> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

14 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Monkeydathos's Technique & Creative Concepts, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 27 2017, 01:24 AM
Instructor
Nice choice! For backing chords, you need to identify one note per time. If you listen to the chord with close attention you'll be able to hear the notes or at least most of them. Try to hear them, and then find them in your guitar. This can be tricky at first, but it becomes easier with practice. Use your voice to imitate and identify the different notes (voices).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 27 2017, 07:41 PM
GMC:er
Right! I will post it as soon as I have an update on it!,

Meanwhile I am off work, my hand's skin is all rigid due the work. It's going take a few days before I goes back to the normal, but still managed to put some practicing on sweep picking today.

Just 30 min.

My timing is a bit off on some parts, mainly because I am still not 100% comfortable with some of the shapes that I am playing there.
(The piece is a slow down part from Jason Becker's Altitudes)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 28 2017, 06:40 PM
Instructor
That's a beautiful piece! I can see that your movements are right for this, you just need repetition and diary practice to get used to this. The more you practice, the tighter and faster you'll be able to do it. It's very important to practice at a speed that you can keep everything clean and tight and increase tempo slowly and gradually.

This is going on the right track. Keep on the hard work.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Aug 28 2017, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Aug 26 2017, 04:12 PM) *
So I've began working on that repertoire (chord melody style) that I've mentioned.

I've decided to started with something simple to practice my ear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXEnAuzjgKU

I've figure and isolated the melody:
https://youtu.be/1kwN5a5MxUE

But I am having a really hard time figuring out the backing chords
Do you have any advice on how to work out backing chords by ear? I really don't want to cheat my way looking at sheets so on, so on.

Here's the first two chords of Midna's theme. I had to slow down via audiocity. But to be honest I think I am missing a note, not sure.
The first chord I think its a G minor then the second I am playing a AMaj7#4 I guess it would give the A chord a Lydian vibe. Again I am pretty sure I am missing a note. What do you think.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 29 2017, 02:18 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, good job! Those chords are definitely a Minor and a Major based on Lydian mode. From what I can hear it seems that the second chord includes a Maj 6th instead of a #4, but both notes would work ok.

Keep going!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 9 2017, 02:01 AM
Hey Gab! How's it going.

Man, that video you shared on Modal Interchange. I can't fathom an explanation of the bigness of the explosion in my mind. biggrin.gif
Not even joking, from months now I've been looking for a way to break from diatonic progression. Add some spice, some extra flavor.
And that video provided some much desired answers!

I can't play guitar atm, recovering from at injury at work. (nothing serious another 2 days of rest and I am ready to go). But managed to bake up a little idea/workout inspired on the ideas of modal interchange.
Nothing too exotic, quite simple. As I am just starting to tackle with the idea.

https://soundcloud.com/renato-santos-658226572/slower-tempo-idea

Kinda wish I had like an 7 strings, mainly to some tasty bass notes tongue.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Sep 9 2017, 02:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 12 2017, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! I'm happy to know that the video had a great impact! Modal interchange is like magic for me. I'd like to recommend a book called "Voicing Modes". I think that you'll find a lot of inspiration on it: http://noeljohnston.com/voicingmodes.php

I like that idea that you've recorded, keep this stuff coming!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 24 2017, 03:18 PM
Yo, Gab/
I like the fact that he makes analogies with food and music biggrin.gif

I am going to be absent for a while, going to leave to Lisbon today and will official start music school tomorrow.
Already figure out train's routes and what not. So that's less a worry. Still I am hella nervous. biggrin.gif wacko.gif

I shall post update whenever I can.

Renato.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 25 2017, 12:09 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! Yeah, the analogies with food and music are really cool. Give it a try when you find some time.

I wish you all the best with the music school, keep me updated! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Sep 26 2017, 04:34 PM
So far I am enjoying it!
Although I had a revelation.
I have class that is history of jazz. given by this 84 y'old folk. He knows and I mean knowing every single Coltrane note by heart.
He even played with the old jazz cat legends. He's an amazing person to listen to.

YET, I often disagree with him. For you see he has kind of a elite jazz view of music. For instance, somewhere in his story. He often compares other genres of music to rubble. Like how he would let his kids listen to stuff like Ramones, but once he was at home, they would be prohibited to listen to such genres.
I like listening to jazz and I might even be able to play it, but I won't be and i don't want to be (pure) jazz musician and that's fine by me. That's the realization I had.

The other classes are actually me favorite part of the school.
At the ear training class, the teacher made us sing simple major scales and basic intervals. To me this is really really new territory, I am one of those guys who always had a mental block regarding singing, and it kinda feels good getting out of my comfortable zone and learning new stuff.

The guitar teacher is pretty awesome dude a swell. cool fact. He was actually mate with Jullian Lage in music school ohmy.gif.

Regardless, I am really happy with the decision I've made to pursue this path.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Sep 26 2017, 08:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 27 2017, 02:15 PM
Instructor
You are living a dream man! I enjoyed every word that you've written here! You are surrounded by really talented and well prepared musicians. You'll never regret this desicion my friend. I'm happy for you.

