Plugging Bass Reflex Ports, Need advice please
thefireball
Jan 8 2016, 03:50 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey community

I seem to remember Tony saying to me a few years ago about plugging the bass reflex ports (the holes near the tweeters) in my monitors in order to reduce the amount of bass I am hearing in my small room. I backed up near a wall. Does this create any implications in mixing?

My monitors are the Alesis M1 Active Mk2s - I recall Todd here owning them as well.
Am I right about plugging these? and any idea on what to use? I used socks for the longest time but took them out recently because it just looks trashy. Maybe some foam?? Doesn't seem they sell foam especially for this purpose so perhaps it's not supposed to be done.

Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 8 2016, 01:47 PM
GMC:er
Can be done but only if you're using it in lower volumes otherwise it will manipulate the woofers movement too much in a bad way or can even damage in high output.

By not using bass traps there is little you can do as the problems are %99 caused by reflections. You can also use sponge like material under the speakers to get a bit more clarity, affordable ones or ok Todd can help you with that.

If you want to get into making bass traps keep in mind start with the corners of the room,

If you can make them yourself its very affordable.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 9 2016, 04:29 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 8 2016, 07:47 AM) *
Can be done but only if you're using it in lower volumes otherwise it will manipulate the woofers movement too much in a bad way or can even damage in high output.

By not using bass traps there is little you can do as the problems are %99 caused by reflections. You can also use sponge like material under the speakers to get a bit more clarity, affordable ones or ok Todd can help you with that.

If you want to get into making bass traps keep in mind start with the corners of the room,

If you can make them yourself its very affordable.

ok cool. yeah i have these foam things under my monitors made by auralex.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 30 2016, 09:41 PM
GMC:er
Those foam things under the monitors are just to separate them from the desk so that they they don't "couple" with the desk and turn the entire thing in to one large transducer/speaker. The bass traps are built in corners to prevent what are called "STANDING WAVES" or resonant frequencies that are a problem in bedrooms typically somewhere in the bass range. At low volumes you should not have an issue. It's when mixing at higher volumes that these things really start popping up. However, at bedroom volume, the ports on those are probably ok but you can always get some standard auralex foam and stuff it in the ports if you like. It will tame the bass a bit.

If you notice your mix sounds thin everywhere but your bedroom, then it's time to tweak the ports smile.gif If your mix "travels" well, E.g. sounds ok other places than the bedroom, the the ports are probably fine as they are smile.gif

I did own a pair of those for nearly 10 years and still think they are a bargain!!! Only recently sold them off a bit back. Now it's just my KRK rokit6 pair and whatever I get next smile.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 9 2016, 10:29 AM) *
ok cool. yeah i have these foam things under my monitors made by auralex.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:30 PM