country, soundtracks etc.) emphasis;
- low admission requirements;
- flexibility in both individual studying plan and length of programs they offer;
- reasonable tuition fees.

The best option I found was Musicians Institute in Los Angeles.

https://www.mi.edu/

It answered to my needs better than any other institute around the globe and I went for it. I've chosen 1.5 year Guitar Performance program and now I'm starting my third quarter. It was super scary and challenging in the beginning but I'm happy about my decision to come here: I dived into performance (never been on stage before!), music theory&harmony, vocal lessons and ear training all of which opened a whole new perspective on musical world for me.

By the end of the second quarter I surprisingly formed a band (!!!) of symphonic power metal dudes from Russia (guitar), France (drums), Poland (keys) and USA (bass, vocals). We called it Everdream and already performed one cover song at the main Concert Hall Metal Show - Bless the Child, Nightwish.

Attached Image

Here's a few of my performances at Live Performance Workshops (where you learn a song with a tab and perform it with random fellow musicians):

Facts about my program:

- every quarter consists of mandatory 6-7 classes, Live Performance Workshops, 1-2 electives and a private lesson every week with any tutor you want;
- every quarter costs around $7000 depending on classes you choose, housing costs around another $1000/month;
- there's around 30% of international students and lots of internationals among the faculty (the head of Guitar Program is from Norway);
- there's masterclasses with guest musicians, Open Counselings (every teacher has an hour/two during the week when you can come to discuss any question or just jam together);
- practice rooms operate 24/7;
- MI operates year round with two week holidays between quarters.

That's it so far! If you have any questions go ahead and ask cool.gif

Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Kristofer Dahl: Oct 6 2017, 09:10 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Oct 6 2017, 07:49 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Awesome story, Mountain! I wanted to go there to study myself when I was right out of high school but it just wasn't in the cards as they say. I know a couple of guys that went there to study and when they returned they were not just great guitar players but fantastic musicians and performers. So I have seen the results that can be achieved from attending MI. Congratulations on your success and rock on!

Rich...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 6 2017, 09:31 PM
CONGRATS!! Super inspiring story. It's great to see a player so passionate about playing that he's willing to move to the other side of the planet and study in a foreign language just to get neck deep in guitar. Your vids are very cool as well. I hope that GMC can be another part of your journey and another part of your musical family just like Musicians Institute. Gabe and myself offer intensive personal coaching in our Mentoring Program, so please do let myself and Gabe know if you are interested! For now, just keep going like you are going and I"m sure you will get where you want to be smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 8 2017, 06:04 PM
Learning Roadie
my dream !!!!

but i have childs.. women etc.....

hey i have GMC of course !!!

Cheers

laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
MountainThistle
Oct 8 2017, 06:10 PM
Well there's a wide variety of program length. So you might want to try 'MI Select' program which is only 3 months rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by MountainThistle: Oct 8 2017, 06:14 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 8 2017, 07:11 PM
You'll never know if you'll be a teacher some day. Preserve your books and take your notes well (and organized), even photocopy friends notes if they're taking a class you're not while you're still there wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Oct 11 2017, 10:42 AM
Learning Roadie
Living 24/7 with a guitar in your hands can't be a bad thing. But the biggest thing is networking and making contacts for the future with these places.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:43 AM