I find that comments by your Jazz teacher funny. Don't worry too much about how close minded he can be, enjoy his knowledge and music world. Get into it, and then get our whenever you want. I always enjoy talking to people that is so obsessed with one style and that thinks that other styles are rubbish. There is a lot to learn from them too.

Julian Lage is from another planet, so being able to interact with someone who studied along with him must be priceless!

Enjoy and keep telling me these nice stories!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 3 2017, 06:39 PM
Man, my combo class is intimidated as hell. Everyone is like music conservatory graduated, or short
I am playing with two vocalists, one violinist, drummer, bassist and another guitar. I feel so little in comparison with them.

Had to learn a few tunes on the spot, which was kinda uncomfortable but manageable. Then had to improvise on the spot and my brain just forgot how to guitar. Meanwhile the other guitar player was a straight jazz man.

sigh, guess I will have to put twice as much work if I want to catch up to the others.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 4 2017, 02:13 PM
Instructor
Those are very positive things mate!! The best way to become a better musician is by being surrounded by more advanced ones. Don't feel intimidated, feel happy, enjoy and learn! It's also cool to know that this motivates you to practice more at home. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 6 2017, 06:28 PM
This is what I had to solo over.

And failed miserably.....

So I've been trying really really really hard to think of the chords progression while solo'ing.
I looped the first 16 bars and here it is. But I am still struggling.

It sounds pretty badddd. Kinda robotic. Sound like I am just using arpeggios of every chord rather than soloing over the chords..
Still it's an improvement. Not to mention I kinda lost track of the backing in the last few secs. biggrin.gif
Man this is hard, I suck at improv.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Oct 6 2017, 06:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 7 2017, 06:35 PM
Meh gave it another try but lost myself completely after 0:49, especially when you change chord every bar. It's still tough for me to keep up.
No idea how to make something out of that CM7-cm6, probably should just play with the thirds.
and that fast part the end...wel rip.

Edit: Also doing some improvements in ear training. Been working on just Major scale intervals, in 100 questions I missed 5.
It's still not like I hear it and can name it. Usually take around 2-5 secs from me to get it, but I am putting 45-1h every day on just interval recognition.

The toughest part is when the intervals are played harmonically. I have a really hard time singing the lowest note.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Oct 8 2017, 04:59 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 9 2017, 02:25 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, cool update!

It's great to know that you are dedicating that time to ear training. It's the best way to invest your time as a musician so please keep going and you won't regret it.

About improvisation, yes, start with thirds. The best way to get familiar with that chord would be to practice the arpeggio all along the fretboard, both vertically and horizontally. What modes are you trying to play over both chords?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Oct 13 2017, 07:24 PM
Another two added to the list.

Song for my father
All Blues

Not only improvisation is kind meh, but I am also kind of struggling doing rhythm. Interesting rhythms that's it.
For instance if you have a GMajor 7 from 2 bars. I would probably just play it with a bit of swing following the beat.
But then you have this kinda staccato where you focus on upbeats and switch between inversion in the same chord or do tiny fills and what not. A more piano comping approach.
Which I am lacking, mainly because I am not very familiar with it.

About improvisation, well I rarely think about scales and more of the arpeggios of the chords or the melody of the music, then I might add a few extra color. Maybe I will throw a major seventh in a minor chord and get that harmonic minor feels. etc, etc or a #4 over a major 7th chord.
Still, I just need to get familiar with this stuff and practice, practice...which can be a bit frustrating tbh. Today my practice was 0. Had one of those days where I was getting pissed at everything music related.

Kind getting a bit stressed trying not to suck or doing mistakes.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Oct 13 2017, 08:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 14 2017, 05:37 PM
Instructor
Great music! I like it, thanks for sharing. At first I thought that she was from Brazil, but she is from Portugal. Love those rhythms.

I think that maybe you'll find interesting this video, let me know what you think.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 1 2017, 07:06 PM
Sorry for the late update.

Jens as been my saving grace to be honest. I've learnt a lot of stuff from his youtube channel.
Usually my backing tracks tend to be a metronome and me looping chords into Ditto Looper.

Going to be honest here. I really dislike the current guitar classes I'vent learnt anything new and I really don't feel any kind of human connection with the teacher. The classes has 4 students, so I guess its hard to have that 1-on-1 connection, but still I feel like he has done this so much that he really doesn't care that much, even though he's a cool guy.

Right now working on trying to play with the 2 and 4 beats of the metronome. Which has kind helping a bit regarding comping.
But still have much to learn. I have exams in 2 weeks, so I will probably lock my self up and just practice.
Stuff like.
Justin's been another of my biggest help, trying to get around jazzy stuff. tongue.gif

Will keep you update on the results. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 1 2017, 07:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 3 2017, 02:18 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the update!

What are the things that you will be practicing these days? what's the exam about?

Yeah, Justin's lessons are great too.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:04 AM