Help Me Gmc Pleasee :( Cleanness Problemm
Sami
Oct 3 2008, 12:54 AM
Learning Rock Star
I have this really strange problem with alternate picking runs, When it comes to playing anything 8th to 12th position on the bass strings there always seems to be some extraneous noise ringing, No matter HOW solo i try. I tried looking at my muting but it is the same as i use for every other position and i dont get the same problems. I am also using the neck pick up for these runs. A good example of something that would make this happen is the c major scale in position 8

I have no idea what to do sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 3 2008, 09:34 AM
Instructor
Might be the harmonics as well. smile.gif

Could you post a clip maybe?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Oct 3 2008, 09:38 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Also, your guitars action might be quite problematic - I have this problem to, it sounds.. kinda messy when trying to solo on low strings on high frets (especially 15+).

My opinon is, its the string, clashing with frets, what does the noise..

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Sami
Oct 3 2008, 01:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Oct 3 2008, 09:34 AM) *
Might be the harmonics as well. smile.gif

Could you post a clip maybe?

Post a clip of my playing down there? Sure thing i will later today

QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Oct 3 2008, 09:38 AM) *
Also, your guitars action might be quite problematic - I have this problem to, it sounds.. kinda messy when trying to solo on low strings on high frets (especially 15+).

My opinon is, its the string, clashing with frets, what does the noise..

This sound like its the problem, but if this is it, how do i fix it?

--------------------
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 01:06 PM
GMC:er
I can't believe you still have my quote from ages ago lol. Is it wrong to laugh at your own quotes biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Oct 3 2008, 01:08 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 3 2008, 01:06 PM) *
Is it wrong to laugh at your own quotes biggrin.gif

Its never wrong with your quotes mate laugh.gif

Post an audio or preferably a video clip so we can help you out, sounds strange indeed though.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 3 2008, 01:10 PM
I agree if you post a video clip we will be able to help you in seconds. There are a number of problems that can be causing it. If you are playing it really slow make sure you are pushing down firm enough. Make sure you aren't hitting any natural harmonics. Make sure your intonation is right and your string height is right for your guitar and make sure you are pushing the string down not too close to the fret marker.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Oct 3 2008, 01:40 PM
Learning Tone Guru
He can be hardly hitting natural harmonics, when playing slowly and carefully... I am 99.99999% sure, his problem si the action as I stated.

What kind of guitar do you have? Is it doing all the time? Do you have new strings with different gauge? Did you downtuned recently?

and most importantily:

How long is it, since youve been at guitartech for professional set-up?smile.gif I believe, that will solve the situation smile.gif

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Oct 4 2008, 01:22 PM
Jazz Instructor
I had a similar problem, that noise ringing when you lift a finger from the fret. The problem could be that your finger "sticks" to the string, at least that was problem for me, I simply cleaned strings with Fastfret and everything was fine.
However, maybe it is something else.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 4 2008, 04:30 PM
Instructor
I think Jakob has a point here, I would check it you are fretting those strings to hard, so the strings get clashing into frets and produce notes, similar to tapping if you know what I mean.

Part of solution would be to lower down the action a bit, use more rounded strings, and adapt your technique so you don't bump in the string too much, just fret them lightly as you can. This could be done easily through practice. Also, as always mate, try to take care about the muting with your right hand. As soon as you transfer to one string, all the other strings should be muted right away in order to prevent any additional noise. This is also achievable through practice.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Oct 4 2008, 06:22 PM
QUOTE (Sami @ Oct 3 2008, 01:54 AM) *
I have this really strange problem with alternate picking runs, When it comes to playing anything 8th to 12th position on the bass strings there always seems to be some extraneous noise ringing, No matter HOW solo i try. I tried looking at my muting but it is the same as i use for every other position and i dont get the same problems. I am also using the neck pick up for these runs. A good example of something that would make this happen is the c major scale in position 8

I have no idea what to do sad.gif

Pointless to ask this without a soundclip

+Quote Post
Sami
Nov 7 2008, 01:30 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Gmc!!!! Im So so so so so sorry for the late reply!!! I've just been so busy lately. I finally got around to recording a super slow version of an etude i'm working on, I played it at 40 bpm to show that the problem still occurs at slow speeds. There are a couple of mess ups but play attention to every note played on the lower strings, especially the part with the C Major arpeggio.
Thanks so much!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 7 2008, 01:45 AM
Instructor
That is really strange,I would give you instance answer if I could just
play your guitar for a minute which is not impossible atm. smile.gif

Ok,first of all,strings seems to be like a bit rusty or is it just me?
Second,do you hear the similar thing when you're playing on clean sound
or even less distorted?
What kind of tremolo do you have on your guitar,is it floating maybe?
What about the action,is it too low perhaps?

Sorry for too many questions,
I have few ideas about what it could be but I need more info. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Sami
Nov 7 2008, 01:51 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 7 2008, 01:45 AM) *
That is really strange,I would give you instance answer if I could just
play your guitar for a minute which is not impossible atm. smile.gif

Ok,first of all,strings seems to be like a bit rusty or is it just me?
Second,do you hear the similar thing when you're playing on clean sound
or even less distorted?
What kind of tremolo do you have on your guitar,is it floating maybe?
What about the action,is it too low perhaps?

Sorry for too many questions,
I have few ideas about what it could be but I need more info. smile.gif

Ah Muris! Thanks so much for the hasty response, Too many question? Not at all mate! the more the merrier smile.gif

The strings might be a bit rusty but i still get the same problem when i change the strings,
I do hear the same thing but it is much much quieter, barely audible
Yes it is a floating tremolo, Edge III pro one
The action is mid range, i like to have lower action though.

I wish you could play my guitar!! hahah

--------------------

+Quote Post
FenderBeater
Nov 7 2008, 04:01 PM
QUOTE (Sami @ Nov 7 2008, 01:51 AM) *
Ah Muris! Thanks so much for the hasty response, Too many question? Not at all mate! the more the merrier smile.gif

The strings might be a bit rusty but i still get the same problem when i change the strings,

I can duplicate that same sound if I don't mute properly. All you're doing is having the bass string ring out when you play other notes. That'll come with a little more practice, the muting. Concentrate on muting but not too much it can also be your knuckles hitting the other strings since you have that close fist approach (nothing wrong with it).

Here's how you can start. Drop the metronome all together (don't use it..it'll distract you at this point) and play slower than what would be 2 seconds to play a beat at 30 bpm. Super slow and watch the muting, I bet it goes away because that's what I'm hearing. Try doing this until you get good at..getting quiet. biggrin.gif Play as SLOOOW and as strict as you can and you'll find out if it's your knuckles or you not muting one of the bass strings. It also sounds like your frets are gone but try going slow, VERY slow, slow as in snails are speed demons, slow. You'll catch the problem, I have heard that before and can duplicate it myself if I don't mute the low E or A.

Hope it helps man.

+Quote Post
superize
Nov 7 2008, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Have you tried muting the strings even more then you are now.......

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 7 2008, 04:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sami @ Nov 7 2008, 01:51 AM) *

Good. smile.gif

Ok,lets try it step by step.
Keep the same amount of drive,
hit note C or D on low E string only and let it ring.
Be 100% sure that you mute all other 5 strings.
Can you still hear the same ringing?
If yes,then it might be your tremolo as well,
spins got loose and they vibrate too easily,
just like when you hit guitar body with your fist for similar effect.

If not then it could be only muting,
2 strings ringing together with high gain can produce similar sound.
Or it could be frets,kind a buzz but hard to notice on clean sound.

Wish I could say more atm,
try to explore these topics I mentioned and keep us updated! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:32 AM